forum

In-Game Currency in Osu! : Beats!

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +50
Topic Starter
momo1478
I'm surprised that, with a brief look through the forum, no one has really suggested this... In-game currency in osu! I'm not talking about paid-for currency with actual money but in-game currency that players can earn just by playing the game or receiving as a gift. This in game currency can bring the community together by allowing players to gain reputation in other ways besides say, skill. It also allows for player hosted tournaments and influence players to play the game more casually and try other modes (considering skill/rank/score seemed to be the only assets recorded that are taken seriously). Adding these ,"Beats!"
as I like to call them, will also add ways to reward the hard working contributors of osu!

How would you earn "Beats"?
* Playing the game. An algorithm involving score, playing time, difficulty, etc. would be needed for this. ex: (Score/Combo * 300)*(Difficulty/5) + Rank (SS being roughly = 30). That is an example. This varying from game mode to game mode of course

*Receiving Beats from other players. Ability to transfer Beats via a store, or profile page.

*Official Osu Events. Players can receive Beats through community activities that may or may not include a buy-in.

*Rewarding Contributors. (Beatmap Artists, Moderators, VIPs) This would allow their hard work to go unnoticed, some of these beatmaps are phenomenal and Osu! wouldn't be the same without these people.

What are the advantage to "Beats"?
*Stronger Community/ Community Freedom. By awarding players with a meta-physical currency it gives the player freedoms about creating events (Player hosted tourneys as I have said before). It also gives them something to work for.

*Wager Matches Want to settle a dispute, feel you have the confidence to bet one it?

*Minor Player Rewards. Rewards such as chat color name, individual features that come with the "Supporter Package" at a hefty price. Such as the ability to purchase only local region leader-boards for say a month.

So what is the whole aim of this?
The aim of this idea is to bring our community closer as a whole, and add to the variety that osu! has to offer. In my opinion this is a great way to reward people without going the extra mile to give everyone who supports osu a complimentary osu! supporter tag (Although that would be nice hehe). I think, if implemented correctly, can give some individuality to the users of osu and I can guarantee that someone will come up with a unique way to use it!

Is there an example I can see this in action?
FFR (Flash Flash Revolution) : http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/

I hope I can get enough support on this idea so it has the possibility to be implemented and give the osu! community what it deserves! Beats! Please suport this... :oops:
Kurokami
The players are free to start tourneys even w/o this feature. And how do you want to prevent the misuse? I mean currently its possible to do some new acc (altough forbidden) and you only need to score some records to be able to add it to your first account. Therefore you can get infinite amounts of "Beets" and you can buy anything with it. And also this is like a free supporter for every higher player since they can get many after only 1 play. And I'm not sure if its a good idea. On the other hand if this will works like the current pp then nobody will ever get enough to pay and still easy to farm.

I think its not a bad idea but needs some cleaning and also a stuff needs to agree with it. There is many aspect what you didn't covered with your post. Try to cover everything in order to get this implemented (or at least you only get a chance after it).
Shohei Ohtani
I don't see how this would unify players lol.

The biggest issue with this is that it really has no purpose. Username colors have already been denied a few times, if I remember correctly, because they can get VERY confusing. I used to go on a few websites with this, and although its cool to be custom, it's detrimental because you won't really know what function everyone has. I can change my name to be orange and suddenly people are like "Oh hey cool BAT man mod my map." Besides, people get confused enough with the current name colors in chat, lol :P

This would work a lot better if you needed in-game currency to buy beatmap packs. You'd start with a starter pack of maybe 10-20 maps, and then you'd have to play maps enough to get enough credits to buy the next pack. However, since that isn't the case (and it'd be annoying if that was the case), there's really no purpose.
Oinari-sama
I've never had good experience with "e-peen enhancing features" on forums; I notice more divisions when they're deployed, be it "up votes" or "reputation points" etc.

There are already lots of stats around that can give you a rough idea of who's-done-a-lot-of-what (kudosu, play count, post count etc) so I don't really see a need for this request.
Slith
this would be really helpful if there was really some use to it in-game.. like if osu had an avatar system or something? then they can customize their avatars with items or etc. and has some limit to it then it would be helpful. but sadly no. if you can implement a system like it then the currency would be really helpful but other than that i can see no purpose
Myke B
Cool idea, but I guess I'm just a sucker for anything new :/
KinkiN
omg 2 yrs ago i posted something like this and got burned lol (how can i still remember it)

