[Guide] Fixing Mac issues

posted
Total Posts
show more
Death

Lv99Pikachu wrote:

Whenever I play this beatmap: https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/219380/#osu/724015
my game crashes.

After I played any other map, throughout the song everything was just fine until the very end as I was getting my score, the game crashes.

When I say "the game crashes" I mean the application doesn't close. It's just frozen for eternity, so I have to Force Quit OSU.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is there any fix for this?
Try deleting and redownloading the map.
Lv99Pikachu

Death wrote:

Lv99Pikachu wrote:

Whenever I play this beatmap: https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/219380/#osu/724015
my game crashes.

After I played any other map, throughout the song everything was just fine until the very end as I was getting my score, the game crashes.

When I say "the game crashes" I mean the application doesn't close. It's just frozen for eternity, so I have to Force Quit OSU.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is there any fix for this?
Try deleting and redownloading the map.

It didn't help. It's happening whenever I play any beatmap.

EDITED: Nvm.. I found out that the skin I was using was crashing my game. (I was using BeastTrollMC's skin)
Sejimiyu
I have an extremely hard time reading English so I prefer to play games either in Korean or Japanese. When I try to change my language to.. one of them, it appears as boxes. I'm using macOS.

I've tried to search for a solution but none has helped, can anyone help me on here?
CynTezu225
This was really helpful!! Ever since my computer updated itself to MacOS Mojave, I couldn't open osu at all... I just backed up the osu folder, installed the google drive folder, and restored the osu folder and it worked for me :) the only problem is the input lag now... but I'm just glad I got it to open right now.... phew! I thought I could never play again LOL
KrazyKang
When doing a data backup it says delete all .dll files, (sounds dumb but) does this mean ALL .dll files(including the ones in the 'windows' folder or the just the ones in c_drive>osu?
Topic Starter
Technocoder

KrazyKang wrote:

When doing a data backup it says delete all .dll files, (sounds dumb but) does this mean ALL .dll files(including the ones in the 'windows' folder or the just the ones in c_drive>osu?

Only the ones the osu folder
KrazyKang
Well I finally got osu! to work on Mojave(thank you); though a little choppy; but I haven't restored my backup, because it is from a stable(fallback) version and didn't work beforehand. Do you know if I can just replace the songs file with the one in my backup folder and it'll have them? it is the only concern. Otherwise I can just download them again over time.
LimbowZz

Help! Is there an auto updater?
Topic Starter
Technocoder

KrazyKang wrote:

Well I finally got osu! to work on Mojave(thank you); though a little choppy; but I haven't restored my backup, because it is from a stable(fallback) version and didn't work beforehand. Do you know if I can just replace the songs file with the one in my backup folder and it'll have them? it is the only concern. Otherwise I can just download them again over time.

The songs folder of all things should be fine to transfer over.

LimbowGraphicZz wrote:

I'm not aware of an auto updater so I've added a section in my guide about updating osu! manually. Theoretically, osu! should update itself after it's been updated manually.
DJ_Setty

Technocoder wrote:

KrazyKang wrote:

LimbowGraphicZz wrote:

I'm not aware of an auto updater so I've added a section in my guide about updating osu! manually. Theoretically, osu! should update itself after it's been updated manually.

I am still confused about how to update osu!, the update section of the thread is too confusing for me to understand
Topic Starter
Technocoder
DJ_Setty

DJ_Setty wrote:

Technocoder wrote:

KrazyKang wrote:

LimbowGraphicZz wrote:

I am still confused about how to update osu!, the update section of the thread is too confusing for me to understand

Can you elaborate on which part is confusing? The location of the osu! folder is specified at the start of the guide in the Miscellaneous Information section.
DJ_Setty

Technocoder wrote:

DJ_Setty

DJ_Setty wrote:

Technocoder wrote:

KrazyKang wrote:

LimbowGraphicZz wrote:

Can you elaborate on which part is confusing? The location of the osu! folder is specified at the start of the guide in the Miscellaneous Information section.

I'm confused on what to download, I found the folder I need but I don't understand what I need to put into it.
Topic Starter
Technocoder

DJ_Setty wrote:

Technocoder wrote:

DJ_Setty

DJ_Setty wrote:

Technocoder wrote:

KrazyKang wrote:

LimbowGraphicZz wrote:

I'm confused on what to download, I found the folder I need but I don't understand what I need to put into it.

You need to download the latest osu!.exe from this website: https://osu.ppy.sh/home/download. Specifically, the button which says "Download osu! for Windows". You should get a osu!install.exe. Rename it to osu!.exe and then drag in into the folder.
DJ_Setty

Technocoder wrote:

DJ_Setty wrote:

Technocoder wrote:

DJ_Setty

DJ_Setty wrote:

Technocoder wrote:

KrazyKang wrote:

LimbowGraphicZz wrote:

You need to download the latest osu!.exe from this website: https://osu.ppy.sh/home/download. Specifically, the button which says "Download osu! for Windows". You should get a osu!install.exe. Rename it to osu!.exe and then drag in into the folder.

