forum

A new rating system

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +52
Topic Starter
Ekaru
It's come up recently, so why not a poll?

See, there are a few issues with the current rating system. Those being:

1. It's unclear. This is the main issue. The only clear likes and dislikes are 10s and anything below a 5.
2. People have different perceptions of an out of 10 scale. Unlike, say, out of 5, or a 'like/dislike', out of 10 is really unclear. Some use 5 as average, some use 7. Some people only use 1 if they dislike a map, 10 if they like it. Speaking of which...
3. People bitch about 1s. 1s are going to happen no matter what, but people will whine about them. Why? Because 1s are generally unused.

D33d's idea is cool:

:)/:|/:(

Per difficulty per mapset. This seems to be the one most wanted if a change was to take place. :P

1. It's clear. It's clear even if you don't know English, assuming Like is green and Dislike is red, because, well, we all know if you like or dislike something, and those are the standard colors.
2. People have the same perceptions of like, dislike, and undecided. This is true.
3. You can't bitch about 1s. Heck, you can't even bitch about dislikes. Why? Because we all know that some people dislike a map, and dislikes are always used in this kind of system.

Oh, and the issue about not feeling bad to give a low rating. :P So... yeah...

Probably won't be implemented, but go ahead anyways and discuss.

EDIT: Updated proposed idea with what appears to be the most popular set-up.
anonymous_old
Oh, the irony.

Your poll, make it three options.
Topic Starter
Ekaru
Done. Happy? ;_;
anonymous_old
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Gabi
i vote no because it's just going to be

dislike 1-4, undecided 5, like 6-10.

it gives us less options to choose from how we feel about a map. also if your map is getting an excessive (SP?) amount of 1's, maybe its time to change mapping style or song style. i doubt that theres that many trolls that votes 1 on maps.
Starrodkirby86
I don't really feel any iffiness towards the rating system at the moment. I'm supposedly indifferent I guess.

But looking at the Like/Dislike/Undecided thing I'm pretty much against. This can easily make a map that might even seem great or fun go into the dump instantly because of Dislike. There's less choices, and each one makes already a grave impact...I guess...:/
Gens
What would happen to Mapper Rankings then? Will all the votes be deleted? D:
0_o
I think it should be Neutral instead of undecided.

And YES I support this.
Zerostarry

Gens wrote:

What would happen to Mapper Rankings then? Will all the votes be deleted? D:
Mapper's Ranking is bullshit anyways. A person with 1 ranked map rated 8.5+ would be up top, where as a much more experienced mapper with 20 maps is likely to fall much much lower.
Hanyuu
you dont understand the reason of rating. you dont rate a map on how you like it or how you dislike it
ratings 1-4 are generally not needed because a ranked map should be good

i pick "maybe" here because i think a new system is not very needed
Topic Starter
Ekaru

Hanyuu wrote:

you dont understand the reason of rating. you dont rate a map on how you like it or how you dislike it
ratings 1-4 are generally not needed because a ranked map should be good

i pick "maybe" here because i think a new system is not very needed
I got a poor map ranked before (Heatman). :D

People generally rate based on how much they like it. If they loved it, 10. They despise it to death, 1-4. A map can be technically correct but still boring as hell. We don't exactly rate objectively. :P If I liked it, I rate it high. If I dislike it, I rate it low. If I consider it about average, I give it about a 7. That's how people rate, believe it or not. NOTHING will change that!
anonymous_old

Ekaru wrote:

People generally rate based on how much they like it. If they loved it, 10. They despise it to death, 1-4. A map can be technically correct but still boring as hell. We don't exactly rate objectively. :P If I liked it, I rate it high. If I dislike it, I rate it low. If I consider it about average, I give it about a 7. That's how people rate, believe it or not. NOTHING will change that!
Except a new rating system.
Echo
I like to be able to make a distinction between a 10 and an 8, both of which would fall under (my) "like" category. Likewise with a 1 and a 4.
Jarby
I only give ratings to ranked maps that are outstandingly good or bad in the first place, so I would prefer a system like what you described.
Gemi
I would like a "like"/"dislike"/"neutral" rating system.

Yes, this would mean that we'd have to wipe the ratings for all songs, but in the long run I see this as a beneficial thing. And even though all old maps would lose their ratings, on the positive side this would give users the chance to go back and change their votes on those maps which they might have voted badly on before. And since the database can now store who voted what people could then change their votes on all maps if they change their mind later on.

Edit: Also at the same time ratings should be made map specific, not song specific. I remember songs where I absolutely hated one map while I loved another, and I just can't make a vote that makes any justice to both.
RemmyX25
I really dont feel the need for a rating system like you describe. If you're so upset over a few ones, then you're just setting yourself up for more "Dislikes," seeing as that pretty much covers 1-4. Also, a ranked map can still receive a 1 if the map just isnt fun, but follows all of the rankability guidelines. (At least, thats what i would have given it.) But, if a map really stands out to me, I would rather give it a 10 instead of a 9.

Now, if I were to suggest a change, a per difficutly rating system would be nice.
Topic Starter
Ekaru

RemmyX25 wrote:

I really dont feel the need for a rating system like you describe. If you're so upset over a few ones, then you're just setting yourself up for more "Dislikes," seeing as that pretty much covers 1-4. Also, a ranked map can still receive a 1 if the map just isnt fun, but follows all of the rankability guidelines. (At least, thats what i would have given it.) But, if a map really stands out to me, I would rather give it a 10 instead of a 9.

Now, if I were to suggest a change, a per difficutly rating system would be nice.
That still doesn't address the reasons about how people have different perceptions of the 1-10 scale, and how it's currently unclear how many people liked or disliked a map, which is why I want a new system. I don't care about 1s. ;P

Now address those points please.
Gabi
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
LuigiHann
The more I think about it, the more I completely disagree with this. Making it so "black and white" just decreases the amount of precision people have with regard to rating maps.

And there's nothing particularly unclear about the current system.
Topic Starter
Ekaru
show more