forum

Multiplayer "free play"

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +8,260
Topic Starter
Subsidium
At the moment I currently have no better term for this concept other than "free play" so I'm of course open to recommendations.
Basically what I would like to see is a multiplayer option for the room host to be able to allow all guests to choose their own difficulty of the same song.

-Scoreboards and results could remain the same (results screen), although it should say above either the score or the players name, what difficulty they were playing.
-Allows people from different ability levels to still play together.
-Same song length allows all players to still finish together.

Any further ideas or comments are very welcome.
TheVileOne
This is a good idea. Support.
Topic Starter
Subsidium
Thanks for your support, glad I'm not the only one who likes this idea.
LaCreme
-Don't need to keep track of score in the match between players, can still matter outside of the lobby though.

would have made more sense if you left this out
Topic Starter
Subsidium

LaCreme wrote:

-Don't need to keep track of score in the match between players, can still matter outside of the lobby though.

would have made more sense if you left this out
Hmm... I suppose that is true.. I'll edit it a little.
LaCreme
this may allow room for strategic difficulty picks among casual players who cannot fc insane difficulties right off the bat
Topic Starter
Subsidium
Strategic in what sense? Like exploitation?
Sorry just wasn't sure what you meant.
MillhioreF
DDR allows you to do this, too (of course, it has a fixed max score, just like mania). Sounds pretty neato - not really necessary, but it would be nice when playing a skill level gap in the room!
Topic Starter
Subsidium
I haven't really had a chance to play DDR, what purpose does the mas score serve?
I wouldn't say necessary no, but for a "community" type game like this, but I think it's important for anyone to be able to play.
LaCreme

MagicalReing7913 wrote:

Strategic in what sense? Like exploitation?
Sorry just wasn't sure what you meant.
Because fcing a normal difficulty with 500 hits is higher than just passing insane with 700 hits without long combo streaks in terms of scoring
Topic Starter
Subsidium

LaCreme wrote:

Because fcing a normal difficulty with 500 hits is higher than just passing insane with 700 hits without long combo streaks in terms of scoring
Hmmm... I think this comes into play with what I was trying to say before I changed the wording of the original post...
Basically I'm thinking this:
Does the scoring of the two difficulties really matter if your difficulty level is all that affects you?
I guess what I'm trying to say is that the game scoring would behave almost identical to how it does in solo, except you aren't playing solo. So the difference between difficulties in the room doesn't change how each players ranking change is affected..
Does that make sense? ...
theramdans
this will be great
It will prevent the gap skills between players :D

Support :)
Topic Starter
Subsidium
Yeah exactly!
Thanks for your support.
Tshemmp
Great idea, I could finally play with some noob friends without getting bored.
VoidnOwO
:oops:
Deni
Really good idea!

+ 1 Star from me :)
bomber34
love this idea
But what about maps where for example the Easy is shorter than the rest of the diffs?
Or just as example Matryoshka. The Insane is way longer than the rest?
Oinari-sama
Support!

Related thread https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/109905
theowest
This wouldn't work at all for difficulties that differ in length.
Maybe let the host pick his difficulty, and it wouldn't be possible for the others to pick a longer/shorter difficulty than his.
TheVileOne
My thoughts is if the song is shorter, then when your song ends, you go the spectator lobby for the room and then can spectate other players.
show more