Spinner Sage
124 posts
Hey guys!! So first of all, I'm kinda new to this ported version of osu! but I recently jailbroke my iPhone 5S and for the last couple of weeks, I have been trying to find a way to make osu work again.

I have finally found a possible way of getting osu to work on what I would assume as ANY OS and ANY Device that can be jailbroken. I have only tested on my iPhone 5S running iOS 7.0.4 so if anyone could post their results for other devices that would be great!!

I am also playing around with the software to try and make a "REWORKED" version hence the icon being different.

NOTE: I will be adding photos to make this process as easy as possible so please bear with me ;)

NOTE 2: If you only need help adding beatmaps, please skip to "NOW"

NOTE 3: If you have ANY questions, just reply to this thread and I'll try and reply ASAP.

NOTE 4: I'm thinking of making some iPhone osu specific beatmaps that I will optimize to work the best. If ANYONE is interested please let me know down below and if there's enough popularity, I will start posting them below.

Ok so let's get to business :D

You will need -
1. An iDevice (No one saw that coming.....)
2.A computer (Can be Windows or Mac)

First things first - YOUR iDevice MUST be jailbroken.

I used this website to jailbreak - http://evasi0n.com/
It is EXTREMELY simple so I would recommend this one especially for the new iDevices.

THESE NEXT STEPS SHOULD ALL BE COMPLETED THROUGH THE iDEVICE. I WILL SAY IF A COMPUTER IS NEEDED.

Once your iDevice is jailbroken you are going to need a few programs on your iDevice. You can download all of these from Cydia (The app will appear on your device after being jailbroken)

1. osu! - This can be downloaded from the source ModMyi - http://apt.modmyi.com/

2. osu! Default Skin (This should download with osu! but just check it has been installed)

3.A file editor (iFile) - BigBoss (This should already be added as a source)

4. There isn't a 4th I just wanted to be cheeky and make sure you're following this thoroughly. :P

Once you have all of these on installed, you should see two new applications on your iDevice

osu! & iFile (Or you chosen File Editor)

5. Open osu! I'm not sure if this step is required but I'm pretty sure opening the app creates the folders necessary for the beatmaps.

NOW

Here comes the "Harder" part.

So now you should have osu, but no beatmaps...... Not to worry!!

To add beatmaps you will need to have access to a computer again with a iDevice file manager
I would recommend iFunBox - http://www.i-funbox.com/

You are also going to need to have osu on your computer.

1. Choose a beatmap from the Beatmaps section on the osu! website (FYI this website :P ) I would start off with one that only have Standard osu beatmaps (Not mania or taiko or Catch) and also download the NO VIDEO ones.

Osu can't read movie files on iDevices so it's just wasted space and download (I live in Australia so data saving is needed :cry: )

2. Add the beatmap to Osu on you're computer - This will "extract" the .osz file and convert it to a folder with the song, the seperate beatmaps & background image (And video if you didn't read what I said before).

3. Now you will need to find that folder.

If you're on an Apple device (iMac,Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, Mac Pro, Macbook)
You go Finder->Applications->(Right Click and Show Contents on Osu)->osu!->Songs->The beatmap folder should be located there.

If you're on Windows
You go My Computer->Local Disk (C:)->Program Files (x86:) or Program Files if you're on a older computer->osu!->Songs->The beatmap folder should be located there.

4. I would recommend you copy the folder to your desktop to make it more accessible.

Now that you have the beatmap converted, all that's left to do is copy it to your iDevice. Only problem is, the folder where it "Should" be copied to, is hidden so these steps will require BOTH your Computer and iDevice.

1. Plug your iDevice in the computer.

2. Open iFunBox (Or your chosen File Manager) on your computer. iFunBox (Or your chosen File Manager) should recognise the device.

3. Navigate through iFunBox to Raw File System.

4. Right click and select "New->Folder" This folder is going to be the "meeting" point between your iDevice and computer. This is also where you will put your beatmaps.

5.Open the folder and copy and paste the WHOLE beatmap folder located on your desktop. This beatmap is now on your iDevice but you will need to move it to the proper position so that osu! can read it.

You've finished with your computer so now you can close iFunBox and hop on your iDevice.

1. Open iFile (Or your chosen File Manager) on your iDevice. Don't worry if a message about the iFile License comes up just click "Later"

2. Click the Home button on the bottom.

3. Then navigate to Media->Beatmaps->The beatmap folder should be there. Now you just have to move it :)

4. Click "Edit" on the top-right and select the folder.

5. Click the bottom right button that looks like a clipboard and select "Cut"

6 .Now click the Home button again

7. Click on Documents->osu->beatmaps->This is where you need to paste the folder.

8. Click "Edit" again and select the clipboard. Then click on "Paste"

The folder should now be located in the beatmaps folder of osu.

