forum

ESTi / Ntreev Soft - Revive

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Duoprism
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Wednesday, 30 April 2008 at 3:22:37 PM

Artist: ESTi / Ntreev Soft
Title: Revive
BPM: 140
Filesize: 1202kb
Play Time: 01:35
Difficulties Available:
  1. Easy (1.22 stars, 67 notes)
  2. Normal (1.95 stars, 69 notes)
  3. Hard (3.89 stars, 139 notes)
  4. Insane (4.8 stars, 221 notes)
Download: ESTi / Ntreev Soft - Revive
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
First post and first beatmap. ^^

This is the Pangya/Albatross18 Season 3 theme music; a fantasy golf game.

For more information, you can have a look at the Albatross18 website.If you do decide to register and play, please put down my A18 username, 053136, as the one who referred you to the game.
Topic Starter
Duoprism
BUMP!

Not sure why, but the bump feature when you upload doesn't seem to work.
Kharl
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
Duoprism
Easy was cleaned up with your requests. And yes the soft sound set seems work a bit better.

I also cleaned up Normal (I think) before your comments so check that out.

Hard, I think I need a bit of clarification (and this was cleaned up a bit as well).

Thanks for the comments. 8-)

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to add an end to Easy.
Sinistro
Welcome to osu! :)
I have no complaints about your timing at all. Every circle you place is on beat. The patterns are even beautiful to watch at Edit Mode. In other words, it's your first map and already you show the marks of a very good beatmapper.

But...

how many difficulty versions of this map can you clear? I looked at your maps before you updated them, and Easy is better now, fortunately; I think I remember consecutive sliders starting at each corner of the grid! It's much better now, but the spinner at the end is rather long, you may want to shorten it a little.

Normal starts off good, but goes crazy after 01:28:25 or so and has some definite spacing issues, e.g. the diagonal combos starting at 00:43:25. The distance between the third circle of the green combo and the first one of the orange combo is too long for a player to make the jump on time, particularly considering this is a Normal difficulty beatmap. Also, the last two combos in that group (blue and red) have the 1-2 grid distance be double the 2-3 distance, even though the beats have the same distance between them on the timeline!

Hard is at least Insane (wtf @ red combo @ 00:14:54 that follows the percussion!).
Insane is...a whole new category of its own. Spinners on top of spinners on top of beats? I don't know how anyone could clear it as is, although our Hall of Famers never cease to amaze.

On one hand, I don't wish for modding to block or twist a beatmapper's creative ideas to conform to standards, especially since you appear to be a talented beatmapper right off the bat. As I said, your map sounds and looks nice on the Editor. On the other hand, most (almost all?) people will not be able to reproduce that result, especially in Hard and Insane. Of course, as difficulty goes up, a beatmap should become harder to clear, but I think this is a bit too much. I think your changelog reflects that, as almost all changes are about lowering difficulty.

So, here are my suggestions:
- The most important thing is to ensure a constant Beat Spacing on all your difficulties, as this will make them far easier to play as appropriate to their difficulty level. As a general, nebulous exception, sometimes you might ignore beat spacing and place beats farther apart than they should in order to make an Insane map more challenging or to allow for a nice pattern, but even then it should be used sparingly.
- Normal has some Hard elements, particularly towards the end. You could try toning it down a little, or adapting it to make it the Hard version.
- Similarly, Hard is at least Insane! You could either tone it down and leave it as Hard, or make it your new Insane.

EDIT: WHOOOOPS I need to spend less time "postmapping". All this applied to the version you had before Kharl's initial comments (now edited due to your update - god, this beatmap is being modded/updated at the speed of light!)
chan
Nice work on the changes, easy plays a lot better, although some parts did look a little cluttered.
I'll comment later on the other difficulties, but for now, with easy, I think you should put a break in before the last spinner? Either that or put some more notes in. At the moment, I'm just watching my health slowly drain, which isn't really a good thing.
Topic Starter
Duoprism
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Kharl
I've updated my suggestion list. Go see my first post. ;)
chan
Nice work on the break and filling in notes before the end spinner on easy :D

You should make use of the distance snapping feature~ Enable/disable by pressing "D" in the editor or toggle with alt.

