forum

[Archived] osu! Mac framerate issues

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Masaki
Problem Details:
I'm currently running a late 2010 model Macbook Pro with a 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo and 4 GB of 1067 Mhz DDR3 RAM. I run other games such as CS:GO on it at a fairly high framerate and I've played osu successfully at around 40 FPS on a laptop computer from 2004. Ever since installing osu on my Macbook, I've been having framerate issues during songs which make playing it virtually impossible. My frames freeze and jump, and since this is a rhythm game that requires pinpoint accuracy, that is a dooming fault. I usually run the title screens and things at around 60-80 FPS and then my frames jump down to 30 and then even further to about 20-10 at times during songs such as Omega Rhythm at 5 star. I cannot play the song at all because my cursor jumps and flicks along with the circles appearing irregularly. I've tried messing about with the options and graphical settings on my Mac and on osu also, and tried using OpenGL (which doesn't work because you can't select it), but nothing seems to be working. Is there any way for me to actually be able to play osu! on my Macbook or will I have to wait the month or so until my regular laptop comes back. (this $500 laptop outperforms my Macbook at running basically anything for some reason).

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

Mac can't handle recording osu so there is none.

osu! version: 20150109.1 (latest)
PizzaLovers007
Have you tried quitting out of other apps? Also, when you messed around with the graphics options, did you turn everything off? It might be a good idea to try a different wine engine (Ex: 1.6.2).
Topic Starter
Masaki

PizzaLovers007 wrote:

Have you tried quitting out of other apps? Also, when you messed around with the graphics options, did you turn everything off? It might be a good idea to try a different wine engine (Ex: 1.6.2).
Where can I get another wine engine?
PizzaLovers007
Download the Wineskin Winery here:
http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php
Topic Starter
Masaki
I just have to install it right? Don't have to do anything?
PizzaLovers007
You need to change the engine used. Right click on the osu!.app and Show Packaged Contents. Double click on the Wineskin.app, go to Advanced, and click Change Engine Used under the Tools tab.
Topic Starter
Masaki

PizzaLovers007 wrote:

You need to change the engine used. Right click on the osu!.app and Show Packaged Contents. Double click on the Wineskin.app, go to Advanced, and click Change Engine Used under the Tools tab.
I'm already updated to 1.7. Still getting FPS lag for some reason.
PizzaLovers007
Try using an older engine. Sometimes the newest isn't always the best.
AGRX
turn off all animations in graphic settings in osu! storyboard sneakyslders.. etc
tAk41
I had (and sometimes still have) the same problem.

To be straight, the problem was that whenever I type Z and X to the circle, I am typing in background somewhere, especially during sliders.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.... this is happening while i'm playing osu.
After I changed my keyboard (the language I use to type) from english to "Unicode Hex input", frame rate did not drop like an earthquake.

I hope this helped...
o x

tAk41 wrote:

I had (and sometimes still have) the same problem.

To be straight, the problem was that whenever I type Z and X to the circle, I am typing in background somewhere, especially during sliders.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.... this is happening while i'm playing osu.
After I changed my keyboard (the language I use to type) from english to "Unicode Hex input", frame rate did not drop like an earthquake.

I hope this helped...
Hey! Welcome to the forums, you might want to read the Forum Guidelines before posting. Please don't bump threads that are archived or resolved if you are not the thread owner, if you have a problem create a new thread and someone will try to help you!