forum

Custom Taiko Skinning For Beatmaps

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +14
Topic Starter
roleykatsu
I tried searching something within the Feature Requests sub-forum, but I didn't find anything, so I apologize if this does actually happen to be a duplicate-like post.

As far as I know, to this point, taiko-mode specific skin elements can only be skinned for actual skin sets, unlike standard skin elements, which can be customized for individual beatmaps.

In other words, to this date, any skin element under the name "taiko-<element>.png" cannot be customized for an individual beatmap. This is somewhat troublesome and disappointing, especially if you're using a song that has the potential to have its own custom taiko skin.

My request is to make the taiko-mode specific skin elements skinnable for individual beatmaps. I mean sure, you can just create a separate skin and force the player to use that specific skin, but that requires an external download which is utmost unnecessary, in my perspective.

The taiko skin elements I wish to be included for customization are all of them, if possible.

Again, I'm sorry if someone did request this feature before, but I just find it silly how osu!-Standard and Catch The Beat elements can be fully customized (as far as I know), but taiko-mode is forced to use whatever is available is in current skin set applied to the game universally.

Thanks for reading! :)

Edit: I also noticed that custom score-bar skin elements are not applied on taiko-mode too... So yea, It'd be nice to see if the custom score-bar skin elements were to be applied on taiko-mode too.
MMzz
^
RandomJibberish
supportsupportsupport

My troll taiko scrollbar for Grace Kelly can't be seen in game at the moment :(
EBAWER123
How about no, it already pains my eyes to play some skins on osu!, and now you want to uglify taiko as well? No thank you, please spare my poor eyes, they had enough of playing pink music on a pink background with pink approach circles.
OzzyOzrock

EBAWER123 wrote:

How about no, it already pains my eyes to play some skins on osu!, and now you want to uglify taiko as well? No thank you, please spare my poor eyes, they had enough of playing pink music on a pink background with pink approach circles.
obviously you've had some bad experiences if you think that any change with 'uglify' it.

Full support for this. Though... eh, nevermind, gogogo.
Topic Starter
roleykatsu

EBAWER123 wrote:

and now you want to uglify taiko as well?
Looking at the custom skin elements for individual beatmaps in other modes, most of them are not ugly at all. The only people who will be making these custom skin elements will most likely be those who know how to design something which isn't absolute crap. And until osz2 is implemented, you can still delete any custom skin elements you don't like in the maps, so fair's fair.

EBAWER123 wrote:

they had enough of playing pink music on a pink background with pink approach circles.
What the hell kind of maps have you been playing?
LuigiHann
You sure those files aren't song-skinnable? I was under the impression that they would be. The plan was that they would be, anyway
RandomJibberish
They aren't, but there's no reason they shouldn't be.

Also the I don't want my beautiful taiko ruined argument kinda doesn't work, since exactly the same issue exists in standard play. Mappers shouldn't be limited in Taiko skinning just because some mappers are awful at skinning. Even bad skins should still be at least reasonably playable, and I'm sure guidelines regarding hitbursts and circles can be enforced if necessary.
Sander-Don
youstupidfish
Topic Starter
roleykatsu

LuigiHann wrote:

You sure those files aren't song-skinnable? I was under the impression that they would be. The plan was that they would be, anyway
I was under the impression that they would be too, but after testing it out on osu!'s latest build, no luck; so this is definitely a missing feature.

Lack of song-skinnable taiko elements makes me a sad panda.
theMikeAG

Roley wrote:

LuigiHann wrote:

I was under the impression that they would be too, but after testing it out on osu!'s latest build, no luck; so this is definitely a missing feature.

Lack of song-skinnable taiko elements makes me a sad panda.
...I'm not sure about this... Are you sure that taiko elements aren't skinable per beatmap? I was under the impression that Osu's use taiko skin option overrides custom elements...
Never mind. Osu just hates Taiko for some reason.
Mashley
Support, but no one has stars so we can't vote :<
Topic Starter
roleykatsu

Mashley wrote:

Support, but no one has stars so we can't vote :<
I don't believe in the star priority voting system; not for Feature Requests.

Polls > Flinging stars at requests that will be possibly fulfilled ~∞ years from now.
Dragvon
I support this, but i also wanna recall an old feature request where each player could set a specific skin to play in each mode.
That way we can always use a taiko skin without the need to change and uncheck the original skin always :3
Topic Starter
roleykatsu

Dragvon wrote:

I support this, but i also wanna recall an old feature request where each player could set a specific skin to play in each mode.
That way we can always use a taiko skin without the need to change and uncheck the original skin always :3
Definitely would support that. (But that's a different request from this thread, but still; would support it easily. )
Azure_Kite
This is old but I was searching around and found this so heh.

All in all, I want this feature.
mintong89
Bump for this. The Taiko need to be "decorate" too.
mintong89
bump again ._.
Bara-
Isn't this already the case?
Or at least the pippidon (https://osu.ppy.sh/s/35211)
mintong89

baraatje123 wrote:

Isn't this already the case?
Or at least the pippidon (https://osu.ppy.sh/s/35211)
t/226349 you can read this for more information.
Bara-
Bump
Give us the custom samples
Pappy
Oh yeah, supporting it!
But I don't have any stars supporter ;-;
PatZar
for me, its an unnecessary things imo
Bara-
Yes
The hitsounds got added :-)