forum

[Archived] osu! editor: 1ms off between offset and compose ticks

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Hinsvar
I'll be honest: I don't know how to explain it in 50 characters (I'm sure the title is 100% confusing; I really don't know how to summarize it). And I don't know how to explain it in a general manner even if given any amount of character, so I'll just give a case example.

I planned to map a song, which offset is at 9288 (00:09:288). Strangely enough, if I hover to the tick where the uninherited timing point resides, it shows 00:09:287 instead of 00:09:288. And yes, it's off by 1ms.

What's worse is the fact that you won't be able to slow down a slider at the offset because the note there will be snapped 1ms earlier than the timing points, making it unaffected.

This happens rarely, yet they are so sporadic it feels as if something like an RNG decides what song gets this and what doesn't (I even tried reencoding an mp3 of a song that gets affected by this in the editor, but the reencoded file is also affected too).

This problem has been lying around for years, but I guess it's just never mentioned. Or maybe I missed it and it's already reported but yet to be fixed (and I seriously don't know the keyword to start finding this problem in the forum). I usually just skip mapping the song that gets affected by this, but I figured I have to tell this ASAP.

The only way to fix this for now is to shift the timing points by 1ms earlier, but if you move the slider around it'll be 1ms earlier from the ticks again. Leaving it helps, but then it'll be unsnapped by 1ms.

osu! version: 20150414.2 (latest)
Bara-
Open the .osu in notepad
Find the the offset under timing points
It should be something like 123.45789,some other stuff
The offset here should be 123, but it displays 124, remove the .45789 as that'll make the offset off a little
Topic Starter
Hinsvar

Nope. As you can see, the number for the offset doesn't have any numbers behind a dot. Your method will only work if the offset is indeed a decimal number.

And I'm also sure that "329.67032967033" is the number the editor uses to interpret the BPM value (which is 182 in this case). I am sure you've known this much, though :P

*it's 9286 now due to me testing by moving the offset to 9286. Strangely, the tick where the timing points are now shows 00:09:285 (and yes, it means objects will be placed there)...
Bara-
Try setting offset via f6 menu
VeilStar
This? t/242055
Timorisu
I don't know if this is quite what you meant but I've been encountering a similiar problem recently.

https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/3288469

This is the time of the white tick

https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/3288473

This is the time of the object (which is exactly 1ms off)
TheVileOne
1 ms unsnapped objects is normal behaviour. The variance in an object's offset as it is moved can vary by 1 ms early or later than the intended offset in all modes except mania.

The offset of the section being off is likely due to the bpm of the song relative to the offset you chose. The length of a beat has a decimal part and depending on what number you sync the timing with, this decimal can fall on either side of a given whole number. The displayed value will be the value without the decimal component.

The accuracy can be improved, but the benefit would be limited as long as we still store hitobject time data as integers.
abraker
Reminds me of my issue here
TheVileOne
^ That is more fixable. I'm sure you got a bunch of 1ms unsnap errors after doing so.
stz
i hate that it's been 8 years and there's no real resolve to this