forum

[Archived] osu crashing in editor

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Skyleia
Problem Details:

whenever i run editor, at some random moment (doesn't matter what i do) it tells me a message "an error occured" and then osu freezes completly
it just remains as it is (shown on screen)
however, when i try to shutdown the computer, then osu prevents shutdowning and asks me if i want to save my progress (regardless of my choice, it wont unfreeze no matter what i do)

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

http://i.imgur.com/JjgSCSX.png

osu! version: 20150305 (latest)
TheVileOne
Try updating your graphics card drivers.
BBB
I am having the same issue, I checked my drivers and I'm pretty sure they're up to date. (ATI Radeon HD 4800)

It usually happens while I am scrolling through the timeline and playing the song at the same time. It pops an error and then freezes, but the music keeps playing. The only way to fix it is to close osu! through the task manager :s

using b20150304.7beta
Topic Starter
Skyleia

TheVileOne wrote:

Try updating your graphics card drivers.
just updated them, still doesn't work

My graphics card is AMD radeon HD series 7700, so it seems like this issue is somehow related to this series
PatZar
my editor is fine
RvNovae
what do you do right before osu freezes?
Topic Starter
Skyleia

Olivarus wrote:

what do you do right before osu freezes?
actually it doesn't matter, like its completly random
one time i was just listening to song and looking at the map, other time i was replacing notes
Yauxo
same problem, but I assumed this was reported many many times ago?

Mostly happens on CE (obviously, no report to be made here), sometimes on BETA and Stable. Past few builds included. It seems to happen for no apparent reason and just kills the entire task.
BeatofIke
This is happening to me too and I have the same brand graphics card as the OP (AMD radeon HD series). I really don't know what's going on with that specific graphics card and I'm not sure whether you have to overclock it, update it, change osu! config file, or none of the above and it's just a bug (which I doubt). >.<

Setting the fps limiter to 120 or 240 fps does NOT help either, it still freezes and it ONLY happens in the editor and NOT anywhere else. I also tried using beta and cutting edge bulid and it still freezes and crashes, so yeah bug is probably not the issue here. I will consider updating every single driver (not just my graphics card) and check for any malware first to see if that fixes anything. More to come!

Update: My graphics card is already updated so that did not fix anything. Any more suggestions? I will keep you guys updated.
In the meantime, I will try scanning for any malware and see if that fixes anything. More to come.

More Update: I switched to OpenGL and so far, so crashes. I will keep an eye on this one.
My only solution I have for now is use DirectX for gameplay only and OpenGL for editing only.
TheLukay
I had this error yesterday too. Errormessage and even while displaying it, it froze completely. Happened in cutting edge and stable. GPU is R9 290. OS is Windows 7 and 8.1(i tried on two PCs with the same GPU)
yugijedi
I have the same problem, sometimes osu crashed even after 5sec in editor, I cannot do anything
yugijedi
The problem does just appears when I'm editing my own map...try it out

EDIT: It happens if the map is your own and not submitted!!
Wingman626

yugijedi wrote:

The problem does just appears when I'm editing my own map...
yugijedi, what are your computer specs?

i do not get this error at all, i am running on a dell inspiron n7110 model laptop with an Intel i5-2430M 2.4GHz Sandy Bridge Processor with integrated
"Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000"

but thats the thing, my setup isn't affected by this. if you look at the trend below:::
----------------------------

TheLukay wrote:

I had this error yesterday too. Errormessage and even while displaying it, it froze completely. Happened in cutting edge and stable. GPU is R9 290. OS is Windows 7 and 8.1(i tried on two PCs with the same GPU)

binaryfruit wrote:

I am having the same issue, I checked my drivers and I'm pretty sure they're up to date. (ATI Radeon HD 4800)

BeatofIke wrote:

This is happening to me too and I have the same brand graphics card as the OP (AMD radeon HD series)

arturekczek wrote:

My graphics card is AMD radeon HD series 7700, so it seems like this issue is somehow related to this series
----------------------------

it looks like "arturekczek" has caught on to it at the time.

"TheVileOne" has stated to update your graphics drivers in an earlier reply to this thread. make sure that it is up to date. it also wont hurt to update other things like XNA, .NET, DirectX, Motherboard/BIOS, ETC. ETC. just to rule out other factors

but to me, this looks like a graphics driver issue with this specific series of graphics card from this manufacturer. either you wait for the company to release a new update, update to the latest driver if your behind/roll back if your not behind, or try out a different computer or graphics card from a different lineup.
Damnae
Assuming there's a break visible when you get the crash (as with the first screenshot) then the problem will be fixed soon-ish.
hehe

Damnae wrote:

Assuming there's a break visible when you get the crash (as with the first screenshot) then the problem will be fixed soon-ish.
praise the lord, its been happening for so look for me as well. AMD R9 200 series, with a break, and with an unsubmitted map.
Wingman626

handsome wrote:

praise the lord, its been happening for so look for me as well. AMD R9 200 series, with a break, and with an unsubmitted map.
this should be labled as confirmed

CORRECTION: ive been told that this thread cannot be confirmed because more information is needed to replicate this issue. it appears that this problem is not GPU specific and other people with different GPU line-ups also have this issue.

it appears that people with this line of GPU are having the same issue (i think. maybe people with other gpu's have this same issue as well).

nothing can be done unless it is looked at and support can be tweaked for this

but all in all, and also stated above

wingman626 wrote:

either you wait for the company to release a new update, update to the latest driver if your behind/roll back if your not behind, or try out a different computer or graphics card from a different lineup.
BanchoBot
Issue(s) in this thread have been addressed by the following changes:
  1. Fix "Break" text not being reloaded on device reset under DirectX. (Damnae)
The changes will be applied to builds newer than b20150401.2.

Please follow up in this thread if you believe more work needs to be done to fix the mentioned issues. If they have not yet been resolved, please provide any new details that may have arisen after this build.
Prophecy
resolved?
JBHyperion
I'm still getting this problem, although weirdly, I had the editor running fine for several hours today, and then had three crashes within ten minutes of each other, seemingly with no reason (wasn't running anything particularly intensive, etc.)

I'm running Win7 on an Intel i5-3350P with an Nvidia GTX 660 gfx card, and all my drivers are up to date. I used to be able to avoid this by limiting frames to 120fps, but as of today that doesn't seem to work anymore... Gonna try switching to OpenGL for editing as BeatofIke suggested and see what happens.

Edit: Gave up on OpenGL, since trying to change FPS with F7 seems to crash my client anywhere in the game lol. I don't seem to be having this problem anymore though, so no idea what to make of it really :/
Razor Sharp

JBHyperion wrote:

I'm still getting this problem, although weirdly, I had the editor running fine for several hours today, and then had three crashes within ten minutes of each other, seemingly with no reason (wasn't running anything particularly intensive, etc.)

I'm running Win7 on an Intel i5-3350P with an Nvidia GTX 660 gfx card, and all my drivers are up to date. I used to be able to avoid this by limiting frames to 120fps, but as of today that doesn't seem to work anymore... Gonna try switching to OpenGL for editing as BeatofIke suggested and see what happens.
I also get crashes now..
show more