forum

Tablet Tips?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
waluigino1
So I just got my new drawing tablet today. Any tips for osu!? I'm doing all right, but anything else that can help me to get better using this play style?
Aqo
Hover.

Full area.

That's it.

Just play more.
muffinheart
I just got one today as well and I'm having loads of fun with it. The only tip I can give you is to practice with it. Playing with the tablet kind of requires you to re-learn how to play the game. When I was using the mouse I could move the cursor with the smallest nudge. With a tablet I actually have to move my arm and wrist and that takes a lot of getting used to.

If you're like me and have never used a tablet before today I recommend actually getting used to using it for its original purpose before giving it a go in Osu. I spent 45 mins after I got it just tracing pictures in Photoshop. Makes getting used to actually using the thing a lot easier.
druidxd
Full Area and Hovering are a must. You need to get used to hover, it feels unnatural at first but then it's just, well, natural.

Then deciding whether you will go fullscreen or windowed (full screen and full area requires more hand movement, while windowed and full area kinda reduces the area of the table that you use, so you move your hand much less). I used to play windowed, then went fullscreen, you will have much more aim once you get used to it, but some people can't stand moving their hands/wrists too much, it's really personal preference.

Another tip is to activate the "Force Proportions" option in the bamboo preference menu. It compensate the Aspect Ratio of your screen (16:9 / 16:10 ) so that the two axis move the same (The two tablets that I've got seem to have a 16:10 Aspect Ratio on their working area, so if you have a 16:9 monitor, because it has another aspect ratio, this option "cuts" some of the working area of the tablet to compesate for this).

And play a lot, as Aqo said.
buny
Full area and hover is not a must.

Disable mouse buttons
Play with an area that feels comfortable for you
Antero
I got a tablet as well. Using full area and i hover the pen but i rest it on my middle finger, so the middle finger still touches the tablet? Is this a viable grip? Does the feeling become smoother and faster to the touch of the finger as the tablet is more worn out?
Aqo

Antero wrote:

I got a tablet as well. Using full area and i hover the pen but i rest it on my middle finger, so the middle finger still touches the tablet
this is normal
buny

Antero wrote:

I got a tablet as well. Using full area and i hover the pen but i rest it on my middle finger, so the middle finger still touches the tablet? Is this a viable grip? Does the feeling become smoother and faster to the touch of the finger as the tablet is more worn out?
It's preference, please use some common sense.

Yes the tablet does become more smoother
Blaziken
I understand loads of the pro's use full area. But you do not have to... I learned to use my tablet by using a small area and slowly making it bigger...
Helps ^w^
muffinheart
So when you guys say to use hover, I take it you mean moving the pen across the surface without touching it, right? That's the way I've been playing. My only question is, do you actually hit/drag notes with the pen or use the keyboard?
Topic Starter
waluigino1
With me I hover, then tap the tablet to hit the notes (A la EBA/Ouendan). I'm getting more used to a tablet, It hurts more than a mouse though :P
Thatgooey
I gradually stopped completely hovering my pen for whatever reason, and I let it touch half the time for control when I feel I need it. I don't know if anyone else plays this way, but it helps me. My wrist will never be 100%, so maybe it is just a handicap I carry.

Most people have said to use full area, and I agree. The tablet area will always be the same no matter what if you do it this way. It is the most precise and responsive setting your tablet can use. It would be like watching a youtube video in 360p instead of 1080p just because it loads faster and you can play it right away. But if you give the 1080p option some time to buffer, the playback quality will be much higher. Think of your tablet area this way. It will feel like you are throwing your arm across the desk to do jumps, but you will start to get control of it if you play on it enough.

There is a thread in this section of the forums somewhere that has pictures of how people hold the pen, which I am sure you are wondering about. Look at the different styles there, and see what is most comfortable for you, and offers you the best chance to succeed.

In the end, what is best is that you find a setup that you personally find optimal for yourself. Use your own knowledge of yourself and determine what would physically work best for you. Cheers!
buny
I full hover and keyboard.

some players do tap with their tablet and use X key on their keyboard to play
enik

Thatgooey wrote:

I gradually stopped completely hovering my pen for whatever reason, and I let it touch half the time for control when I feel I need it. I don't know if anyone else plays this way, but it helps me.
Like this too, it gives you greater control on jumps and you always can feel how far your pen from the tablet surface so you won't fail hovering it too far.

About full area, I use it for like 5k pc with 1024x768 resolution and still can't manage diagonal jumps from corner to corner like airman or story of my wife (but can do pretty easy with 600 dpi mouse). I know lot of pros like cookiezi use it and don't have this kinda problems.. well maybe I move my wrist wrong.
Makar
I use small area and never hover (used to hover but got lazy). It's not a must to hover.
Pizzicato
fullscreen full area hover for pure manliness
Synchrostar
I use small area, but mainly because im too lazy to move my whole hand while playing and i like to hurt my wrist a bit
winber1
middle area master race

...how many times have i said this already?
Kanye West

winber1 wrote:

middle area master race

...how many times have i said this already?
only once

say moar pls
druidxd

Pizzicato wrote:

fullscreen full area hover for pure manliness

Pizzicato wrote:

pure

Pizzicato wrote:

manliness
I agree.
show more