forum

How do you read HD+HR? (MMzz has ocd)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
thelewa
So, up to this point I've memorized every single HD+HR score that I've done, but today I thought that this was a rather inefficient method. Retrying every map that I play about 50 times before I have the stacks and hidden circles memorized sucks balls.

The purpose of this thread is for people to tell me how they, as players, read HD+HR (especially stacks and circles under sliders) and not so much about giving me advice since I doubt anyone in here could actually give me useful advice. But I could probably learn from how other people play.

inb4 "practice"
telling someone to practice but not telling them how, is quite useless
Kanye West
Play without Hidden.
Oinari-sama
I can't play HD+HR on the sort of crazy maps you guys play (yet), but whenever I have HD on I pay more attention to appearing circles rather than the circle that's due immediately. This works well when the map "makes sense" to me, but not so well if the circle timing do not match any of the tempo/lyrics/drums/instruments, since my eyes are not on the circle that's due and I'm solely relying on the rhythm.

I'm not good at memorising the map, so if I can't find the next circle after the slider I sometimes blind click on the slider endpoint by guessing with the rhythm. Yeah bad habit I know...
winber1
Reaction time.

no seriously. Honestly, I don't even play nomod sometimes. I just put on hardrock, sightread it a few times and I get it down. Actually, I've gotten some easy hard rock scores on the first try by just sightreading random stuff like this.

As for stacks, I've realized that I'm actually decent at reading hidden, and much of the time I don't even need the approach circle to read stacks and back and forth notes. Like, it's become intuition sometimes as to where an "unseeable" note is. Also, I can read the automatic osu! stacking pretty well too.

So for HardRock, basically it's just reaction time, as it is the same with AR 10.3 for me as well if I ever do play those types of maps. For stacks, I have no real way of doing this, but being able to read the automatic osu! stacking and being able to read weird back and forth patterns without the approach circles might help. Only I see of doing this practicing hd+hr or just hd on maps that have these weird patterns, which I don't have any in mind right now.

Edit: if I recall correctly this map might have some hard stacks to read on hidden (but they aren't like direct stacks, I mean like stacks that are under sliders and such). http://osu.ppy.sh/s/52547# but when I say I'm decent at reading hidden, I mean like I can sight read this on hidden on the first try and get like 95% accuracy still.

though I'm not at home right now so I can't really actually play the map and test whether this was the right map i was thinking about.
TakuMii
Use a more transparent hitcircle graphic, and focus on the numbers how/when they disappear for the stacks. Circles under sliders are more difficult to detect without memorization, but they're still visible so I'm assuming that by paying attention and getting used to watching for them, you'll be able to hit them instinctively.
HardRock is just reaction time. Unless you build up superfast reflexes, the only way to play with HR is memorization.
buny
you can tell stacks by stack leniency
Michi
fuck you lewa
Jenny
either more transparent circles with maybe some eyecatching thing in their center (whatever, like you get three circles and each of them has a star on it, so you recognize the number of clicks by the number of stars that shine through) or thicker ones and go with leniency/stacking offset - depends on skin and mood to me
Shiro
It's really all about reaction to me. (then again I suck)

With maps nowadays that are focused on overdone jumps and annoying overlaps, you have to memorize them anyway.
BeatofIke

Shiro wrote:

It's really all about reaction to me. (then again I suck)

With maps nowadays that are focused on overdone jumps and annoying overlaps, you have to memorize them anyway.
Pretty much this more or less. Also more AR9 on slow BPM (120-180) insane maps (which I do not understand)!
Aqo

buny wrote:

not all maps have this, and generally the problem is with those that don't
go play basara with HD and see how that goes for you.

Hidden is a stack memorization mode. It's impossible to sightread certain types of stacking on it perfectly and it will always boil down to memorization for players who are aiming for SS and are not satisfied with hitting circles at the last moment by reaction and hoping you're lucky. Completely invisible skins can make it easier to read but still not fix the issue.

You will never be able to first-play-for-SS with HD on maps with under-slider or leniency-less stacking. It's impossible.

If you want sightreadable HD stacks, help push darkmiz's suggestion forward t/116420.
and fight against the ranking of unreadable leniencyless patterns such as those used in the recent Kakuzetsu Skystar map.

And why is the topic title HD+HR. HD is easier the higher the AR is, since there's less stacking. Try playing EZ+HD now that's a real challenge.
theowest
I'd like to know what Shilkey has to say about this. What is his words of wisdom.
Aqo
Last thing I saw Shilkey say on the matter, in a multiplayer room, is:

"hate hidden"
Jordan

theowest wrote:

I'd like to know what Shilkey has to say about this. What is his words of wisdom.
AR10 feels slow for him, and so does for me... And I'm not even light years close to Shilkey's level

I guess you need to play approach rates HIGHER than 10 to be able to play ar10 without any reading problem. Try playing ar9+dt on insanes or ar7/8+dt+hr on hard difficulties unless you're cookiezi or shilkey
Topic Starter
thelewa
but shilkey was banned for hacking on that other account
Jordan

thelewa wrote:

but shilkey was banned for hacking on that other account
He wasn't banned for hacking, his other account's scores are still there. https://osu.ppy.sh/b/76414&m=0 He was banned for bug abusing
Miracle Lotus
ragelewa, please.
You're the hdhr master, you'd know best.
buny

Aqo wrote:

buny wrote:

not all maps have this, and generally the problem is with those that don't
go play basara with HD and see how that goes for you.

Hidden is a stack memorization mode. It's impossible to sightread certain types of stacking on it perfectly and it will always boil down to memorization for players who are aiming for SS and are not satisfied with hitting circles at the last moment by reaction and hoping you're lucky. Completely invisible skins can make it easier to read but still not fix the issue.

You will never be able to first-play-for-SS with HD on maps with under-slider or leniency-less stacking. It's impossible.

If you want sightreadable HD stacks, help push darkmiz's suggestion forward http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/116420.
and fight against the ranking of unreadable leniencyless patterns such as those used in the recent Kakuzetsu Skystar map.

And why is the topic title HD+HR. HD is easier the higher the AR is, since there's less stacking. Try playing EZ+HD now that's a real challenge.
with hd it should be played by flow, the patterns in basara are predictable if you have flow.
Aqo
predict is not read
basara has no flow
buny
having a good flow makes it easier for the map to be readable since you'll have a good indication of where the next beat is.
show more