forum

Definition and examples of what is ___ difficulty

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Ekaru
So in the Ranking Submission and stuff you can only have 2 of XXXXXXX difficulty, defined by how it plays.

But what exactly makes XXXXX difficulty XXXXX difficulty and not YYYYY difficulty? Or why isn't it a ZZZZZ difficulty?

I think definitions and examples of what is considered a __________ difficulty, along with what is acceptable, would be helpful. It would probably also fit in well with the difficulty star system.

Like, what makes a difficult map an Insane? Why not a Hard or an eXpert? Or what makes a map a Normal, why not an Easy or a Hard?

I think some clarification (ideally by some of the experienced, sane users/admins, like LH, awp, or peppy) would be helpful, especially for newbie mappers.

Just a suggestion/thought.

EDIT: And the difficulty star rating criteria wiki page is inaccurate/for the system/doesn't give examples, before anyone points that out.
anonymous_old
Well, there are AIMod guidelines being developed. Maybe that will help with this.
Neo Adonis

Ekaru wrote:

And the difficulty star rating criteria wiki page is inaccurate/for the system/doesn't give examples, before anyone points that out.
The new system stills in development, but I think when it's ready, I'll help newbies to name its diffs. In the meantime, modders can help with this task.
Sakura

strager wrote:

Well, there are AIMod guidelines being developed. Maybe that will help with this.
Can AiMod feel the difficulty tho D: i see your point tho, imma stay neutral for now, till i hear more feedback
Topic Starter
Ekaru

Neo Adonis wrote:

Ekaru wrote:

And the difficulty star rating criteria wiki page is inaccurate/for the system/doesn't give examples, before anyone points that out.
The new system stills in development, but I think when it's ready, I'll help newbies to name its diffs. In the meantime, modders can help with this task.
The a reason I said not to point it out because it isn't 100% what I'm asking, it's only part of it.

What I'm basically asking is after the definitions, which the difficulty star system would use, are made, to have them posted in a stickied topic. With examples.

It would basically keep everyone on the same page and make it easier to understand the criteria, particularly for those who aren't good at English, I'd think.

EDIT: Also since the AI isn't always accurate, particularly right now.
Zekira
Can AiMod feel
It totally can, I swear
awp
I lot of what constitutes a difficulty setting is a combination of two things:

experience
judgment

to try and black and white the issue results in standards over guidelines, and it's possible for something to fit into the standards of a Hard difficulty while still feeling like an insane (though with the new system this should be a rare case). The more the new criteria is used, the more it will be fine tuned, and the more reliable it will become.
Topic Starter
Ekaru
That's why I wanted some examples with any criteria/guidelines, to know what ________ difficulty should "feel" like. You can make a map that feels like a Normal that is classified as an Easy. I've done it. :P