forum

[resolved] Playing Osu on a flashdrive, it no work

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
SpaghettiMaster
I heard that playing Osu! on a flash drive would be no problem.
But when I go to my school's computer lab I load it up on the flash drive and when I open Osu it crashes instantly without showing even a window pop up.
I am unsure what exactly is causing this problem, but I would love some help with it.

Extra info
Permissions: Hardly able to do shit, can't even right click.
Running directly from the flash drive.

How to reproduce this.
1. Move the main osu directory to a flash drive.
2. Go to any of the computers at my school's computer lab.
3. Try to run Osu and watch it crash.
Winshley
Perhaps they have put up restrictions so that it would automatically kill unnecessary processes, or something is wrong with the computer's configurations.

I have been playing osu! often on either my flash drive or my external HDD, and they work fine.
kingking9
If you're having permissions issues even right clicking on things, it's extremely unlikely that you'll be able to run osu! from the flash drive either. Some schools have different computer policies than others - i'm unable to run osu! at my school as well, but other people on osu! have no issues at all running it at school. It's mostly down to how the IT department have configured it.
Topic Starter
SpaghettiMaster
Update: Someone else in my school got it to work, so it is not the configuration of the computer.
So now, how do I get it to run from a flash drive?
kingking9
Copy what they did, possibly?
Topic Starter
SpaghettiMaster

kingking9 wrote:

Copy what they did, possibly?
I don't know what they did, I just heard that some kid was playing osu in the computer lab.
He is in the class before me, and I don't know him so I can't ask him.
Topic Starter
SpaghettiMaster
Sigh, still looking for help.
MillhioreF
If permissions are locked down that much, I'm not sure there's anything you can do. Try making sure osu! has all the necessary config files on the flash drive so it doesn't have to try and create anything.
Topic Starter
SpaghettiMaster

MillhioreF wrote:

If permissions are locked down that much, I'm not sure there's anything you can do. Try making sure osu! has all the necessary config files on the flash drive so it doesn't have to try and create anything.
There is enough permissions, some kid at my school was playing Osu right in front of me.
When I asked him how he got it to work he flicked me off and walked away...I'm still confused.
The config files thing didn't work btw.
PS: I am now going to attempt straight up running the installer, if that doesn't work I will try to install .net framework.
Nathanael
.NET Framework doesn't have anything to do with restrictions but that might resolve osu! crashing.

Before you install it, Try to check it first at "Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features" if there is already there.
The required version of .NET Framework was 3.5 so if its lower then install it. But if its higher like 4.5, then no need for downgrading.
peppy
WHy has the error not been provided yet. Seriously?
Winshley

xSpacex wrote:

when I open Osu it crashes instantly without showing even a window pop up.
This?
FrzR
My classmate gave a copy from osu! directly from his USB. Ran everything well and no problems at all. The problem might be in your computer. :3
Nathanael

Winshley wrote:

xSpacex wrote:

when I open Osu it crashes instantly without showing even a window pop up.
This?
How did he/she knew that it crashes even it doesn't show a pop-up window? o.o

Hmm. How about trying to open another game on that computer? I guess it can help confirm the restrictions.
( Well the game should be also inside the flash drive. )
peppy
There has to be an error of some kind. If not, something on the system is dismissing it or hiding it. If you are not seeing any error, a video of what happens may be able to give us some hints.
Topic Starter
SpaghettiMaster

peppy wrote:

There has to be an error of some kind. If not, something on the system is dismissing it or hiding it. If you are not seeing any error, a video of what happens may be able to give us some hints.
Sorry for the delayed response, let me clear the confusion.
I get the "Osu! has stopped working." pop up, but nothing else.
PS: I tried to run the installer and it put the cursor into some weird glitch state of the loading cursor, then normal, then loading, and so on. No error message or anything, and then the screen went black.
Topic Starter
SpaghettiMaster
Still looking for help guiz
OzzyOzrock
The only time osu! gives me trouble on a usb is when I don't have access to system files, but that's obvious.

Your situation is strange.
Topic Starter
SpaghettiMaster

OzzyOzrock wrote:

The only time osu! gives me trouble on a usb is when I don't have access to system files, but that's obvious.

Your situation is strange.
I'm well aware, that's why I am looking for help ._.
Topic Starter
SpaghettiMaster
Still looking. :?
show more