forum

[Archived] Problems with Standard on Wine 1.7.22 and Linux Mint 17

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Amos Defamos
Problem Details:
I've been trying to run osu! on Wine for a few weeks now. I followed the instructions here, and everything seemed to run smoothly at first. I mostly just play osu!mania myself, so I didn't really notice the problem with Standard until I tried to spectate a friend sometime later. Every other mode seems to run fine, but whenever I try to start up Standard or spectate someone who is playing Standard, osu! crashes. I find it strange that it is the only thing that doesn't seem to work, while osu!mania, Taiko, and Catch the Beat all work pretty much perfectly. It ran perfectly fine on Windows 7 on this same computer, so perhaps the solution is just to install Windows again, which I plan to do anyway eventually, but I'm curious as to why this is happening and would like to find a solution if one is indeed possible. I don't know of anyone else with the same issues as me with osu! in Wine, so I figured it would be alright to make a thread about my issues.

To give more details, it usually crashes right as circles should appear. For example on this map (on Nyan! with video off) it will immediately crash after "Go!". On some others, For example, this one (on Insane with storyboard off), it will run for a little bit, letting a few circles show up and letting auto hit them for a little bit, but will ultimately crash just a few seconds in. I believe it has something to do with the amount of objects in the map, but that's just my own speculation. I've also speculated it might be something hardware related, but if so, I do not know why it functioned fine in Windows 7. I don't believe it to be an issue with Wine, as I am not aware of anyone else with the same issues.

Some info on my hardware:
SPOILER
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU         L7400  @ 1.50GHz
Graphics Card: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller
RAM: 2GB with 2GB of swap

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
I can't really make a video of it seeing as my hardware probably would not agree too much, and a screenshot probably would not be relevant for something that's crashing, but I've included as much relevant information as I can in hopes it might help in figuring out what's going on.

Details from the crash reporter:
SPOILER
System.ArgumentException: The device does not support creating a render target of the given format.
Parameter name: format
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.RenderTarget..ctor(GraphicsDevice graphicsDevice, Int32 width, Int32 height, Int32 numberLevels, SurfaceFormat format, MultiSampleType multiSampleType, Int32 multiSampleQuality, Boolean isTexture2D)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.RenderTarget2D..ctor(GraphicsDevice graphicsDevice, Int32 width, Int32 height, Int32 numberLevels, SurfaceFormat format)
at #Ci.#Mi.Draw()
at #ui.#ti.#nX()
at #Og.#Qg.Draw()
at #rb.#xb.#Hs()
at #rb.#xb.#Ss(Object , EventArgs )
at #rb.#Bb.#dt()
at #rb.#Sb.#tv(Object , EventArgs )
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
at #rb.#Sb.Run()
at #rb.#xb.Run()
at #Og.#Vo.#gvb(String , Boolean )

Complete terminal output when running osu!, from start to the time it crashes (hosted on pastebin, because it is quite large): here

osu! version: 20140710.7 (latest)

I've tried to include as much relevant information as I could and be as descriptive as possible to help get this figured out, but if there is any other info needed, I will gladly supply it to get this figured out. Thank you.
peppy
This is slider rendering failing. Maybe try switching renderer to see if that will help?
Topic Starter
Amos Defamos
It doesn't seem like changing to OpenGL does anything. Whenever I select it in the options, osu! just restarts back in DirectX, of course still giving the crash when attempting to play a map.

It's good to get an idea of what's causing this issue though, thank you.
Topic Starter
Amos Defamos
It's been two months, but I've found a solution to the problems I've been having, and I want to post it here in case anyone ever faces the same issues.

Basically using winetricks to change OffscreenRenderingMode to "backbuffer" fixed all of my problems, the fastest way to do this being entering "winetricks orm=backbuffer" in the terminal (with winetricks installed of course).

Sliders show up as a black blob, but at least it doesn't crash instantly like it was before.

It does seem to be a problem with maps that have a black background though. There might be another solution to that, but until I figure it out, I guess it's just best to avoid such maps.