forum

[Archived] Legal to download Beatmaps?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
BeatScrub
So, Ive played osu! for a while and I really enjoy it. But what concerns me is that when downloading them, does that consider to be piracy? Why I ask this question is that because I don't know where the songs come from or where the beatmap makers get them from. I read the Copyright page but I'm still a little unconviced, and I would feel beter if I got direct answers.

Questions:

Is osu! legal to play?
Are the beatmaps illegal to download (due to copyrighted songs being used)
Are approved beatmaps legal, (becuase the maker of the beatmap bought it him/herself? I don't know :P)
Are beatmaps with pirated songs deleted?

Thank you for your awnsers. 8-)
osu! version: 20150305 (latest)
MillhioreF
As part of osu!'s Terms of Service, all map uploaders are implicitly assumed to have the rights to distribute the songs displayed in their map, which makes osu! itself perfectly legal to play, and the maps more or less legal to download.

Content creators are able to file DMCA requests to get their songs taken down, which will render them undownloadable - it's probably ethical to delete them from your hard drive if you already have them when they're taken down, but you can't be prosecuted if you don't, since osu! never gives away records of who downloads each map.

Basically, there are a few grey areas, but you're in no danger whatsoever with the law, so don't worry about it :D