forum

[Archived] Osu Edit Mode's "Test" crashes my osu in stable stream

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Omegafyre
Problem Details:
Hello, I have had this problem in the past and somehow fixed it, but it's back. Here's what happens.

Omegafyre wrote:

Problem Details:
When I hit the Test button in Edit, my screen sort of freezes, and I can hear the song go on, but the screen is frozen. The only way I can close osu after that is to alt+f4. Currently I am not able to test any beatmaps which I find is a problem. I have tried turning off my custom skin and using the default one, and it still causes the problem.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
http://i.imgur.com/o2TET3r.jpg

osu! version: 20150414.2 (latest)

I was able to resolve it once by switching to beta stream, running 'test' there, and then switching back to stable stream. I have tried to do that process again and while test was usable in beta, it won't work when I switch back to stable, which is what I usually play on.

My CURRENT osu version is 20150515beta

Again, what happens is:
I go into edit mode on stable stream, click on test, and my osu freezes. If I alt-f4 it sort of unfreezes in edit mode, but when I try to exit it freezes again (I know really weird.)
Sorry for making this post so long I didn't know how to phrase it shorter
VeilStar
The other thread.

Does switching to windowed mode before entering the editor work around the issue?
(Maybe the game fails to switch to borderless properly when entering the editor, if you're using fullscreen.)
If so that's pretty much all I can really advice if you want to keep using the stable release stream.

It should get solved whenever the new OpenGL finally hits the stable release stream.
Topic Starter
Omegafyre
Okay, I will get an update when the new OpenGL comes to stable release stream.
TheVileOne
Why are you using stable instead of beta?
Topic Starter
Omegafyre
Should I be using beta? I always defaulted to stable.
Trosk-

Omegafyre wrote:

Should I be using beta? I always defaulted to stable.
It is recommended, since the editor sometimes has problems with DirectX, and osu! has problems in general with the OpenGL used in the Stable version.

So, if changing to Beta release stream doesn't bother you, better do it :P
Topic Starter
Omegafyre
I do remember beta giving me more fps drops than stable.
TheVileOne
Stable shouldn't crash unless something on your end is causing it. Graphics card drivers, streaming software, in game displays can cause this. I remember freezing when having fraps running while going into Test mode. Check that you don't have any programs that may not like changing resolutions / swapping from borderless mode running.