forum

KyoAni set fire by arsonist, 33 confirmed casualties

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
polka
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-49027178

this is absolutely insane. i had no idea this studio was behind koe no katachi and violet evergarden.
there's tons of gofundmes floating around, but its hard to tell whats legitimate, so everyone has been notifying fans to just buy digital prints from KyoAni's store.

which animes of KyoAni have you seen/do you recommend to people attempting to pay homage and celebrate the company's history?
as stated above, i think koe no katachi is one of the best things i've ever seen.
Belothra
Truly a studio I adore. Shows like Hyouka, Violet Evergarden and more are some of the most important anime's I have watched, multiple times I might add. Truly heart breaking. It doesn't matter if they were someone a big as a director or key animator, or someone who was just doing inbetweens of that worked behind the scenes, they helped make something beautiful. Best wishes to the studio and family members of those who are lost.
Topic Starter
polka

Belothra wrote:

It doesn't matter if they were someone a big as a director or key animator, or someone who was just doing inbetweens of that worked behind the scenes, they helped make something beautiful. Best wishes to the studio and family members of those who are lost.

i've seen people on twitter saying things like "thank god it wasnt the directors" and it makes me kinda bitter. you said it very well: everyone's lives at that studio regardless of their position or duties mattered equally.
Belothra

Veridian wrote:

Belothra wrote:

It doesn't matter if they were someone a big as a director or key animator, or someone who was just doing inbetweens of that worked behind the scenes, they helped make something beautiful. Best wishes to the studio and family members of those who are lost.

i've seen people on twitter saying things like "thank god it wasnt the directors" and it makes me kinda bitter. you said it very well: everyone's lives at that studio regardless of their position or duties mattered equally.

I won't lie, I initially thought the same (or similar) thing and then felt sour about it moments later and spent the whole day thinking to my self, "Did you really just think that."
abraker
this is really sad
samX500
Honestly I think that every single show from Kyoto Animation that I have seen were amazing in some way, mainly because unlike most other anime, KyoAni's show all have a message as well as truly human character that helps deliver it. Out of the 8 anime that I consider to be among my favorite, 5 of them are from KyoAni, and the shows that fall short of that list aren't very far behind. KyoAni are so great, not because they make good show, but because the show they make all have life lesson to help us grow as person if we are attentive to the story and that is why so many myself included feel so emotionally attached to these show.
Nathanael
The company has made an official statement about their tragedy, seen from the link below.
7月18日に発生した事件について

A reddit user (@Frocharocha) has translated it to English.

Condolences to the families of the deceased people.

Veridian wrote:

there's tons of gofundmes floating around, but its hard to tell whats legitimate, so everyone has been notifying fans to just buy digital prints from KyoAni's store.

The one created by Sentai Filmworks is legitimate, it's also in their site.
https://www.sentaifilmworks.com/
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-kyoani-heal

samX500 wrote:

Honestly I think that every single show from Kyoto Animation that I have seen were amazing in some way, mainly because unlike most other anime, KyoAni's show all have a message as well as truly human character that helps deliver it. Out of the 8 anime that I consider to be among my favorite, 5 of them are from KyoAni, and the shows that fall short of that list aren't very far behind. KyoAni are so great, not because they make good show, but because the show they make all have life lesson to help us grow as person if we are attentive to the story and that is why so many myself included feel so emotionally attached to these show.

Yes, KyoaAni is more focused on life lessons instead of fan services, which made them a very notable animation studio.
Topic Starter
polka

Nathanael wrote:

Yes, KyoaAni is more focused on life lessons instead of fan services, which made them a very notable animation studio.

i also think its worth mentioning this studio was well known to hire minorities. it honestly makes me ill thinking about such a progressive studio being the target of an attack to this scale. it will make it much harder to pave a path for the future they rightfully should be able to pave.