So when I did that I got this error message, I uninstalled and reinstalled the way I had done before and it seems to have fixed itself.

Also I just discovered this button in the settings.
WhiteFoxToast
I just got a new computer, and I'm currently trying to reinstall osu again, but whenever I click open it just never opens
Is there any way to fix this? OS is mojave
casavanna
I had the resolution set to 2560 x 1600 (native) so that the quality is clear and crisp. However, when using my tablet, the higher I set the resolution the less space I have to move my cursor around. It seems like once I set my resolution to 2560 x 1600, my cursor can only move within the top quarter of the screen (using the tablet). Any way to fix this?
Bedrock
Thanks for making this guide.

I was having an issue that no one else seemed to have where osu! would quit immediately and the logs would not open (or maybe they didn't exist). In addition, any Wineskin changes I made would reset the minute I left the menu. To solve this I had to remove the quarantine attribute (which prevented osu! from writing) from the osu! app with this command:

xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine /path/to/osu!.app

I hope that helps anyone having the issue I was having, because it took me over a year to figure it out.
Topic Starter
Technocoder
Thanks for that command. It seems a lot of people also can't get osu! to open and I suspect that they haven't managed to get rid of the quarantine attribute either.
DogePlayz_old
why do i have to restart my osu everytime i download a beatmap? do you have a fix for this?
Topic Starter
Technocoder

DogePlayz wrote:

why do i have to restart my osu everytime i download a beatmap? do you have a fix for this?

You... don't? Just drag the beatmap into the beatmaps folder and then press F5 when you're in game to load the new beatmaps?...
hidaer
Hi uh after about 4-5 minutes of running the game, my game crashes. Does anyone experience similar situations, and how do i fix this.

P.S. I used Beasttrollmc's skin btw
Annaya Love
I need help. look ! It's posting an error message " Error! cannot write to info.plist, there are permission problems, or you are on a read-only volume. This cannot run from within a read-only dmg file."

What do I do???
Smartify
Something to note when you download, make sure that your osu! application is not in your iCloud Drive. My desktop is linked with my iCloud and when I tried to open it, would not open. Make sure to keep the file somewhere actually on your computer.
Titpotter
I use a Mac, and whenever I type (Let's say I'm playing Mania right now), there are these letters appear which respond to what I type. This causes my mac to be laggy. Is there any way to disable them? Thank you.
Anc3lPlayz

Death wrote:

diddy_dante wrote:

It crashes When I turn on compatability mode and won't start up (had to reinstall). Is that a graphics problem or is there a fix to that?

don't have the logs anymore sorry
Probably some graphics issue.

If you accidentally turn it on in the future, right click on your osu! icon and hit "Show package contents" then go to "Contents > Resources > drive_c > osu!". Edit the file "osu!.pcname.cfg" in any text editor (TextEdit will do) and set the line CompatibilityContext equal to 0. Save the file and close the document and you should be able to start the game again.

I cant find that file.
Death

Anc3lPlayz wrote:

I cant find that file.
pcname will be replaced with whatever the name of the user account on your computer is. If you have run the game successfully in the past, and you didn't intentionally delete that file, it will be in there. Just look harder.
Kec

Titpotter wrote:

I use a Mac, and whenever I type (Let's say I'm playing Mania right now), there are these letters appear which respond to what I type. This causes my mac to be laggy. Is there any way to disable them? Thank you.

Use U.S. International-PC instead of using other input source
J4mnT1mE-iwnl-
I did almost everything in this post, all i get when i try to open osu is "The Program osu!.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." This error started when I tried to update osu earlier today.
SosPesos

J4mnT1mE-iwnl- wrote:

I did almost everything in this post, all i get when i try to open osu is "The Program osu!.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." This error started when I tried to update osu earlier today.

Also having this problem
hayleaf
No matter what I do, I cannot update the game and it continues to say that it's an older version and cannot submit scores. I finally S'd on a song I like and wanna flex smh
Topic Starter
Technocoder
hayleaf

hayleaf wrote:

No matter what I do, I cannot update the game and it continues to say that it's an older version and cannot submit scores. I finally S'd on a song I like and wanna flex smh

Have you tried the "Updating the osu! executable" section of the guide?
hayleaf

Technocoder wrote:

hayleaf

hayleaf wrote:

Have you tried the "Updating the osu! executable" section of the guide?

Does that mean I need to reinstall osu all the way?
Topic Starter
Technocoder
hayleaf

hayleaf wrote:

Please read it carefully. The only thing it asks you to do is to replace the osu!.exe file which will not change any of your user settings or songs.
hayleaf

Technocoder wrote:

hayleaf

hayleaf wrote:

Please read it carefully. The only thing it asks you to do is to replace the osu!.exe file which will not change any of your user settings or songs.