Hard difficultly is pretty darn insane. Try to keep slider velocity matching the beat spacing? If you use distance spacing of 0.7, then your slider velocity should also be 0.7.
Try not to have distance snapping too high though, coz it's hard!

Also, some of your spinners make hard reaaaaaally hard. This is because there appear notes really soon after the spinners. Here are the following times this happens.
00:19:68 (0)
00:23:11 (0)
01:03:61 (0) - This spinner is also quite sudden, players might not even get it
01:10:36 (0)
01:21:61 (0)
01:24:82 (6) - All the spinners from here on are kinda too short. Whilst it's possible to get 300's on all of them, this really screws the player up on the following notes @ 01:30:82
01:31:68 (0) - also too short maybe
01:32:75 (0) - all these spinners are pretty hard. don't bother trying to make a rhythm with your spinners, coz it's really hard to play
01:34:89 (0) - same
Topic Starter
Duoprism
I feel that distance snapping, while being a useful tool, hinders my creativity a little. I do use it time to time however, and it has come in very handy when making my beatmaps easier.

EDIT: I take that back. I wonder how I beatmapped so decently without it?

I'd like to keep the slider velocity as is, because I don't want sliders that are so short that you can simply hold in place to complete it.
chan
Then maybe use a larger distance spacing while also toning down the slider velocity a little? Having large distance spacing is ok if you're consistent. What you should avoid doing is having inconsistent beat spacing. Do you want me to go through the specific times which this happens? I can do that, but it's a bit of a tedious process...
Topic Starter
Duoprism
Well I remapped the spinner spam sections in Hard. [I actually took some time and not upload like 1 note changes every time, lol.]

But I'm still not too sure how the slider velocity and the beat spacing is doing on the Hard beatmap.

Insane was revamped, it is now beat spaced more properly and spinner spam was removed but the difficulty was upped, and the patterns are sure to catch you off guard. :twisted:
chan
Topic Starter
Duoprism
Sounds like a plan.

I'll take a look in the morning, cause I really should sleep a bit before I get into this again.

EDIT: All maps cleaned up and polished. I think I'm pretty close to the bubble now.

EDIT2: Insane was made more colourful.
peppy
Just a small one I picked up on insane:
00:02:75 (11,12) - spacing is slightly wide. This is caused by grid + distance snap snapping to the wrong grid point. good to watch out for this!

Also you might want to tone down the sample volume on insane at least because you CANT HEAR THE SONG if you actually manage to hit all the beats. This goes with your other insane songs too - so give that some consideration.
Topic Starter
Duoprism
Insane was removed completely, too many beat spacing with slider issues AKA I'm lazy and I want this to be ranked.

Hard is now Insane and Normal is now Hard.

New Normal has been created.
chan
My offset sounds/plays better as 2,910. This applies to all difficulties. I verified this in test mode of the editor. Please check/revise your universal offset in the options page if 2,910 seems way off to you

Easy is great (I probably said that already)
New Normal is good too
Hard is also good, but I think you should add a beat @ 01:29:32. Just feels like there's something missing :P

Insane is too hard for me, but that's fine, I usually don't do well on insane maps anyway. Distance spacing looks alright, maybe you could get one of the more insane mods to look at it.

Bubble from me, this is really close to getting ranked. Kudos to Reikin
Topic Starter
Duoprism
Offset set to 2910 and beat added.
chan
Bubble from me. You should get someone who's good at insane maps to mod and rank this for you.
Echo
I'm nitpicking here too, but other than these I can see no problems.

Easy:
01:23:68 (1,1,1,1) - fix spacing for red 1 to orange 1 slider

Normal:
00:54:80 (6,7,8,9) - stacked usually means shorter time than unstacked, but it's opposite here (just my opinion)

Insane:
00:36:49 (2,3,4) - fix spacing to match all the other half-beat spacing
show more