forum

[resolved] [duplicate] [invalid] Please remove the performance point ranking system.

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +10
Topic Starter
Lazy Cat Soup
Hello Osu! Community,

I believe the performance point (PP) ranking system should be removed for the following reasons:

1. The PP ranking system acts as a p2w (Play to Win) perspective. I'm sure that most of you have already known by now. A rhythm game is meant to be played for fun, not just by comparing your rank to other players.
  2. Because of this, there will most likely be toxicity and drama that comes around.
  3. It's another reason why some people quit this game after years and years of playing.
  4. About 80% of this community are seriously engaged in pp that restricts them from playing any other kinds of maps, while many others are only focusing on ranks instead of enjoying the map with others.
  5. With the PP system removed, this gives a chance for newer players to join the osu community. It makes everyone feel motivated in playing maps that are beyond their limits. People are more likely to play maps that are longer than maps that are only a minute and thirty seconds long.
  6. While it creates this diverse selection of maps, everyone in multiplayer lobby will be more filling and so will the whole community. This gives a chance for players to meet and easily make friends with a vast majority of random players.
  7. No one will have to pissed off about one song that frustrates them. Instead, it creates a different mindset that makes the game feel more lighthearted. It's not always about full combo regardless of accuracy.
  8. I do like how the "Loved" category was invented for players to directly compete one another without having to worry about pp, but the "Ranked & Approved" category made everyone take pp too seriously.
  9. PP system does act as part of player's skill, but it doesn't accurately represent the whole player itself.
However, everyone has different opinions and arguments. By all means, feel free to share any ideas or comments while they are all open for discussion.
samijnski
If you don't care about rank you can just play offline or ignore your pp.
Removing the pp system will make more people leave then it will make people stay imo.
Death
A lot of your points seem to rely on the fact that pp is some inherently anti-fun system that causes players to become mindless rank farmers that can't do anything else except farm performance points. I don't think that is correct in the slightest amount and I think if we assume that isn't the case, many of your arguments aren't really that valid.

Lazy Cat Soup wrote:

1. The PP ranking system acts as a p2w (Play to Win) perspective. I'm sure that most of you have already known by now. A rhythm game is meant to be played for fun, not just by comparing your rank to other players.
You are ignoring a large percentage of players who genuinely have fun by improving their rank by making this point. I'd actually wager that that would be a majority of people.

Lazy Cat Soup wrote:

1. Because of this, there will most likely be toxicity and drama that comes around.
There will be toxicity and drama with or without a ranking system, it's human nature.

People will still be compared to other players, and perhaps more importantly, there will still be user-created, unofficial ranking systems that people will flock to anyway. These already exist, even with the current official ranking system.

Lazy Cat Soup wrote:

1. It's another reason why some people quit this game after years and years of playing.
This is directly related to your first point, where you missed the fact that a large percentage of the playerbase enjoys playing for rank. Removing the ranking system would likely increase the number of people who quit playing faster.

Lazy Cat Soup wrote:

1. About 80% of this community are seriously engaged in pp that restricts them from playing any other kinds of maps, while many others are only focusing on ranks instead of enjoying the map with others.
You can absolutely still play other types of maps while your main focus is on improving your rank or increasing your performance points. There is nothing that "restricts" people from doing that by any means.

Lazy Cat Soup wrote:

1. With the PP system removed, this gives a chance for newer players to join the osu community. It makes everyone feel motivated in playing maps that are beyond their limits. People are more likely to play maps that are longer than maps that are only a minute and thirty seconds long.
This again relies completely on your previous point, in that you assumed everyone focused on playing for performance points can't play any other type of map. Maybe it will increase the average map length that people play, but I don't see how this is an issue right now. I also don't really know why you think a ranking system prevents people from joining the community, new players join the community every day.

Lazy Cat Soup wrote:

1. While it creates this diverse selection of maps, everyone in multiplayer lobby will be more filling and so will the whole community. This gives a chance for players to meet and easily make friends with a vast majority of random players.
Nearly the exact same as above two points combined.

