forum

Abort extraction

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
An64fan
You know, for those cases where something happens and osu! gets stuck in the extraction process (like if your computer or flash drive is hating on it, or if you have half a beatmap that's locking up extraction and don't realize it, etc). It would be quite nice to be able to abort the extraction instead of having to kill osu! and start it up again (and possibly again, and again, and again in the case of something you're unaware of locking it up).

Not a big request, but it's something that I've thought about for quite a while, as I've always found myself dealing with such lock-ups in the past.
0_o
..so I read this as Extract abortion.
Randy96

0_o wrote:

Yeah, pretty much.

@ontopic: What do you mean extract? Do you mean when you drag a .osu file into osu?
Topic Starter
An64fan

Randy96 wrote:

@ontopic: What do you mean extract? Do you mean when you drag a .osu file into osu?
That, or open it with osu, or happen to have something sitting unextracted in the songs folder and enter/refresh the song list, etc.
peppy
Actually I didn't realise how much stress this can have on a flash drive during extraction. Assuming this is the only case it happens (I experienced this for the first time on the weekend with the arcade system), I am happy to fix this up so the extraction speed is improved, rather than providing an abort option. Can you confirm this an64fan?
Topic Starter
An64fan
Confirm what? That extraction on a flash drive is slow? (which it is, btw)

Also, under extreme patience by me, I've now found that these instances may not be all lock-ups, but indeed ridiculously slow extraction (we're looking at around 8+ minutes for just one map). I don't experience this kind of slowness when extraction is on the pc rather than the flash drive. Due to the length of time involved with extraction, I'm not yet sure which may be actual lock-ups or just really, really slow extraction. More efficient extraction in these cases would indeed be appreciated, though, and would allow highlighting of actual problem-causing situations if any are present.

By the way: *yaaaawn*
I think this is why I manually extract.
peppy
Yep - was taking about 5 minutes per son for me on a flash drive. I'll look into fixing this.
Zekira

0_o wrote:

peppy wrote:

Yep - was taking about 5 minutes per son for me on a flash drive.
Sorry, just had to point out. Lol...
aRiskOfRain
It takes 10 minutes for a daughter, btw.
yueyue0507
how excactly do you cput it on a flash drive!!! I just keep copying short cuts.