forum

[resolved] Losing PP when scoring higher on a map

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
jackart
I got an S on summer wars with a slider break in the middle, giving me 45 pp. When playing it again I get a higher combo but drop some notes at the end resulting in an A and a higher score but I only got 42 pp. I get that getting an "S" is probably worth pp on its own which is why this happened but the game shouldn't make me lose pp just because I get a higher score with an A grade....

osu! version: 20140729.6 (latest)
Jiro-kun
Well that seems to be the way of osu. I'm not sure myself but I have gotten S's with a much higher acc than my previous scores, but I end up losing ranks. It's been going for about 1 week for me. I'm pretty sure you lose pp with accuracy even with a higher combo I think you still lose PP with lower acc.
drum drum

Jiro-kun wrote:

Well that seems to be the way of osu. I'm not sure myself but I have gotten S's with a much higher acc than my previous scores, but I end up losing ranks. It's been going for about 1 week for me. I'm pretty sure you lose pp with accuracy even with a higher combo I think you still lose PP with lower acc.
pp recalculations. rip
Shirayuki
pp algorithm, when you get just a bit higher combo but lost too much accuracy, the result is less pp rewarded, but since the score will be usually higher than what you achieved, you will, unfortunately, lost pp.

And yes, so far, this is intended. (p/s: the difference between 96% and 99%, and between 99% and 100% is HUGE)
Tari
dropped in acc or didn't play for a long time leads to pp drop.
Shirayuki

Tari wrote:

dropped in acc or didn't play for a long time leads to pp drop.
Even if you are inactive for a long time, your pp will still be the same though, the only thing that'll change is your rank since others passed you.
Tari
I'm pretty sure he's worried about his rank if he's worried about losing pp.
drum drum

Tari wrote:

I'm pretty sure he's worried about his rank if he's worried about losing pp.
That isn't the issue here anyways. He's concerned about why he loses pp after getting a higher score. Shirayuki has already stated why this happens.
Tari
Yes its fine now :p no need to go on anymore if he knows why.
Topic Starter
jackart

Shirayuki wrote:

pp algorithm, when you get just a bit higher combo but lost too much accuracy, the result is less pp rewarded, but since the score will be usually higher than what you achieved, you will, unfortunately, lost pp.

And yes, so far, this is intended. (p/s: the difference between 96% and 99%, and between 99% and 100% is HUGE)
It makes sense that accuracy is valued higher than just a bit higher combo but I still don't understand why it would calculate your pp based on your highest score rather than on your highest pp performance