forum

[resolved] Osu framedrops when getting a skype message.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
happy420
Problem Details:
When I'm playing osu! and I get a skype message my frames drop from 2100~2700 to 1300~1800, normally speaking this shouldn't change anything since my screen only refreshes with a 144 rate but for some wierd reason it feels/seems really laggy to me.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
Tried to get it on video but it doesn't show up there.

osu! version: 20141122 (latest)
Bara-
Isn't that obvious?
When you use multiple programmes at the same time, they but feel laggier and slower then if you have only one active
Topic Starter
happy420

baraatje123 wrote:

Isn't that obvious?
When you use multiple programmes at the same time, they but feel laggier and slower then if you have only one active
If it was "obvious" I wouldn't complain now would I?
Normally it wouldn't make a difference but suddenly it changed and now it's a problem, at least for me.
KinkiN
I know that you're using a high-end gaming PC probably, and you want to have a full playing experience, and it's quite unusual to have the FPS drops down by that much. but with the info you gave to us, it's pretty obvious that skype was causing that.

your usual frame rate is 2100 ~ 2700 right? do you have skype run off in the background with that FPS?

also, anything above 240 FPS doesn't make any real differences in a human's eye, so i don't think your playing comfort would decrease to such a degree right?
VeilStar

Takuji wrote:

baraatje123 wrote:

Isn't that obvious?
If it was "obvious" I wouldn't complain now would I?
Normally it wouldn't make a difference but suddenly it changed and now it's a problem, at least for me.
Always been an issue for many people (across many games) with Skype. Personally never had it, but try turning off notifications for Skype.
It's probably because the render priority changes for a split second.
Topic Starter
happy420

Yuzuru wrote:

your usual frame rate is 2100 ~ 2700 right?
Correct

Yuzuru wrote:

do you have skype run off in the background with that FPS?
Yes

Yuzuru wrote:

also, anything above 240 FPS doesn't make any real differences in a human's eye, so i don't think your playing comfort would decrease to such a degree right?
Normally it shouldn't but for some reason it's really bothering me cause I'm not really good at music rythem so if the approach circle laggs im pretty much out for the rest of the song x3

VeilStar wrote:

Always been an issue for many people (across many games) with Skype. Personally never had it, but try turning off notifications for Skype.
It's probably because the render priority changes for a split second.
It has always been like this http://puu.sh/dmcQ9/df110976b0.png, but I unchecked the last 2 options, so I hope that will works.
Thanks anyways :D
VeilStar

Takuji wrote:

Yuzuru wrote:

Normally it shouldn't but for some reason it's really bothering me cause I'm not really good at music rythem so if the approach circle laggs im pretty much out for the rest of the song x3
This is why consistant frametimes is MUCH MORE important than high framerate.
While your monitor may only refresh at 60hz, if there's a disruption in the frametiming it's enough for you to notice it.
(Even if you can't properly see it you'll feel it.)
(I, for example, feel like 120 and 240fps capped is very laggy, even though my monitor is only 60hz.)

Compare it to driving a car at 150kmh without any speed up or slow downs.
Feels really smooth.

And then driving a car at 140 - 160kmh with constant speed changes within the range, avaraging out at 150kmh.
It will feel extremely annoying.

Now replace "car" with "game" and "kmh" with "fps". And you have the exact same thing. Even though in both cases the framerate is the same.

This is one of the reasons console games have capped framerates.
Consistant lower framerate > inconsistant higher framerate.

Anyway... No clue why I even wrote all of that. I have nothing more to add.
Topic Starter
happy420

VeilStar wrote:

<snip>
Ehm, Thanks for the information I guess :D
TheVileOne
If you are using unlimited frames then you have to accept that the range of frames you get may vary by a lot. The game is trying to get as many frames out as possible even if there may be other applications competing for the same processing power.
Topic Starter
happy420
After some research of my own I discovered the following:

- I've been playing 240 locked fps for a week and the problem is persistent.
- Even messages on other applications like: League of legends client, Steam client ect make it laggy.
-FPS doens't drop when playing at 240 but it still laggs.

