forum

Queen - Another One Bites The Dust

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
kennyloo69
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Thursday, February 07, 2008 at 4:11:07 PM

Artist: Queen
Title: Another One Bites The Dust
BPM: 109.79
Filesize: 3446kb
Play Time: 03:12
Difficulties Available:
  1. Normal (2.53 stars, 244 notes)
Download: Queen - Another One Bites The Dust
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
This is my second beat map. First one didn't turn out so well, but I learned from it. Enjoy.

Update: Got rid of the 30 second break and replaced it with beats. There is now no break there.

Update: Added a break from 2:07 to 2:21 just as Echo suggested. I agree that it makes the beatmap more balanced in breaks.
chan
This is pretty good for a second beatmap. Nice to see a good timing setup, couldn't find anything wrong with the BPM or offset. Some of your linear sliders were slightly angled (not perfectly horizontal/vertical). I think you should fix those up. Also some funny timing at the following:

01:08:04 - Slider needs to be shifted forward to start of the beat
01:18:84 - Spinner should be started on a beat (like at 01:19:04)
01:29:83 - Slider should start on the beat
01:49:51 - same as 01:18:84
02:53:93 - Maybe shifted to 02:54:00
03:03:56 - same as 01:29:83

This is a pretty linear beatmap, most notes are in straight lines. This could get repetitive for some players, so maybe you could think about making some patterns in some of your combos for a bit more variety. Hope this helps, let me know what you think.
[Starred]
Topic Starter
kennyloo69
I took your suggestions and uploaded accordingly. Also changed the beat positions so it isn't too linear. Hope its better now.
Echo
There's only one thing I didn't like, and that's the ~30s break from 1:53 to 2:21. If you do plan on shortening it, judging from the way the breaks are spaced out at the moment, I think it's best to shift the start of the break a little later.
Kimichi
This is a great improvement from your first upload. You picked an excellent song (Queen rawks) and I think your BeatMap is rankworthy once you fix the minor flaws pointed out by the Mods.
I agree with Echo49 about the long break.
Topic Starter
kennyloo69
Well I put that break there simply because there isn't much going on in the song, and the beats would pretty much be nothing but repetition. I'll shorten it though and add some more stuff.
Echo
This is just a suggestion - if you have a break from 2:07 to 2:21, replacing the red repeated slider and the spinner, then map the first break (0:21 to 0:27), the map will become a lot more balanced in terms of breaks being spread throughout the map. Can you consider doing this?
Topic Starter
kennyloo69
I took your suggestion and added that break. You're right. It does give the map more balance. Any other suggestions? By the way, thanks for all of the comments. They helping me out a lot.
chan
Nice to see you made the appropriate changes, it plays a lot better now. I think this is ready for ranking. You get a thought bubble :D
Hitoshirenu Shourai
Well done! I have no problems with this one. And now as Pokemon learn new moves...

1, 2, and... ... ... Poof! You have learned RANKED MAP.
Wulf Dagov
Thx a lot, Queen is da shizz.
XahXhaX
If you don't mind some criticism: I think the biggest thing that makes a fun EBA mission is in the song selection, and this wasn't a good song to pick. It's long+repetitive, without much going on in the backing music or vocal line. Too much empty space, not many movements, you could literally fit in a million of those spinners or just breaks anywhere in this song.

Maybe your intention was just to find an easy one to start out with (I'm only learning this as well), I think you did a decent job for what could be done and hopefully after awhile realized there wasn't much that anybody could do with the same repeating parts.

It's also very quiet so that the sound effects of the markers overrides the music.

Personally, if you wanted to do a Queen song I think there are a few that would make a more interesting EBA level. Princes of the Universe would make a good one, it has plenty of movements and it rocks. Bohemian Rhapsody is a classic with numerous movements that you could play with. Anything off their final album would probably work well, EBA did use I Was Born to Love You afterall. Any Queen song would probably have to be put through some volume booster program though.

Anway, do keep up the good work and just keep some of this in mind hopefully when picking out your next song: volume, try to visualize what kind of things you could do with phrase markers while listening to it, the less the song is comprised of just verse-chorus-verse the better.
chan
Ouch!

As a bit of token defence for the poor beatmapper, Bohemian Rhapsody is waaay longer, but there is certainly a lot more variety within (it's like 4 songs in 1). I'd also like to point out that Bohemian Rhapsody has some nasty BPM slowdown/speedup with that rocking guitar solo.

Would like to see you take up a more interesting song though -_-;
XahXhaX
I don't know about "way longer", it's 5:51 according to my library and Another One Bites the Dust @ 3:32. So it's not Pink Floyd's Echoes or one of Tool's opuses.

But you don't have to map the full thing, in fact I wouldn't recommend it. EBA enjoys shorter cover versions of songs that are resequenced specifically for the game's format. So unless you're a master at Cakewalk or whatever for remixing music, just find a place to cut it off. Release a long and short version if you want to go for it. The point of course is that whatever you did map out would have plenty to do, you could follow the vocal line, backing music, and it varies a lot. I think the song has what? thirty two key changes? Something like that...

Of course, on the other hand one could make the argument that AOBtD would be a good song for beginners. Just look at the first levels of EBA/Ouendan. All they do is pretty much repetitive quarter beats.