Problem Details:

Laptop Specs:
SPOILER
HP Envy 4 series
Intel Core i5
8GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 8600/8700M
Running Windows 8.1

The problem is pretty simple. I encounter random stuttering which causes sliders and notes which are loading in on the map to jerk and pause for about a fraction of a second, which throws my rhythm off. This happens with the graphics(circles and sliders) AND audio(the map's music). Obviously this will be a huge problem with a rhythm game. My system is clean of any spyware or malware, as I've just given my system a fresh reinstall just this week. I've checked system processes running in the background and none of them seem to take too much out of the system that would cause this problem.

Now here comes the strange part.
While playing solo, this problem prevails causing it to be unplayable whatsoever(also the reason I haven't touched Osu in about close to a year).
But earlier today I tried playing Multiplayer with a friend and everything went smoothly. No jerks, no stutters, nothing.
Yet when I am the Host for the room and am selecting the map I sometimes hear it stuttering and jerking.

This has led me to wonder how Multiplayer games work, if not client-sided? Because as far as I know, the moment I switch back to playing solo I WILL get the stuttering problem again. And on that note, what in the world could be causing it?

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
None as of now, the instances where this problem happens seem to be able to elude my recordings =\

osu! version: 20140814.1 (latest)
Nathanael
Piine
Also try seeing if frame-rate (Hotkey F7) or the current selected Renderer you are using in osu! (DirectX/OpenGL). Usually that plays a role in stuttering in most cases.
drum drum

Sulker wrote:

Also try seeing if frame-rate (Hotkey F7) or the current selected Renderer you are using in osu! (DirectX/OpenGL). Usually that plays a role in stuttering in most cases.
expanding

You can cycle through with F7 and go back to your original frame limiter to help kick it back into gear.
Topic Starter
Xyrene
Have tried all the above solutions in the past, and none of them worked for me at all. I'm still getting the weird stuttering in Solo, but not Multi.
Is Osu fully client-sided even on Multi?

EDIT:
Apparently I'm getting the stutters today on Multi. It feels like it's an on and off thing, so I'm going to check my processes once more. If anyone has similar experiences or some advice I'd be happy to hear them!

EDIT 2:
It seems like the longer I play or stay on Osu and play 1 particular map, the chances of encountering a stutter is reduced. However the moment I switch to a different map, I have a higher chance of getting the stutter again until I've played it repeatedly for awhile in the same session.
Piine
Try downloading this (Process Explorer by Microsoft, so its trusted). Find the process named osu! and right click it. After that change the priority from normal to high. It pretty much a custom Task Manager seeing they removed priority settings in Win 8.1
Cheerleader
I have fixed the stuttering with installing DirectX.