Also sorry for not responding, wanted to check if the problem would be solved by playing on locked fps.
TheVileOne
I can confirm that anything that pops up in front of the screen makes it laggy. I don't know if there is anything that osu could do about it.
Topic Starter
happy420

TheVileOne wrote:

I can confirm that anything that pops up in front of the screen makes it laggy. I don't know if there is anything that osu could do about it.
It doesn't really pop-up the only thing that happens when I get a skype message is that the icon on my taskbar notifies me that there are unread messages.
Granger
Same thing happens to me too, any kind of popup or notification causes a severy framedrop. If i were to guess its something about loosing focus, thus triggering osu!'s frameliminter (or whatever that is, you know, decrease fps when in background) for inactivity.
Sigh, cant really put it to words...
Pluto
Playing in borderless and you get a Skype notification thingy it will drop focus on osu! which results in fps drop.
You can always disable notifications or go "busy".
Bara-
'Pop ups' or notifications (like dropbox adding it's files) will cause lag
Maybe you can set the priority for osu to high in task manager, idk if this will fix it though
unko

VeilStar wrote:

(I, for example, feel like 120 and 240fps capped is very laggy, even though my monitor is only 60hz.)
No, you don't. This is either placebo effect or simply your mind fucking with you. If your monitor is 60hz, it can only display up to 60fps and that's it. It doesn't matter if it's 61 or 61000fps; it would all look the same on a 60hz monitor. Hell, it may even be worse due to tearing and stuff. I hate to be so blunt (no i don't) but that's just how it is. :P

Anyway to answer OP's question, can't you just cap at 240 or something? At such high frame rates, even something as little as a skype message will drop it by hundreds due to the fact that osu is probably hogging all the cpu at that framerate. Capping to 240 will also be more beneficial in the way that it'll put less load on the cpu/gpu, therefore resulting in lower temperatures.
Bara-
Off topic/ so that's what hz means
I always wondered that
But, are there 1000+hz monitors?
unko

baraatje123 wrote:

I always wondered that
I think the whole hz thing means differently on CRTs, but yeah pretty much on LCD hz = max visible fps.
1000hz monitors are probably aaaages away. The best commercially available monitors atm are around 240hz, which is probably more than you need anyway. (Though i've only ever used 60hz monitors so i can't say for sure)
VeilStar

nookls wrote:

No, you don't. This is either placebo effect or simply your mind fucking with you. If your monitor is 60hz, it can only display up to 60fps and that's it.
Sure as hell it only displays 60. However, that doesn't mean you can't feel the difference between 60,120,240 & unlimited.
I'm not talking about 'seeing' more than 60 frames in a second. I'm talking about it feeling laggy.
There is more at work than simply watching a screen, you're interacting.
If I would play at 120 capped, it would feel off, I will be able to feel a slight input lag and a bit of jitter,
making me hit 100s sometimes when I otherwise wouldn't have. Same on 240, although to a lesser extend.

I'm not gonna argue about being able to see the difference between 120 & unlimited on my 60hz monitor. Cause I obviously can't.
However, there is most definitely a difference that you can feel, that is NOT placebo.
I often cap my framerate at 120 manually (eg not 'unlimited gameplay') to reduce fan noise.
And when I foget to uncap it, I can most definitely feel something's wrong.
Then I notice my FPS counter, put it on unlimited, and it all feels smooth again.

baraatje123 wrote:

I always wondered that
Nope. 144hz without stupid interpolation is the 'best we've achieved'.
Not to mention it becomes pointless after a certain extend.
Target audience vastly drops, production cost vastly rises, and the difference it makes gets smaller and smaller.
Topic Starter
happy420

nookls wrote:

VeilStar wrote:

Anyway to answer OP's question, can't you just cap at 240 or something? At such high frame rates, even something as little as a skype message will drop it by hundreds due to the fact that osu is probably hogging all the cpu at that framerate. Capping to 240 will also be more beneficial in the way that it'll put less load on the cpu/gpu, therefore resulting in lower temperatures.
If you read a couple of comments back I said there I've kept it capped on 240 but it still fucks up :P
I've tried the set priority thingy atm so ill report if that changes anything :3
show more