Lazy Cat Soup wrote:

1. No one will have to pissed off about one song that frustrates them. Instead, it creates a different mindset that makes the game feel more lighthearted. It's not always about full combo regardless of accuracy.
Ranks are not the only source of frustration in this game.

Lazy Cat Soup wrote:

1. I do like how the "Loved" category was invented for players to directly compete one another without having to worry about pp, but the "Ranked & Approved" category made everyone take pp too seriously.
The first part of this doesn't really add to your argument and I don't get the point of the second part of this sentence at all.

Lazy Cat Soup wrote:

1. PP system does act as part of player's skill, but it doesn't accurately represent the whole player itself.
The current performance point system is not perfect, but it's pretty good at relatively ranking players. It will never be perfect, but that doesn't justify removing it entirely.
Stefan
  1. What
  2. Excuse me, what
  3. A few other people argue that without a measurement like pp and ranking people would quit. So both sides are right and wrong.
  4. And what exactly is bad in getting higher in the ranking?
  5. How's that?
  6. ???
  7. Excuse me but what
  8. That might be true, because pp is built on a competitive basis. And it's natural things are rougher in that section and people try working harder in the leaderboards.
  9. Nothing new but come with a better solution/calculation/algorithm.

didn't bother to quote stuff because it's so long.
Flanster

Stefan wrote:

ftfy
roufou
While I genuinely believe the pp system has a somewhat unhealthy effect on the game in multiple ways, I don't think it'd be a good idea to remove it after all this time.
Daylight--
[deleted]
Anemic Witch
TL;DR: "I don't like something remove it please"
Ideal
i can't tell if this is a bait thread or not

if it's not, then wtf are you on and where can i get some

if it is, then gj you managed to bait people hard
dennischan
Hello pLeazE reMoVe the PP (pePpy poInts) system becauSe It iS nO fUn.
ThAnk YOu

I mean what?

On a serious note I think that this is quite a stupid request because clearly most of the community enjoys playing for pp, so who are you to judge them for that? In addition, Death has clearly pointed out that even if the official pp system were removed, there would just be other non-official pp systems that would replace it, which means that removing the official pp system would achieve nothing.
honne
I don't even notice the pp system and play for leaderboards and enjoy playing. I don't get who your opinion is voicing for here. The game is generally what you make of it.
ashhhgaming
I am actually very against this.

'With the PP system removed, this gives a chance for newer players to join the osu community. It makes everyone feel motivated in playing maps that are beyond their limits. People are more likely to play maps that are longer than maps that are only a minute and thirty seconds long.'

When I started playing osu, mainly osu!Mania, I loved playing the game and the ranking system was an added bonus. To see yourself improve, not only in the * you can play but also in your rank feels extra rewarding to me.
NimbleBiter

samijnski wrote:

If you don't care about rank you can just play offline or ignore your pp.
Removing the pp system will make more people leave then it will make people stay imo.

This is a really good point and also in the future, everything will change hopefully including pp. I love the pp system rn because it makes you want to improve. and everyone loves some competition.

I don't understand how removing it is a good idea..
Thebestllama
Just wondering if the PP system was removed, how would there be any competition or leaderboards? If you dont like pp then just ignore it. I myself like the pp system because it motivates me to improve so my rank goes up.
Rikii
Do you know why multiplayer games so popular in this decade?

Yeah, they are competitive. So does pp and rank system on osu!.
abraker
This thread is still here?

duplicate: https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/530069
Flanster
They wanted discussion, they got discussion. Commence pushing of buttons.
YoshiChen
You can just be an offline player then. This thread is more like a personal vendetta against the pp system rather than actually trying to help the community. I don't mean to be rude but this is just my opinion, you don't have to agree with me.
Vlek
Removing PP will remove alot of players

Competition is what makes this game to what it is
i agree, it is bad that most maps that are played are 1:30, which is quite bad

but i'd rather have alot of players that play those than almost no players that play all map lengths

also, longer maps provide more pp in the formula, so that should quite stimulate the community to play longer maps