well now i think in game currency won't do any good :(
FireFoxZX
i can see how this would work but i dont see it working in the big scheme of things. if this is accepted it would be a good addition though
deadbeat
i don't really see a need for something like this
Myke B
Is there really a NEED for most of these suggestions? Nobody really NEEDS clans/teams, but a ton of people want it, and it's still a good idea.
Mango
No....just no. The fact of currency can just end up leading to some kids having gambling problems...lel but it all seriousness what I like about osu is the fact there isn't some sort of factor like this where i'll have to play for a certain ammount of time or buy real momey to get benefits. I enjoy osu's system as it is right now, plus Supporter status exists for a reason to sperate those who play for free from those who help support osu. If you get some of these perks just for making in-game currency it could take away from the benefits of being a supporter.
quaternary
You already earn/lose rank and PP and ranked score and accuracy and whatnot. I would love currency, but it's already somewhat confusing trying to juggle all of my stats. I would like less not more ;) The extended chat cards are already crowded enough as well, and I'm sure i would like to see everyone's money there too, but it doesn't fit :(

In short, good idea, hard to actually attach to osu! in a non-stupid way
Myke B

Supergamer087 wrote:

No....just no. The fact of currency can just end up leading to some kids having gambling problems...lel but it all seriousness what I like about osu is the fact there isn't some sort of factor like this where i'll have to play for a certain ammount of time or buy real momey to get benefits. I enjoy osu's system as it is right now, plus Supporter status exists for a reason to sperate those who play for free from those who help support osu. If you get some of these perks just for making in-game currency it could take away from the benefits of being a supporter.
I believe everything he listed was for fun, and nothing HAD to be bought into except for tournaments or something (which makes sense). If I read correctly, it's all for fun, and it's not like a legitament currency.
Topic Starter
momo1478
Guys! I'm not talking about paid currency, I'm talking about money you get from just playing the game!
Topic Starter
momo1478

Kurokami wrote:

The players are free to start tourneys even w/o this feature. And how do you want to prevent the misuse? I mean currently its possible to do some new acc (altough forbidden) and you only need to score some records to be able to add it to your first account. Therefore you can get infinite amounts of "Beets" and you can buy anything with it. And also this is like a free supporter for every higher player since they can get many after only 1 play. And I'm not sure if its a good idea. On the other hand if this will works like the current pp then nobody will ever get enough to pay and still easy to farm.

I think its not a bad idea but needs some cleaning and also a stuff needs to agree with it. There is many aspect what you didn't covered with your post. Try to cover everything in order to get this implemented (or at least you only get a chance after it).
Sorry for the double post, but I'm not getting you. Tournaments are usually pointless without a prize ( or a prize that means something), and I don't see how you can abuse this. Sure my "algorithm" on acquiring beats isn't good by any means but I'm sure someone could come up with a better one that rewards skill over time/farming abilities. And I'm not saying that we should get supporter (and if so not by any easy means), I'm saying that little extra privilleges would be nice but I'm not even expecting that. The currency, just having it, triggers a human psychology for material needs. People will want these even if they have no particular use XD. I'm just saying it would be nice. The one on flash flash revolution is a little too inflated. But I'm sure something could happen here...
Kayla
this seems pointless
Kurokami
Tourneys always have a prize (usually supporter) so I don't know why something like this should exist as a reward.
Using for extra privileges maybe good but still hard to follow. If you just want this as an extra thing which should go up like the pp system works now then the answer is simple NO. Please try to work out something which should be usable with this.

For example:

1. In a match if you lose you lose "Beats" according to your place and the first one gets them. Well, this will prevents players to go in multiplayer but still its possible to add one more button which can turn of this system easily.

2. You can "buy" some feature like Country Ranking with this for a month if you have enough but to be a limit you can buy more than 2 feature at once. And they must be small ones (Country ranking, title background) just too keep the unique status for supporter. And the cost must be different for them. And one more thing, it should be at a "farmable" level to make constant buying possible. This means you can buy Country Ranking in every month if you played enough.

I would like to be able to transfer to other players but somehow abuse needs to be prevented. Like with you need to be registered for 3 months before transfer.

/I wanted to write one more thing but I forgot it while typing. o.o
Rauf543
I think this would be a good Idea and If you could earn points by stuff like

refferals

Forum posts

and helping ppl out!
Bara-

Rauf543 wrote:

I think this would be a good Idea and If you could earn points by stuff like

refferals

Forum posts LOL
I'D BE RICH

and helping ppl out!

I don't really understand this request
Is it to get money for supporter or smth?
- Marco -
where did Loliflan's post go? O.O

Also if you get beats by forum post i'll be rich lel
show more