forum

[Archived] Cannot multiplay at all.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
TheseusSapphire
Problem Details:
Hi,
I've just moved to the US to attend high school. I got my new laptop and copied my osu folder from my hard drive onto my new laptop. Everything was running fine, until I realized that everytime I try to do a multi match, I always end up having a forever Waiting for players... screen. If I press Esc, I see no matches. Wait for few more seconds and I see that all my friends are online message box.
My conclusion is that whenever I try to play a match, I disconnect from Bancho or osu server. However, I still can play solo and submit scores just fine. Before my laptop had Windows 8.1 installed on her. Thought that was the problem, so I wiped everything and installed win 7 64bit Ultimate, problem persists. I've tried windowed mode, full screen, change frame-rate settings, graphical settings, even downloaded fresh copy of osu and played with default settings, nothing worked.
Could it be that my school's internet blocks some ports or connection required for osu multiplayer mode to work properly? I play other online games and they work just fine. So what exactly is the cause and is there a way to fix it? I really wanna play with my friends, thanks in advance.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

osu! version: 20140814.1 (latest)
Kyonko Hizara
I would most likely say that your school's internet is blocking certain ports required for you to properly play multi. Have you tried playing multi on any other internet connection?
Topic Starter
TheseusSapphire

Kyonko Hizara wrote:

I would most likely say that your school's internet is blocking certain ports required for you to properly play multi. Have you tried playing multi on any other internet connection?
No I haven't got the chance to do so. But its weird since I can play and submit scores. Or does the multiplayer mode has different mechanism? Tks for the reply anw.
Kyonko Hizara

TheseusSapphire wrote:

Kyonko Hizara wrote:

No I haven't got the chance to do so. But its weird since I can play and submit scores. Or does the multiplayer mode has different mechanism? Tks for the reply anw.
It might just be that you're connecting to play with other people, but if you said that other online games work fine, then this behavior is a bit strange. I'm not too sure what ports it uses, but I know a few people that have troubles with multi while on school internet because of the ports. If you know anybody else that has a laptop or computer you can test, ask if you can install osu! for a moment to just test to see if it works for them. If another computer is having the same problem, then I'd be pretty sure it's the school's internet blocking ports.

If you cannot do this, is there anywhere you could go where you can test playing multi on a different internet connection?
Topic Starter
TheseusSapphire

Kyonko Hizara wrote:

It might just be that you're connecting to play with other people, but if you said that other online games work fine, then this behavior is a bit strange. I'm not too sure what ports it uses, but I know a few people that have troubles with multi while on school internet because of the ports. If you know anybody else that has a laptop or computer you can test, ask if you can install osu! for a moment to just test to see if it works for them. If another computer is having the same problem, then I'd be pretty sure it's the school's internet blocking ports.
If you cannot do this, is there anywhere you could go where you can test playing multi on a different internet connection?
Tks for your information, when I have the chance I'll try if I could multiplay using different internet. If not, that means my laptop is f**ked up and that's not pleasant for me at all.
As for trying osu on other computers in my school, that might be difficult. The thing is that this school along with its students are so damn stupid that they;re all using Mac or iMac. So I'll try to find someone who has a NORMAL computer to try it on.
Meanwhile, I'd be great if you (or someone else) could give me some suggestions other than the ones above.
Cheers,
Piine
Oh and if your movement from your currently country to the US is permanent and want to change your account flag, you may want to send an email to accounts@ppy.sh. Just a quick piece of advice
Topic Starter
TheseusSapphire

Sulker wrote:

Oh and if your movement from your currently country to the US is permanent and want to change your account flag, you may want to send an email to accounts@ppy.sh. Just a quick piece of advice
Ah, I can't really change who I really am. Regardless, I'd forever be a Vietnamese citizen. And I'm not gonna be in the US permanently though ^^, just here to graduate college and go back :)
TheVileOne
Support for Mac is even worse. It's hard to believe that the game was developed on a Mac.

Anyways please report back if it works on another network. School networks tend to block lots of things.