forum

[confirmed] Long artist beatmap causes problems when submitting

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ZZHBOY
Problem Details:
map link: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/212091
I got a dq on my own map due to wrong metadata( rong artist), then when I fixed all issue and submit with correct artist, a pop-up window appeared notice me Error during upload: Data too long for column "artist" at row 10.
My userpage shown I submitted map but I can't download it any more.
I uploaded to puush for you to do any research on files in that map, link: http://puu.sh/gvzeX.osz (6.12MB)
Screenshot will be shown below and some information of artist can be find at here p/3951894
hope it can be solved soon :3

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

http://puu.sh/gvxPe.png

osu! version: 20150305 (latest)
TicClick
I guess I can confirm this; the limit is 81 characters.
I was able to upload the map with the following in the Artist field:
My fake artist which I made up for sole purpose of BSS testing and st...81 chars

One character more, and server returns the following error:
Lach
There was a similar deal going on with osz titles and folders exceeding the windows file path character limit. Someone probably set a limit on the artist field to what they thought was a sensible number. But now with everyone insisting on ~correct metadata~, this is going to become more and more of a problem.
Bara-
Why is this a confirmed osu problem?
It's Windows's error for not being able to oprn filename paths which exceeds 256 characters (I was told when asking about something like this 2 years ago)
Topic Starter
ZZHBOY

baraatje123 wrote:

It's Windows's error for not being able to oprn filename paths which exceeds 256 characters (I was told when asking about something like this 2 years ago)
so can you tell me how to deal with it?
Bara-
You can't AFAIK
Windows disallows total lengths of above 256 characters (maps get corrupt then)
I needed to completely change artist name, because it was too long (also was incorrect though)
It was
Hiyama Kiyoteru, KAITO, Kamui Gakupo & Kagamine Len - Yozora ni Hana Saku Onegai Samaa!
A little to long (caused map getting corrupt due to windows's limitation)
Topic Starter
ZZHBOY

baraatje123 wrote:

You can't AFAIK
Windows disallows total lengths of above 256 characters (maps get corrupt then)
I needed to completely change artist name, because it was too long (also was incorrect though)
It was
Hiyama Kiyoteru, KAITO, Kamui Gakupo & Kagamine Len - Yozora ni Hana Saku Onegai Samaa!
A little to long (caused map getting corrupt due to windows's limitation)
maybe you should know map with wrong metadata can't go for rank under current situation, so this problem must be solved then my map referred before can go rank then :?
Bara-
Well
As I said, it's not in Osu's side, but windows's
You should be able to shorten the map name (for example, on one of my maps --> Go Ichinose, Junichi Masuda, Shota Kagayama --> can be said as Go Ichinose, and the otgers go into tags
Or with that Utagumi Setsugekka (Maware)
They started with full names, but they can be shortened
Try searching if the artists are in a group for that song, and see how it's called
I could be completely wrong though, but I strongly think this is due to windows
TicClick

baraatje123 wrote:

because it's the total length of all meaningful fields that could /and probably should/ be limited, not a single field's length
Bara-
Ohhh
So iy only happens when artist is to long and not with title
Yep, then it should be fixed
Kayano
so we keep two versions of this song in disqualified/popped status for a month
i hope this issue can be fixed soon or bns can qualify as a special case
peppy
Put the main artist in the artist field and leave the rest out?
Okoratu
I think the map in question here was disqualified because it did that.
The 'official' thing which should be in the Artist field or the romanised field is too long and thus causes this error.

If we want to solve this the artist field should be longer instead of just using something shorter
peppy
You'll have to work to the limitations of the osu! system. I don't have any intentions on increasing the size of the artist field for now.
Topic Starter
ZZHBOY

peppy wrote:

Put the main artist in the artist field and leave the rest out?
i only want to know if this set can be ranked without the "rest" during current situation :?
Kayano
So if we can make a simplification like this:

Official Titles wrote:

Nishikino Maki (CV.Pile), Sonoda Umi (CV.Mimori Suzuko) & Ayase Eri (CV.Nanjo Yoshino)
Yurishiro Ginko (CV: Arakawa Miho), Yurikesa Lulu (CV: Ikuta Yoshiko), Tsubaki Kureha (CV: Yamane Nozomi)

Simplified Titles wrote:

Nishikino Maki, Sonoda Umi & Ayase Eri
Yurishiro Ginko, Yurikesa Lulu, Tsubaki Kureha
and further possible long artists
VeilStar

peppy wrote:

I don't have any intentions on increasing the size of the artist field for now.
Moving to low priority then.