NOW X2 If you have followed all my steps and I haven't completely stuffed up the steps on this post, you should now be able to open osu and play the beatmap!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

FAQ:

Q: My osu crashes when I try playing the beatmap.
A: This happens if the beatmap isn't compatible. I haven't determined what causes this exactly but for the time being, try a different beatmap ;)

Q: iFile doesn't appear on my home screen
A: If you've just reset your iDevice, the Cydia downloaded apps may be hidden. Just go back onto Cydia and reinstall one of the installed programs and they should all reappear like "magic" :lol:

Q: My beatmaps are out of time/off-beat.
A: It has something to do with the way the old osu reads beatmaps. Check Note 4
Last edited by Cannu on , edited 2 times in total.
19,090 posts
Nothing is new here. It still works as it always has.
Spinner Sage
124 posts
Just explaining the installation progress step by step so that all can understand and shouldn't run into any issues.
19,090 posts
Which hasn't changed since the old one.
Spinner Sage
124 posts
Basically the same method just explained step by step and I'm planning on adding photos to further assist people :D
Rhythm Incarnate
803 posts
Did you mention that you have to set the folder permissions of the /var/mobile/Documents/osu folder? (User, Group and World have to have Read, Write, Execute enabled)

Its necessary if you want your scores saved, so the game can write your new records to the SQLite file. Or is this not required in your version?
Spinner Sage
124 posts
I never did that when I installed and my scores still save. One thing that I have noticed is that I am unable to "Enter Name" after completing the song. The high scores save.

Also, does anyone have any idea if it's possible to edit the format ? I am wanting to try and change it to a iPhone 5 Retina screen as opposed to the iPhone 3Gs screen.
Rhythm Incarnate
803 posts
CannuJul wrote:
Also, does anyone have any idea if it's possible to edit the format ? I am wanting to try and change it to a iPhone 5 Retina screen as opposed to the iPhone 3Gs screen.

What format?

If you're talking about the graphics in game then the only real way is to make retina versions of these graphics(found in /Applications/osu! or something).

Don't use the existing ones though, blowing them up to 2x size will make it look probably worse.
Spinner Sage
124 posts
mrdumpling64 wrote:
CannuJul wrote:

What format?

If you're talking about the graphics in game then the only real way is to make retina versions of these graphics(found in /Applications/osu! or something).

Don't use the existing ones though, blowing them up to 2x size will make it look probably worse.

I mean that currently when I run it, it uses the old standard screen ratio. I'm actually downsizing the pc version as they're HD :) I've implemented some but I've realised that the app itself is downscaling them. That's why I need to work out how to make the app run in retina. I checked the default skin and the images are actually a lot clearer than they appear when using the app.
Rhythm Incarnate
803 posts
Most likely because that's how it was coded (forced downsizing, and the fixed 4:3 ratio of the screen). If you have a Mac you could maybe install Xcode and poke around the files (don't ask me how because I have no experience in the coding field :P )

CannuJul wrote:
I checked the default skin and the images are actually a lot clearer than they appear when using the app.

I know right :) (but then, that's how iFile's Image Viewer previews them)
Spinner Sage
124 posts
mrdumpling64 wrote:
Most likely because that's how it was coded (forced downsizing, and the fixed 4:3 ratio of the screen). If you have a Mac you could maybe install Xcode and poke around the files (don't ask me how because I have no experience in the coding field :P )

CannuJul wrote:
I checked the default skin and the images are actually a lot clearer than they appear when using the app.

I know right :) (but then, that's how iFile's Image Viewer previews them)

As a matter of fact I do!! I've got Xcode but I have absolutely no clue how to edit the files let alone open them in Xcode. I think the MainWindow.nib is the file controlling the ratios and display but it's compiled from what I can see which means I can't edit it. The only editable format would be the original files from the creator...... meaning we need nuddles :) :) :) :)
Tempo Trainee
14 posts
you can ad beatmaps way easier than with the pc you can just download them in safari when ifile is instsalled easy guide ;

1. search for the beatmap you want and download it
2. wait for the window that says in the upper right cornor "open in ifile"
3. press the button! i file will open now.
4. move the file into the osu! directory on your iphone
5. now create a folder with the exact same name as the beatmap is called. example "46480 Fear, and Loathing in Las ..."
you need the number but dont write .osz !!!
6. now move the beatmap into the created folder and changed the file extension from .osz to .zip and unpack it.
7. some files dont have the needed permissions wich they would normaly get from osu! on pc so you have to changed them manualy on the iphone now!
as i dont exactly know wich permissions are needed just give them all LULZ!
8. if you need disk space you can now delete the .zip and your are done

this looks longer than it actually takes ;)
Rhythm Incarnate
803 posts
There's also custom skin support here as well.

The skin folder can be pasted into the /Applications/Osu.app/skins folde, just overwrite the "default" folder's contents

Reinstalling "osu! Default skin" in Cydia will (most likely) revert the skin to what it was before, if you don't like your new skin.
Slider Savant
108 posts
A new, actualized version of osu! for iphone would be very nice (at least optimised at the level of osu!droid)
Rhythm Incarnate
1,478 posts
It does work on iPhone 5 with iOS 7.0.4 jailbreak with evasi0n 7, but... It's terribly buggy, it's most of the time unusable. (Skip fonction is buggy, pausing the game without failing is almost impossible, music and beats are not correctly synch, slow sliders makes a realy high frame drop...) I thought osu!droid was buggy but this is maybe 1000x worse.
ImageImage
Reply 35 posts jump | 1, 2, 3  next