This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Rhythm Rookie
1 posts
Minhtam wrote:
I can't begin to tell you how many times I drop a combo because I thought red was blue, or blue was red. And it got me thinking as to how I can fix this so that I don't have to rely on color, or at the very least, use different colors (brighter red, darker blue) to help me read the map easier. And as of this moment, there is no such option.

I thought about saying something about it, but I can understand that part of the difficulty of reading a Taiko map was that the colors red and blue used in the game are extremely close in terms of lightness and saturation. So I thought, "Ok, I guess that could fly as an excuse to not give us that option for skinning in Taiko." Then I found this thread: t/202885

So let me get this straight. A colorblind player can play osu (black background, white hitcircles), catch the beat (black background, white shapes), and osu!mania (different columns), but he can't play Taiko because the red dons and the blue kats appear the same color to him? How in the world is that fair?

Hence I feel that there should be an option for the Dons and Kats should be different shapes. No, not by default, of course, but if a skinner wishes to make Dons and Kats of different shapes, he or she should have the ability to do so. Just make a don.png or kat.png to include in the skin folder. That's all it should take.
Rhythm Incarnate
1,265 posts
Endaris wrote:
_Meep_ wrote:
It was never supposed to be different in shapes because that'd make reading 10x easier

How did you jump to that conclusion?

It's hard to read because differentiating between multiple red and blues in a small timeframe is hard
By utilizing shapes, it'd be easier to make out which are which
Rhythm Incarnate
4,127 posts
_Meep_ wrote:
It's hard to read because differentiating between multiple red and blues in a small timeframe is hard

That's what you think but did you actually try it?
What could be advantageous is a difference in color AND shape but I am pretty sure that it doesn't matter at all if the notes differ by color OR shape.
Combo Commander
394 posts
I want pink and purple
Rhythm Incarnate
1,265 posts
Endaris wrote:
_Meep_ wrote:

That's what you think but did you actually try it?
What could be advantageous is a difference in color AND shape but I am pretty sure that it doesn't matter at all if the notes differ by color OR shape.

Well it's not really proven, but more of an assumption
However, this mania is the same case.
For example, compare t/539048 and your default osu skin
The notes are clearly different, however I read both of them in a totally different way.
I played the love live one because I have played the game before and have got myself used to seeing these circles fall down rather than blocks of mania notes
This could easily be replicated if this request was approved, which is why I say it may make it easier for many others.
Rhythm Incarnate
4,127 posts
That's a matter of conditioning though. You are already used to it, therefore you do better with it.
At the same time I'm 100% sure that the slim design of manianotes has a huge advantage for reading dense and complex charts at higher skilllevels.
You can already change the shape of Taiko notes right now (to squares for example), just not for differentiation between don and kat. Yet none does that.
Reply 21 posts jump | prev  1, 2