forum

[Archived] Drivers included with Huion H420 don't work on Windows 8.1?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
riffraff11235
Not sure if this is the right place to post this or if it's been resolved already, but I'll give it a go:

So I just got an H420 for Xmas and I've been messing around with it all morning. I first installed the drivers from Huion's website (version 9.0) and they work fine. However, there doesn't seem to be an option to maintain the aspect ratio when changing the tablet's active area. So I asked my friend (another H420 owner) about it and he said that the drivers included with the tablet had such an option. I proceeded to replace my drivers with the included ones and found that no tablet icon appeared on my taskbar and i couldn't open tabcfg from my start menu. I assume I'm not the only one trying to use an H420 on Windows 8.1. Has any sort of fix or workaround been found for this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
peppy
Have you tried uninstalling all drivers and turning on raw input?
Topic Starter
riffraff11235
Well I need the driver to configure my tablet, and apparently I have been using raw input. It's more of a minor gripe than anything else, but if it's a compatibility problem between the H420 driver and Windows 8.1, I'd imagine it's a common occurrence. Maybe running the installation in compatibility mode could help?
Bauxe

riffraff11235 wrote:

Well I need the driver to configure my tablet, and apparently I have been using raw input. It's more of a minor gripe than anything else, but if it's a compatibility problem between the H420 driver and Windows 8.1, I'd imagine it's a common occurrence. Maybe running the installation in compatibility mode could help?
You don't need the driver if you are using it exclusively for osu!. You can change the active area using the ingame sensitivity while raw-input is enabled.

(or so I think)
d3monz
I'm having this exact same problem. The tablet works with the version 9 drivers just fine, but the optimization is just really lacking compared to the earlier drivers. I've tried to install the older drivers as well, but they are not usable in any way.
Bara-
Try to do what Bauxe said
That should fix it
Also, I heard that for some tablets the drivers are terrible
It might be better do switch driver to an older one (with which you had no problems)
Topic Starter
riffraff11235
Actually, it's the older drivers that my system was having trouble with.

In the time since I made the post I've gotten used to using the full area, but a fix would still be nice.
Arnold0
What driver version did he give you ?
Because I use version 8 and it works fine.

The file I use is this : http://puu.sh/e7Jvb/66254a07d7.zip
Maybe he gave you an older version than this ? You can try it at least, it works for me but i'm not sure it'll work with everyone ;-;
Topic Starter
riffraff11235
@Arnold0 I've been using version 9, which doesn't have the same options for changing the active area.

Did you simply run the SETUP.EXE file in the archive? For some reason every time I try to install the version 8 driver the installer becomes unresponsive after it asks if I want to reboot the computer. Changing the compatibility mode didn't seem to do anything.

I noticed that the manual says you're not supposed to plug in the tablet before installing the drivers. Assuming I did make that mistake, what could I do to fix it?
Topic Starter
riffraff11235
I think I may have found the source of the problem. When the tablet is plugged in without any Huion drivers present, it seems to install a ton of generic Human Interface Device drivers. Maybe these are what's interfering with the installation of the version 8.01 drivers?

The manual included with the tablet warns against plugging in the tablet before installing drivers, but has no advice on what to do in case one makes this mistake.
TheVileOne
You can disable drivers by the way. Go to Device Manager, and look for whatever it installed and right click to enable / disable a driver.
Topic Starter
riffraff11235
Turns out that the version 8 driver, even when installed correctly, conflicts with the drivers for my laptop's trackpad, while the version 9 drivers available on Huion's website do not. However, the settings program included with the version 8 drivers (TabCfg) is missing most of the extra features included on the version 8 settings program (PLaunch or TabletDriver, not sure which).
Artorias_DELETED

Arnold0 wrote:

What driver version did he give you ?
Because I use version 8 and it works fine.

The file I use is this : http://puu.sh/e7Jvb/66254a07d7.zip
Maybe he gave you an older version than this ? You can try it at least, it works for me but i'm not sure it'll work with everyone ;-;
do you happen to know where I can find the older version driver for the 580? I have the same problem