forum

Export replays as video files

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +230
Topic Starter
mulraf
Hello

As you can see the number of osu! videos really isn't that low. How much of these videos are actually replays? My expectation is: at least 90%.
So according to my expectations there should be at least 2.300.000 videos on youtube of osu! replays.

And as you can see in this current poll by nyquill 23% "stumbled upon a YouTube video of the game" and got into it like this.

Many known games support a feature that allows the players to export parts of their gaming as videos. I don't know if this would be possible for osu! but if it is, i would definitely love to see such a feature in-game.

One of the problematic things about uploading your replays to the internet is that you need some programm that will capture the replay for you and you will need a program to cut or at least encode your video so that the file size and format are decent.
I actually edit myself and also had some experience with recording. Yet i still had some failures when trying to record an osu! replay. (Dxtory didn't record my audio e.g.).

So my suggestion is: implement a feature that will output the replay as a .mp4 (or another decent video format) instead of a .osr if chosen by the player. It should be in a good format so that it can be uploaded to youtube or other video platforms directly AND so that it can be imported into most known video editing softwares. Again: mp4 is a good format for that matter. other options include .wmv or .avi even though that one isn't supported by some softwares iirc.

After a little research i actually found this thread: t/108092.
It offers a page that will do something similar. Use your .osr file and get the video on your youtube channel.
Still there are some downsides to it which make me believe that this would still be a feature request which should be implemented:

1.) It isn't official.
Official means trustworthyness and a wider range so that everyone who plays osu knows that it is an option to easily do this without surfing through the internet to find other solutions like this.

2.) Uploads to youtube
Some people want to edit their files before uploading them. Some people might want to use another website than youtube. Some people might not have a channel on their own and just want to send their videos to friends who upload it on their channels or something along those lines.

3.) Long duration
I didn't use it yet. Yet it says "only 1 person at a time" and it's supposed to take about 10 minutes or so to let the server record your replay.

I don't know how the quality output at that site is, however: i hope people will understand why i think an official solution would be better.
Bara-
That site is really good though

Also, this'll be nigh impossible, due to the way replays work. .osr files are not ideo files, they are commandlines, like .osu or .osb files. It says when the player is at what moment and if he clicks or not. If it needs to export as a video, the space required will skyrocket, as a replay is approx only 10-30Kb large
Topic Starter
mulraf

Baraatje123 wrote:

That site is really good though
I didn't mean to say that the site is bad. I definitely support that people themselves already try to help. I just think there's room to improve if done officialy.

Baraatje123 wrote:

Also, this'll be nigh impossible, due to the way replays work. .osr files are not ideo files, they are commandlines, like .osu or .osb files. It says when the player is at what moment and if he clicks or not. If it needs to export as a video, the space required will skyrocket, as a replay is approx only 10-30Kb large
I'm far from being an expert on this topic. I don't know anything about programming. The only thought that led me to believe this is possible is that other games are doing it as well and that some "amateur" (again, sorry, i don't mean to offend the creator of the site) already made it possible.
I know that the file size of a video is much higher than that, yet it shouldn't be a feature that does it automatic but rather only if the players clicks on some button and well.. than it's on his pc. I guess the file size only affects the players own space and not the osu!server's.
Bara-
Topic Starter
mulraf

Baraatje123 wrote:

And forgot about this
t/299487?hilit=video+replay+save
ah. damn. and i thought i looked hard enough for other suggestions like this :x
well, sorry then. my fault. seems like it really is to hard to implement something like this :/
dashbug
Bump?
lewski
no please don't
abraker

lewski wrote:

no please don't
???
makemecool123
:thinking: Osu! rendering the replay into a video through osu!