forum

osu! doesn't always recognize folders dragged into Songs [confirmed]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
LolitaDaisu
Okay so, here's the deal.

A few months ago I uninstalled osu! because I needed computer space, I've now re-downloaded it and copy and pasted the folder with all my songs/beatmaps on this side of the computer. Osu doesn't seem to recognize them even when I drag and drop and I'm assuming its because I don't have a certain file? I would dislike to have to download all of them again because I have a lot of songs. My friend sent me her's and she has 90+ songs. I extracted them and osu still didn't recognize them. As I said before, I would hate to have to re-download the songs. Can someone help me?

-Thanks in advance o v o

How to replicate:

TheVileOne wrote:

1. Have an existing beatmap in Songs folder
2. Drag it out of the songs folder (might not be necessary as long as you have a similar song folder to drag back in)
3. Without refreshing, delete the beatmap from the ingame menu
4. Place the folder back in
5. No amount of refreshing will get that folder to detect in the song list after this happens.

I guess dragging folders from an old song folder into a new song folder after uninstalling has the same result.
TheVileOne
Download a new song and have it detect the beatmap.
Topic Starter
LolitaDaisu
Hm, it recognized the file but not the others. From what I'm seeing, my files are downloading differently from what they use to. They now download as osu!beatmap instead of in folder like they usually do. Or if they have always downloaded like that, I never noticed.
TakuMii
They always download as .osz files, which the game extracts into a folder. The folders won't work properly unless they were extracted by the same installation of osu!, so you probably need to redownload all of your beatmaps.
Topic Starter
LolitaDaisu
Ah, okay. It's gonna be a bit of a pain. Hah, thanks for the help. o u o
TheVileOne
Dragging a file from and back into the folder should redetect it.
TheVileOne
Confirming.

Dragging a folder into the Songs folder doesn't detect it in the list.

Replication: Drag a beatmap in folder form into the songs folder. It seems to only not detect with folders that were already part of the folder at some point.

1. Have an existing beatmap in Songs folder
2. drag it out of the songs folder and back in
3. No amount of refreshing will get that folder to detect in the song list after this happens.

I guess dragging folders from an old song folder into a new song folder after uninstalling has the same result.
MillhioreF
I can't replicate this.
TheVileOne
I forgot a replication step. You need to delete the mapset and then attempt to drag the folder back in. The game will not detect the folder if you do this.
MillhioreF
Okay, now I can replicate.
Winshley
Fixed the [confirmed] tag.
peppy
I can't seem to replicate.

I am deleting the beatmap from osu! then dragging into Songs, and osu! will ask me to refresh, which results in the beatmap reappearing. Am I doing something wrong?
TheVileOne
I can't test on test build. p/2452988#p2452988
peppy
The test build problems should be fixed with the update I just pushed.
TheVileOne
Edit: Only Ranked maps seem to not reappear when dragging the folder back in. Unsure if you need to play the maps to get them to work. I tested with an unranked map and it detected it, but i tried with a ranked map and it disappeared. I'm not sure if you need a specific submitted score for it to work or not. All the maps I've tested that have worked, I've ranked on at least one of the difficulties. It might be a factor.

Specifically I tried this map. but I've already tested with other ranked maps.
peppy
I tested with a ranked map, fwiw. And looking at the code I can't see any reason it would differ between ranked/unranked.
TheVileOne
Not sure. All i'm doing is finding a beatmap, locating the folder in Songs. I select the beatmap above the song so that it lets me drag the folder out. Once the folder out, I reselect the beatmap in the list. right-click, delete all maps. Then I drag the folder back in and it seems that it works for some maps but not others. Maybe it detects the first map, but doesn't work for maps after that?

I can do some more testing. If it doesn't work for you using the method above, i'm not sure what could be triggering it for me that isn't happening for you. That is exactly how I am triggering it. The detect new mapset message doesn't appear when the folder is dragged in, because for some reason the game still thinks it's part of the list already. But its not in the list because its been removed via deleting it.

Edit: I think i'm going to do the testing tomorrow.
peppy
I wasn't doing the move-out-of-folder-manually step before deleting.

This is really weird behaviour in the first place. Why would you do this?
TheVileOne
I discovered this while testing an issue with oszs have really long file names not exporting. I would drag the folder out to prevent duplicate folder issues while testing. The problem is that dragging the folder back in didn't redetect the map. Normally this isn't a big deal, but if you read the OP it seems there are some people who reinstall the game drag all their song folders back in from a separate area and the game doesn't detect them. This is a serious problem, because the only solution is to redownload the maps or I think making a change within the folder of each song will trigger it.
MillhioreF
Moving to low priority due to inactivity as well as really obscure replication steps.
show more