This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by all users a limited number of times per month.
osu! Alumni
1,017 posts
I intend on eventually sticky-ing this topic once some consensus is made for these guidelines.

I'd like to see members making requests adhering to these following general guidelines:

Guidelines:

1. Make a thorough effort to search for related requests (using the search feature). If a similar request already exists, bump or post the thread with amendments to it. Also, check the changelog to see if a request is already in the test release.
  2. Don't request anything that has already been rejected unless you have a really good reason as to why it shouldn't have been rejected.
  3. Use a relevant and descriptive title (not "my request" or "plz add this").
  4. Keep to one request per topic.
  5. Include a reason for adding your request.
  6. You should wait at least 24 hours to shoot stars to a request. You will not get your stars back if we have to merge/duplicate your topic.
  7. Don't request ports. We don't need people to tell us we need ports, we need people to make them. Contact peppy if you're willing to make a port.
  8. Don't request a toggle for disabling [insert new feature here] unless you want peppy to come to your house with a baseball bat.
  9. Do NOT request beatmaps here. Make them yourself or ask someone privately.

At the moment, some people don't bother with these things which I thought were pretty sensible. I think these guidelines would make the forum a lot more organised and easier to look through.
I've tidied up most of the "my request" threads, but I don't think I'll split multi-requests into seperate topics.

Mods/peppy/anyone else, thoughts or amendments on this?
osu! Alumni
3,092 posts
Probably nice to know but not required is a reason for the request?
osu! Alumni
1,017 posts
Uh, yeah, that too! I think most requests are already like that (no unsubstantiated requests so far, I think) but definitely should be included in guidelines

[added]
17,196 posts
I'd probably add a line saying "search the forum for your request quite thoroughly before making a new post". We still get quite a few duplicate requests. If you have a request that already has a post, bump it and add whatever is missing or different from the original request.
osu! Alumni
12,352 posts
What about how important you value the request (priority)?

When requesting a feature, sometimes it's just an "it would be nice if...", other times it's "I think osu! would be much better if..." etc.

While it might seem superfluous other users reading the request might offer their empathies as well to help gauge how much push there is for a feature.
ImageImage
Twally Spocks is best pony ♥
Proud user of Etna Sliders.

You'll never pierce my admintium armour.
osu! Alumni
1,017 posts
Kinda like ranking a feature? That could be quite cool too.
osu! Alumni
3,092 posts
Updated to include ports and toggles.

sneaky edit: modified toggle point
Administrator
7,252 posts
Made the font larger (since people obviously fail to read [provided they even LOOK at this thread...]) and removed the planned features list since it's waaaaaaaay outdated.
Pro Tester
4,124 posts
Added rule 8, since there seems to be an influx of beatmap requests for some reason (and it wasn't explicitly stated not to request them before.)
osu! Alumni
7,953 posts
Seems like you accidentally changed it to regular topic too, so i fixed that.
Focusing on Mafia now.
Here's my meta, if you need it.
Pro Tester
4,124 posts
Locked 11 posts