forum

Sweaty hands affecting my pen grip

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Cyan Yoshi
I really want to play osu competitively and get good scores on maps but I have this major problem. Ever since I was a kid I've had extremely sweaty hands for no reason at all. They would get sweaty in school, during taekwondo class, and when gaming. Ultimately it would happen whenever I was doing exciting activities and even thinking about my hands getting sweaty would trigger it. Anyway I started playing osu a year ago on mouse and the sweat had no effect. As soon as I got a tablet during the end of last year I started getting pretty good at the game. But recently my hands have been so sweaty that I find it impossible to play a song longer than 1 minuet without the pen slipping out of my normal grip and into a super low position that makes me fail instantly. I've tried washing my hands with warm and cold water. I've tried wearing a glove while playing but it changed my aim completely and I would rather not have to put it on before hopping on osu every day. I've put a fan blowing on my pen while I play but my hands are just wayyyy too sweaty!! I'm sorry if this is a weird question but if any of you have ever experienced something this could you give me any tips you have?

Thank you osu community.
Sincerely,
~Cyan~
Bauxe
You have a few options.

1) Hold your pen lighter.
2) Wash your hands thoroughly every ~30minutes.
3) Wrap some paper tower or something around the pen, and grip over that.

All of these seem to work.
Topic Starter
Cyan Yoshi
Thanks for the tips. For tip 2 would you recommend using cold or warm water?
DeletedUser_4041880
Probably warm water would be better than cold (unless you like having cold hands).
Green Platinum

Frostei wrote:

Probably warm water would be better than cold (unless you like having cold hands).
Salts dissolve more readily in warm water but really it shouldn't matter.
ZenithPhantasm
Spray antiprespirants on your hands.
Green Platinum

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Perhaps also dehydrate yourself so much your body doesn't have the resources to sweat
leepdesu
go back to mouse

I guess one way not stated here is to pause during a reasonably long slider and wipe your hands before continuing. (unless there's a break every 1 minute)
Gumpy
You could try holding it differently
Topic Starter
Cyan Yoshi

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Hmmm never thought of that. I doubt that it will work considering how bad my sweaty hands are but I'll give it a shot xD
Topic Starter
Cyan Yoshi

Gumpyyy wrote:

You could try holding it differently
I've tried many different grips and they still all result in my losing grip of the pen eventually :/
cheezstik
Try turning a fan or some A/C on, you shouldn't be sweating if your room's cold.
Green Platinum

cheezstik wrote:

Try turning a fan or some A/C on, you shouldn't be sweating if your room's cold.
Then we have this problem t/281379
-sev

-LeeP- wrote:

go back to mouse
I know this is meant as a joke, but playing with mouse when you have sweaty palms is hell. I've been having this problem for a week now and I'm forced to stop and wipe my hands during breaks. Otherwise I lose my grip.
buny
his palms are sweaty
leepdesu

Kaienyuu wrote:

I know this is meant as a joke, but playing with mouse when you have sweaty palms is hell. I've been having this problem for a week now and I'm forced to stop and wipe my hands during breaks. Otherwise I lose my grip.
That's very sad. :C
bigfeh
Yeah, you probably have hyperhidrosis. I do too, and it sucks
(EDIT: just for clarification, yeah, it's genetic. So it's not like we can do anything about it)

There is, however, treatment available. I've been taking oxybutynin for the past few months and for the first time after I started I was able to walk barefoot and write on a piece of paper without wetting it (huge bump in quality of life etc. etc.)

Bottom line is go see your doctor! I know it isn't gonna get any better if you wash your hands or play holding paper, though I found that playing with a towel on my lap turned out to be very useful.
Saphirshroom

Green Platinum wrote:

Perhaps also dehydrate yourself so much your body doesn't have the resources to sweat
Fucking brilliant.

Whenever I have sweaty hands I ignore them.

thelewa wrote:

Sweat is just a feeling, you can get used to it.
...or something similar to that anyway.
Yuudachi-kun
What if you used deodorant on your hands?
sayonara_sekai
deodorants dont prevent sweating.

rubbing a strong antiperspirant on your palm might work, give it a shot. - dr phil
show more