forum

Offline Multiplayer [duplicate]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Oddbrother
I think it would be nice if the game also featured offline multiplayer.

How does that work? Well, here are my ideas:

One Mouse Party Games
  1. Horse (2 Players):
    If a song has more than one break in it, players would take turns in phases of the song to see if they can give each other a letter to knock out the other player. One player builds up a score on that phase of the song, the other player has to beat it. If he fails, he gets a letter. If the player that has to start building up a score misses once, he gets a letter and it will be the other player's turn to build up the score.
  2. Multi-song Horse competition (2 Players):
    Instead of phases of a song, more than one song will be used to build the scores. Failing a song results in losing possesion of building the score and getting a letter. This game may take much longer.
  3. Basic (Multiplayer):
    Players would take turns at taking over the mouse to see if they can land their scores on a selected song. The scores get tallied up after all players have finished the song.
Multi Mouse Party Games
  1. Duet (2 Players):
    Having learnt about Co-op from playing Elite Beat Agents. If you have an (extra) USB mouse for another person to play with you, you and your partner can try and take independent routes. Now having seen Co-op gameplay from EBA, the hit markers should correspond with the players by the color of their cursor, and the specific markers that each player must hit can be given a recognizable outer glow color.
  2. Basic Team (2 Players per team):
    Teams take turns to work together and build up their high score against the others.
Other
  1. Vs. Ghost:
    Think you can take on the replay that other's have tracked on a song? Prove it! Vs. Ghost will be like online multiplayer, but instead of taking on an opponent live, you will take on the record that the previous player has left behind, beat by beat.
eyup
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
EiJi
Eyup! I was wondering where you've been. I wanna spec you playing my two latest maps! ;)

I like his ideas too, except the horse.

I'd also like to actually play a sort of Vs against the other player. Like two mouses, and the map plays as normal, but the first player to actually hit a note, gets the point. BUT, if player 1 hits a note first and get a 100, and player two hits the note after player 1 but gets a 300, player two would get the point.

Sounds kinda cool to me.

Edit: Eww, I said mouses... I shall leave that in to show my stupidity! :P (mice*)
Saturos

eyup wrote:

Offline multiplayer would be nice to introduce friends to osu!. Now if only Ivalset moves to Melbourne, I could slay him in person :mrgreen: I don't fancy my chances against Saturos, though.
Honestly, I'd be more worried about rtsmarty at this point. Came out of no where a couple days ago and is flying through the rankings while destroying a lot of our scores. Besides, you're still better than me, eyup. ;)

Anyways, I'd love to see all of these concepts implemented eventually, because as eyup already mentioned, it'd be a great way to introduce some new people to the game. And I've got a few friends who've been thinking about playing this but feel kind of awkward doing so. The Horse idea would probably cause some problems, though, as it would most likely need songs to be mapped specifically for that mode.
chan
How about something as simple as split screened osu! with mirrored layouts? This could be coop or vs a là Beatmania/DDR etc.
Topic Starter
Oddbrother
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
MechaBowser_old
I like the vs ghost idea, but the horse thing is kinda overdoing it.
awp
Topic Starter
Oddbrother

awp wrote:

You have never hooked two mouse input devices into a single machine before, have you? I'm relatively certain this would be very difficult to accomplish, considering the mouse is only one cursor. If it's possible to distinguish which port (read: port, not input device) the input is coming from then it's entirely possible, but you're basically coding a mouse driver in order to get this to work. Not a simple task.
That didn't stop the makers of Rag Doll Kung Fu. They were able to put more than one cursor on the machine, have them assign one mouse per player, and work. If it's possible on that game, it's possible on anything else.
awp
If it runs in dedicated fullscreen I can see it being simple enough, but I don't know if that'd be the case for something like osu!, which supports windowed mode (which I use exclusively) and the whole moving the cursor outside the window I would think should produce strange results.

also lol there is phallic imagery on the ragdoll homepage
derkaho
So nobody cares for offline multiplayer anymore? Because I do :(
Devochka_old
Nice ideas! Support!