forum

[Archived] Big fps drop from borderless fullscreen to true fullscreen

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Mikutsune
I thought true fullscreen would give me better performance, right? I'm getting the opposite. Running borderless fullscreen gives me significantly more fps than true fullscreen. Is this normal? I rather play true fullscreen since it reduces input lag but it's gotten to the point where I can't stream the game while doing so due to the fps drop. I have to go back to borderless everytime but then I have to deal with increased input lag.

My old desktop was giving me better performance (Q9450 / GTX 580) than this new laptop that I just got (i7-4810MQ / GTX 880M) both running windows 8.1
I don't get it, all my drivers are up to date and everything, osu is set to unlimited fps and background processes are kept as low as possible.

Any ideas?

osu! version: 20140729.6 (latest)
Tom94
Your laptop likely goes into some sort of power saving mode.

1. Make sure you have the charger connected.
2. Check in nvidia control panel that your graphics card and not your integrated graphics are used for osu!.
3. Go into the advanced power saving settings in the control panel and see whether something there might be the cause for this. Easiest is probably if you switch to the highest power profile and only check the advanced settings if that still doesn't work.

I also want to say that it is no surprise to me if your laptop performs worse than your desktop. The 880M is a very good card, but it still is mobile. The 580 was / is a really strong desktop card which performs slightly better. The same could protentially be said about your CPU, but I didn't bother to check in this case.
Topic Starter
Mikutsune
That's what I first thought but I tried all this already. Osu is using the right graphics processor, the charger is plugged in and I'm using the "high performance" power plan. I also double checked the advanced power options, everything looks fine to me.

I messed around in nvidia inspector, forced different settings but nothing gives me back that 65% loss that I get when switching to fullscreen. Isn't it easier for the gpu to render the game in exclusive mode? I'm far from being an expert and it doesn't make any sense to me. I thought there was some weird scaling going on somewhere but I mean.. I'm using the built-in display at its native resolution and no other monitors are plugged in so I don't know what it could be :/
drum drum
I've tried both on the public release version. Both give me the same FPS (I'm also using the same specs as you). What frame limiter are you using?
Topic Starter
Mikutsune
It's set to unlimited. I tried reinstalling the game, nothing changed
Tom94
Sorry, I have no other ideas what could be causing this right now. Also can not reproduce it myself. :(
Topic Starter
Mikutsune
Oh well it's probably something with my computer. I ended up lowering the resolution and I fixed some DPC latency issues that were causing the micro stuttering. It'll be good enough till I fix my desktop.
Syclasm
I have this problem as well. Recently got my new laptop with an i7-4710HQ + GTX 860M running Windows 8.1. In borderless fullscreen I get 700-800fps, whereas in regular fullscreen getting 300fps max.

I found a temporary fix where I switched the compatibility to Windows 7 or 8 and fixes the framerate. However, it introduces the same input lag as if you were playing on Windowed (Fullscreen Windowed) mode.

Topic Starter
Mikutsune
Weird, compatibility mode doesn't change anything on my side. Also after adding D3D antilag and setting the render ahead limit to 1, I get about the same framerate in fullscreen and windowed. I get around 20~30 more fps in windowed now which is not that big of a difference.

So I guess the amount of frames rendered ahead is higher in windowed than fullscreen..? That would explain the increased input lag that you felt with your temporary fix.
Gumpy
Stick to borderless then.
Syclasm

dVz wrote:

Weird, compatibility mode doesn't change anything on my side. Also after adding D3D antilag and setting the render ahead limit to 1, I get about the same framerate in fullscreen and windowed. I get around 20~30 more fps in windowed now which is not that big of a difference.

So I guess the amount of frames rendered ahead is higher in windowed than fullscreen..? That would explain the increased input lag that you felt with your temporary fix.
Yeah same. I'm not sure. I tried it earlier on Windows 7 with the same drivers and everything and it was the same. However, in Windowed fullscreen it stuck to 300fps max, not like in Windows 8.1.

Gumpyyy wrote:

The input lag is unbearable.
Kodehawa_old

Gumpyyy wrote:

Input lag is horrible.
Syclasm
An update: I was monitoring with MSI Afterburner while playing osu! when I noticed that in Fullscreen mode, the Intel GPU reaches to 80-90%~ usage (GTX860M at around 90% as well) whereas in Windowed mode, the Intel GPU usage caps at 50%. Maybe someone could give some insight regarding this matter. I would very much like to play osu! with 500+fps without input lag.
drum drum
Windows 8 tends to be more stable than Windows 7 at times. If you're using an i7 core how have you gotten to 50% GPU usage already? What graphical settings are you on?
Syclasm

drum drum wrote:

Windows 8 tends to be more stable than Windows 7 at times. If you're using an i7 core how have you gotten to 50% GPU usage already? What graphical settings are you on?
Everything set to lowest/high performance on nVidia, and high performance on Intel CP. I checked again and it capped at 20% this time. I think I just had a couple videos loaded as well yesterday.

Fullscreen (GPU1 is nVidia, GPU2 is iGPU):

Windowed:

The gaps in the middle of the "Fullscreen" Screenshot of Afterburner is when I alt-tabbed and was browsing chrome. And the "Windowed" Screenshot at the first bit was when I switched from Fullscreen -> Windowed. And kept playing until I alt-tabbed near the middle and quickly tabbed back in to continue the song.
Topic Starter
Mikutsune
So the iGPU would be interfering with the nVidia one in fullscreen? Maybe optimus is doing something shady here.. Would it be possible to completely disable the iGPU then test it? Like uninstall it, disable the plug and play service and see how it goes.. I don't know if it's safe though :/

Edit: Anyone know if Optimus routes all graphics through the Intel integrated graphics? If thats how it works I doubt we can do anything about this..

Edit2: So I did some more research and unless there's an option in the BIOS to disable Optimus, there's nothing we can do about it. I've been reading the optimus whitepaper out of boredom and somewhere it says that the nVidia GPU copies rendered graphics into the Intel IGP's frame buffer (which resides in system memory) when it is active. Looking at your screenshots, the iGPU is being used at 100% in fullscreen compared to it's low activity in windowed. I'm not gonna lie, I don't know exactly what all of this means but I'm pretty sure optimus is to blame and something bad happens at this level. Maybe someone with better knowledge than me about this topic could clear this up.
Syclasm
Appears to only happen in osu! Other games are perfectly fine and don't experience this issue. Any other 8xxm owners experience this issue? I hope this can be resolved.
drum drum
8xxm?
Syclasm

drum drum wrote:

8xxm?
800M series* cards