forum

[Archived] Beatmaps Processing forever, songs missing

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Lessthansane
Problem Details:
I recently added an SSD to my rig as a boot drive and moved my HDD to a different drive location, and since then, when I try to play a song I've had previously, I get caught in a loop of "Beatmap Processing." After browsing the forums, it seemed the fix was to rename the osu.db file and have the client refresh it. Upon creation of a new database, I seem to be able to play songs normally but have about 5000 beatmaps missing from my collection, including many for which I am ranked. Any suggestions as to how to either create a full new db or correct the corrupt one?

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
http://gyazo.com/4f41b43ec9517e04639817dbefa210d6 - Shows that I should have 8125 maps.
http://gyazo.com/7c7f5724a599c7cbeaf3b0bc23ce2271 - Shows that only about 3100 made it.

osu! version: 20150203.7 (latest)
drum drum
delete any files with large number strings on the end of their names
VeilStar
I (vaguely) remember going over this with Lessthansane at #help a few weeks ago.
(Or something along those lines, my perception of time is aweful.)
Anyway, while I can't really remember what the exact issue was or anything of the likes, I'll assume it got 'mostly fixed'.

That said, it seems something causes this to mess up again.
Could you try the following?;

Cut and paste (or move) your entire Songs folder elsewhere (doesn't matter where), launch osu!,
go to the songs list, and close osu! down again.
Then move the Songs folder back to where it should be,
open osu! again, open the options menu, and at the bottom click the "repair folder permissions" button.
Then go in the songs list, if it quickly does some processing let it finish, and then press F5 to re-process all maps once again

See if that made any difference at all?

If not then try the following;

Create a new folder in your osu! installtion folder (doesn't matter what it's called), and move all your beatmaps to there.
Then move beatmap folders back to the Songs folder in batches of 200 (or however many you want), and check the map count each time.
And see which beatmaps 'mess up' and don't show in osu!.
Once you got those beatmaps filtered out, delete osu!.db again, and let osu! re-process all songs.
Then move the beatmaps that didn't work back to the Songs folder and see if they catch this time?

If that doesn't work either then I'm afraid you'll have to redownload all those maps.
Topic Starter
Lessthansane
Yeah Veilstar, you did try to help me a little while ago. I've tried basically everything I can think of and it's just not working, so I'm thinking I just have to rebuild my collection from scratch, which sucks, but a broken Osu! sucks more. Trying to move songs in 200s is crashing Osu hard, causing force quits regularly. I appreciate the effort you put into my shenanigans. I'll just get back to the beatmap pack page and get to work ;)
Topic Starter
Lessthansane
just another update: newly downloaded songs are functioning normally. My old folders still crash the game (I'm holding on to them just in case in a side-folder).
Nathanael
Have you reinstalled Windows?
If so, then it's probably the file permissions. Copy (not move) everything somewhere else so these files won't have the old permissions.
Topic Starter
Lessthansane
By copy everything, do you mean the entire install folder or just the songs folder? I have all of my non-functioning songs in a quarantined folder. And I recently did reinstall windows to a boot drive
Nathanael

Lessthansane wrote:

By copy everything, do you mean the entire install folder or just the songs folder? I have all of my non-functioning songs in a quarantined folder. And I recently did reinstall windows to a boot drive
The whole osu! client. The songs folder wouldn't be the only one affected.
TheVileOne
We can't help without knowing what is causing the problem. It's likely a map you have that wont process.
Topic Starter
Lessthansane

Nathanael wrote:

Lessthansane wrote:

The whole osu! client. The songs folder wouldn't be the only one affected.
Is there a specific way I should go about this? If at all possible I'd like to keep it on the same drive, perhaps I'm not quite understanding where I should copy the folder to. Should I create a new folder in my programsx86 and stuff it all in there? Does it need a specific name so that I can still access the game? Sorry, I'm just not quite understanding what you're asking me to do, an example would be very helpful.

TheVileOne wrote:

We can't help without knowing what is causing the problem. It's likely a map you have that wont process.
It's likely all of them :(
Nathanael

Lessthansane wrote:

Is there a specific way I should go about this? If at all possible I'd like to keep it on the same drive, perhaps I'm not quite understanding where I should copy the folder to. Should I create a new folder in my programsx86 and stuff it all in there? Does it need a specific name so that I can still access the game? Sorry, I'm just not quite understanding what you're asking me to do, an example would be very helpful.
You just have to copy it somewhere else temporarily just to avoid the old permissions.
For example, my osu! client (as a folder) is in C:\Games
  1. Copy osu! client somewhere.
  2. Rename old osu! client to something else as a back-up in case the problem persists.
  3. Move newly copied osu! client to the same location of the old osu! client.
Test it out by running osu! (the new copy) and reload the beatmap cache by pressing F5 at the song selection.
TheVileOne
We have a force folder permissions in options to fix permissions issues.
Topic Starter
Lessthansane

Nathanael wrote:

Lessthansane wrote:

You just have to copy it somewhere else temporarily just to avoid the old permissions.
For example, my osu! client (as a folder) is in C:\Games
  1. Copy osu! client somewhere.
  2. Rename old osu! client to something else as a back-up in case the problem persists.
  3. Move newly copied osu! client to the same location of the old osu! client.
Test it out by running osu! (the new copy) and reload the beatmap cache by pressing F5 at the song selection.
This has caused the new osu! to continually close itself and reopen until I start task manager, in which case I get a pop-up stating that my GFX card doesn't support shader 1.1 (it does) and is out of memory (it's not). The old application still works, this new one does not. I'm thinking I just need to bite the bullet on this one and just work on redownloading my collection. Is there somewhere where I can see which songs I'm ranked in, I'd rather prioritize those.
Topic Starter
Lessthansane
or at least find somewhere in my folders where my collections are, I had a special collection set up for my favorites.
TheVileOne
You shouldn't remove your old build files and then try to install in the same folder area. If anything pick a different install location and then move the installed files to your old location. Of course the directory you are moving files into may have restricted permissions.

Force folder permissions in options should fix folder permission issues with Songs folders.
Topic Starter
Lessthansane
I've attempted the Force Permissions option on three separate occasions, no change