Did exactly what it stated in the instructions, yet I get this when I try to launch it
https://imgur.com/a/lDDi1QU
Topic Starter
Technocoder
hayleaf

hayleaf wrote:

Did exactly what it stated in the instructions, yet I get this when I try to launch it

What/which wrapper are you using? Most newer wrappers should already have the framework installed. Otherwise, you'll need to click on Wineskin > Advanced > Tools > Winetricks. Then search for dotnet40 (under dlls). Select it (in the Run column) and then press Run.
hayleaf

Technocoder wrote:

hayleaf

hayleaf wrote:

What/which wrapper are you using? Most newer wrappers should already have the framework installed. Otherwise, you'll need to click on Wineskin > Advanced > Tools > Winetricks. Then search for dotnet40 (under dlls). Select it (in the Run column) and then press Run.

I am on Wineskin 2.6.2 and engine WS9Wine2.22. I ran the command and it's telling me to place this file (gacutil-net40.tar.bz2) in the /.cache/dotnet40. The thing is, I am having much trouble finding said folder.

Update: found the file and placed the downloaded file into it, but it's still saying it in the notes after I ran it
Topic Starter
Technocoder
hayleaf

hayleaf wrote:

I am on Wineskin 2.6.2 and engine WS9Wine2.22. I ran the command and it's telling me to place this file (gacutil-net40.tar.bz2) in the /.cache/dotnet40. The thing is, I am having much trouble finding said folder.

That is a special winetricks folder. It's hidden so you'll need to open it with Terminal:
  1. Open Terminal
  2. Type cd ~/.cache/winetricks/dotnet40 and press enter
  3. Type open . (with the period) and press enter

The folder should show up and you should be able to drag the file in

hayleaf

hayleaf wrote:

Update: found the file and placed the downloaded file into it, but it's still saying it in the notes after I ran it

In that case then:
  1. Open Terminal
  2. Type cd ~
  3. Type mkdir .cache
  4. Type cd .cache
  5. Type mkdir dotnet40
  6. Type cd dotnet40
  7. Type open .

And drag the file inside there and see if it works now. Failing that, it could be that it actually wants you to put it in the system cache root (which is really unlikely but /shrug)

Instead of typing cd ~ for step two, type cd / and follow the rest of the steps.

If all else fails, try installing dotnet45 inside winetricks instead of dotnet40.
hayleaf

Technocoder wrote:

hayleaf

hayleaf wrote:

That is a special winetricks folder. It's hidden so you'll need to open it with Terminal:
  1. Open Terminal
  2. Type cd ~/.cache/winetricks/dotnet40 and press enter
  3. Type open . (with the period) and press enter

The folder should show up and you should be able to drag the file in

hayleaf

hayleaf wrote:

In that case then:
  1. Open Terminal
  2. Type cd ~
  3. Type mkdir .cache
  4. Type cd .cache
  5. Type mkdir dotnet40
  6. Type cd dotnet40
  7. Type open .

And drag the file inside there and see if it works now. Failing that, it could be that it actually wants you to put it in the system cache root (which is really unlikely but /shrug)

Instead of typing cd ~ for step two, type cd / and follow the rest of the steps.

If all else fails, try installing dotnet45 inside winetricks instead of dotnet40.

So I am convinced it'll be updated on my end. I have done virtually anything. I'm just glad I got the game working again. I am a little sad, but thank you for your help. I appreciate it greatly.
too
I sometimes use translations.
PC: MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)
macOS: Mojave version 10.14.5
My issue is PC freeze (The mouse cursor moves but nothing moves)
picture

This image is about 600MB of application notation. The phenomenon that the notation is incorrect because the content is about 15 GB

how to freeze
step
1. download osu! and open
2. quit osu!
3. move [song data, skin, osu!.(name).cfg and collection.db] from backup
4. open osu! and play =>quit osu! for end the play.
5. exit macintosh(system termination)
6. power on mac.
7. open osu! and freeze screen.

How to fix it now
step
1. backup [song data, skin, osu!.(name).cfg and collection.db]
2. move osu! to dust box.
3. redownload osu!
4. return to how to freeze step 1

I want fix this bug. but I dont know.
Thank you.
Topic Starter
Technocoder
too

too wrote:

I sometimes use translations.
PC: MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)
macOS: Mojave version 10.14.5
My issue is PC freeze (The mouse cursor moves but nothing moves)
I want fix this bug. but I dont know.
Thank you.

What wineskin or wineskin version are you using? Does the situation improve if you only move half the songs from your backup? How much disk space do you have left?

Does the problem still occur if you do not shut down the computer before reopening osu!?
Does the problem still occur if you quit osu! immediately after it opens?

Because the problem only occurs when osu! quits, I suspect the problem lies in how the data is being saved.
show more