forum

[Archived] [Archived] Osu client crashes entire laptop

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kobi_old_1
Problem Details:
Pretty much what it says in the title. For the past several weeks or so, the osu! client has been spontaneously crashing for me, so badly that when it happens the entire machine becomes completely unresponsive and I have to manually switch it off and on again. As far as I'm aware I didn't download anything around that time that would have affected the laptop itself, and other games are still running fine. It's just osu.
Sometimes it freezes mid-map and then resolves itself, but it seems to be mostly the song menu that triggers it. It could very possibly be an issue on my end, rather than an osu flaw, but I'd still really like to get this fixed because as it is I can't even open the client without fear of my laptop becoming unresponsive.

system specs:
VeilStar
Osu! itself doesn't have the power to make your entire PC freeze up.

Sounds like your RAM/HDD becoming completely unresponsive for whatever reason.
Could you check your disk & memory for errors and see if anything comes up?

I would elaborate on how to and go into other possibilities,
but I'm too tired for that right now, so I'll either edit this post or reply at a later date.
And I guess I'll see what others think aswell.

Either way, once again, osu! (or any game/application for that matter) can't make your entire PC freeze up like this
this is either due to hardware failure or a pretty 'deep' software failure.
(At least as far as I'm aware, don't take a single person's word for granted, ever.)
Mofu kun
Are your drivers up to date?

Also, try reinstalling osu!, of course, after backing up your old songs.
Topic Starter
Kobi_old_1
Drivers are all up-to-date. Updated them not very long ago as a general "Whoops I should do that".

Disk checker ran automatically a couple of days ago and the fatal crash hasn't happened since. A few minor (still annoying, but not full system failure level) judders/lag moments/??? in-client, again only on the songs menu.

I'll try reinstalling when I find someplace to backup my beatmaps, I guess until then I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best.

Thanks anyway, guys!