forum

No Skin / No Background mods [Denied]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Skya
Okay here is the problem, I have a great skin for osu! I really love, it's simple, helps me concentrate during beatmaps and looks great. However, I constantly have to deal with background images and song skins that get in the way of gameplay and it's really unnerving me. I chose this skin because I like it, why can't I use it? I don't think other people's tastes should be forced onto you on every beatmap you play. :|

I have nothing against people personnalizing their beatmaps but the problem in that is that not everyone is skilled in that sort of thing and not everyone has the same tastes. Most of the time, it's set to fit with the person who made the map's tastes with little to no regard to the gameplay. Sometimes I had to stop playing a beatmap that didn't necessarily have anything wrong with it simply because it had either a background that was too flashy/disturbing for me to bear or a skin that rendered it unplayable.

We already have a mod that suppresses videos and I'm simply asking for the same with backgrounds and skins. I don't think it would be much trouble to add those to the game and it would help greatly as I think those can get just as much in the way as videos. Thanks :)
0_o
this has been rejected SEVERAL times

I think peppy should update the list of things not to request :P
aallie_old
this is going to get rejected, sadly.

there's a workaround, though I don't know if it's a bannable offence to post it.
:o
0_o

aallie wrote:

this is going to get rejected, sadly.

there's a workaround, though I don't know if it's a bannable offence to post it.
:o
It's not, if you mean deleting the skin/background in the song folder, though that won't possible when peppy releases osz2
Topic Starter
Skya
But why doesn't peppy allow it? I don't get it at all
0_o

Skya wrote:

But why doesn't peppy allow it? I don't get it at all
Because you are supposed to play the map the way the mapper intended it to be played. The No Video option is only there for technical reasons.
Topic Starter
Skya
But that's my whole point, videos can get in the way because they make you lag, but skins and backgrounds can get just as much in the way for different reasons. The mapper may want you to play the map that way but what if the mapper made it unplayable that way? You're still supposed to play it that way? Ridiculous!
Derekku

Skya wrote:

But that's my whole point, videos can get in the way because they make you lag, but skins and backgrounds can get just as much in the way for different reasons. The mapper may want you to play the map that way but what if the mapper made it unplayable that way? You're still supposed to play it that way? Ridiculous!
If it's unplayable for you, then just don't play it.
Topic Starter
Skya
3/4 of the maps I download have a skin of their own, why can't I use the skin I have? What is the point of having skins if every map have their own you're forced to use?
LuigiHann
Hi! I make maps with skins in them. Do you have a question for me? :P

The fact is, from my perspective as a mapper, removing the background image or skinned elements that I chose to add, would ruin my map as much as if you could delete the hitcircles that you didn't like

On a related note, this gets requested and denied all the time, and was in fact requested and denied by peppy already today: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=14889

So maybe you could search a little next time to see if your ideas have already been suggested
Topic Starter
Skya
I tried searching and I found nothing, I was certain it hadn't been suggested. I understand it may be unfair to those who skin their maps, but some people can't play beatmaps with beats they can't see or on backgrounds that gives them headaches. If this gets requested so often there might be a reason behind it.
LuigiHann
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
peppy
My opinion is already known on this, but to make things clear:

A map should only be playable in its fully skinned state. This is one of the main reasons for osz2 development (so you can't go changing what a map looks like). osu! is not like other rhythm games, where backgrounds or videos may be placed randomly and are just a "distraction". A map is a work of art, including its skin, background and video.

In fact, with the new video code, it would be feasible to now remove the noVideo mod.

If you need "no distractions" in order to enjoy playing osu! maps, maybe you have the wrong game and you should find a community which focuses on pure competition rather than creativity.

:)