forum

[resolved] [assigned] [confirmed] Undo states store indefinitely

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
kisata
(Apologies for the thread title, not sure what else to name it)

For the past month or two (maybe even three), there's been something not right with the editor. The longer you map the more sluggish the editor/game gets. Having more objects/green lines/etc seems to make the problem even worse, and allows you to map only for short periods of time before the game becomes unresponsive again.

I'm no expert in programming/computers, but it appears to be some sort of problem in memory management. Adding any sort of object increases the memory usage by the editor, however, deleting those same objects does not release the memory back to the system. Backing out of the editor doesn't fix the problem either, the memory usage just progressively increases as you're in the editor and mapping longer. Eventually, around ~1 GB of memory usage osu! becomes really sluggish and around 1.2 - 1.5 GB it simply freezes altogether and the process has to be killed.

I've had several other people with the same problem, so I don't think it's just me. I only did a quick check of the Technical Support forum and didn't seem to find any sort of thread on this, so apologies if there already is one.

osu! version: 20140814.1 (latest)
GoldenWolf
Hello I'll drop these here

It literally takes only 15-20 minutes of mapping to go there, and either osu! crash either I drop to 1 fps and have to kill the processus.
It also happens when normally playing, but takes a lot more time to go this high.
RLC
map
things are fine
map some more
things are fine
map some more
things are fine
map some more
suddenly, there starts to be massive stuttering / delay in the editor
at this point, if i don't restart osu!, the whole thing just locks up completely after a bit longer
Mismagius
yep, editor keeps taking 1.2GB+ RAM after 1 hour of mapping or so
drum drum
It's from the undo history. Quoting Shirayuki here *runs*
Mismagius
main menu, 30 seconds after starting osu!

entering editor

mapping for 4 minutes, already increased a bit

7 mins

10 mins, seems to have lowered for some reason?

15 mins

17 mins: stuttering starts a bit

20 mins

25 mins

27 mins

29 mins, stuttering gets really heavy

Please note that I was only hitsounding here, so I DID NOT ADD ANY OBJECTS and barely used ctrl+z at all
drum drum
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garbage_co ... science%29
If anything it definitely would be memory management...

Seeing as the memory usage rate is climbing, it's possible the garbage collector isn't functioning properly?
What I'd do is reinstall osu! and see if that improves the problem. I haven't gone over 200 MB after sitting around in the editor for a while.

Issue: Possible garbage collector malfunction / error.
Cherry Blossom
This was happening to me few weeks ago, now it's fine, this issue does not happen anymore.
Jenny
All day every day, makes modding and mapping borderline masochistic.
- Marco -
Happend to me and [-MrSergio-]
Shirayuki
This is from Undo History if I remember correctly, hence the "Disable Undo" in the option. But still, having to quit editor every now and then, or even having to restart osu! when mapping isn't fun T_T
Topic Starter
kisata

Shirayuki wrote:

This is from Undo History if I remember correctly, hence the "Disable Undo" in the option. But still, having to quit editor every now and then, or even having to restart osu! when mapping isn't fun T_T
"When working with extremely long marathon maps, long marathon maps undo/redo support can come at a performance cost. Use this option in extreme conditions."

If this is the case; the problem here is that it's not just on long maps/marathon maps (though it's definitely worse on those). A particularly dense, streamy map, or one with many green lines can do this too - or even just general hitsounding as BD showed. I was mapping a two minute long song and had it happen. So there's definitely something up here.
Jenny
I'd presume Edit is being autistic and saving practically unlimited copies of the entire undo history/map - at least that'd explain why it can stack up to like 1.5 GB RAM usage without you even looking at or opening multiple ones; I can't even imagine how it'd make over a Gigabyte of cache and undo savings from a ~30kb .osu file..
FrzR

RLC wrote:

map
things are fine
map some more
things are fine
map some more
things are fine
map some more
suddenly, there starts to be massive stuttering / delay in the editor
at this point, if i don't restart osu!, the whole thing just locks up completely after a bit longer
This. lol~
Ayesha Altugle

drum drum wrote:

It's from the undo history. Quoting Shirayuki here *runs*
really it is
Bara-
Just disable undo function: t/228559
Topic Starter
kisata

baraatje123 wrote:

Just disable undo function: t/228559
How on earth are we even considering this as a fix? At least part of the bug is exiting the editor doesn't actually fix it. You HAVE to close osu! reduce the memory usage.

You shouldn't have to disable one of the editor's main functions to make it work properly.
Bara-
Everything you do, counts up to the undo thing
So if you do 200 things, it saves all these 200 things.
If you disable undo, this is not the case.
If you read the thread, you know about This feature request which will help in this case
smoogipoo
This is currently being worked on by TheVileOne.
Bara-
how will it become?
Will there be a max amount of undos then?
show more