forum

Need help creating skin. Move up hit area

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
iamnuby
Need help creating a skin with hit location moved up.

Basically since I've moved from o2jam to here recently and found my hit timings to be very early and I'm wondering how to set the rainbow 300 bar higher in the skin.

Offsets do not work since they move notes/music but not the hit area. And yes I've tried both local and global offsets.

Pictorial description:
This is the default skin
https://imgur.com/a/fuVttbv

What I want to do is place my "correct hits" over here and make the red line where rainbow 300s happen.
https://imgur.com/a/jyUbn19

What I am currently doing is some ridiculous nonsense like this which I do not want.

https://imgur.com/a/rMfgCjV

To put things into perspective, the very easy song of Enigma 2* on
Default skin: 62% accuracy
Nonsense skin: 93% accuracy

So I know it's not that I'm inaccurate but I'm hitting too early. So again, is there any way to shift the hit area up without resorting to deleting a third of my sceen?
QuQ

iamnuby wrote:

Basically since I've moved from o2jam to here recently and found my hit timings to be very early and I'm wondering how to set the rainbow 300 bar higher in the skin.

I've actually done both these things you're looking to do. First to move the hit location up, just change HitPosition in the skins config file. This can be found by pressing ctrl+o and locating the skins section, and opening the current skin. You may also want to make sure the judgementline is set to 1.

Now for the hits and combo to move to the side is a bit more work, you might be able to find a skin with that but what you'll need to do is edit the combo and hit files to have lots of extra space left of the number and use the ComboOverlap in the skin config file. Let me know if you need more detailed help.
h3oCharles
Have you tried looking at Important Guides and Threads? Look for that spreadsheet
Topic Starter
iamnuby

h3oCharles wrote:

Have you tried looking at Important Guides and Threads? Look for that spreadsheet

Yes and you can see I tried many things from that. I tried many offsets and skin ini settings. the guides didn't really help all that much unfortunately D:

[ Grey ] wrote:

iamnuby wrote:

I've actually done both these things you're looking to do. First to move the hit location up, just change HitPosition in the skins config file. This can be found by pressing ctrl+o and locating the skins section, and opening the current skin. You may also want to make sure the judgementline is set to 1.

Now for the hits and combo to move to the side is a bit more work, you might be able to find a skin with that but what you'll need to do is edit the combo and hit files to have lots of extra space left of the number and use the ComboOverlap in the skin config file. Let me know if you need more detailed help.

That doesn't work though, hit position doesn't actually change your hit position, it just moves it up and at the same time moving your entire notechart up.

Moving hit position is what my ridiculous screenshot does, look at it again. It makes me lose an entire area of my screen. What I want to do is move the hitposition up while keeping the UI the same.
QuQ

iamnuby wrote:

That doesn't work though, hit position doesn't actually change your hit position, it just moves it up and at the same time moving your entire notechart up.

Moving hit position is what my ridiculous screenshot does, look at it again. It makes me lose an entire area of my screen. What I want to do is move the hitposition up while keeping the UI the same.

The long way to fix this
Yes that is going to be a problem unless you edit the skin's files, that line moving up with the black area behind it is likely mania-stage-hint.png, you'll want to create new key files with that at the top of each key and save it.

It will look something like this:

This is somewhat a problem with the default skin, it's not what most people use and it certainly isn't easy to edit without some know how.

I've thought of a different suggestion that may get the results you are looking for without all the editing hassle. You want lines to continue below the hit position correct?

Would you prefer something that looked a bit more like this?

This can all be done with just one small part in the config file.

[Mania]
Keys: 7
ColumnLineWidth: 0,0,0,0,0,0,0
BarlineWidth: 0.0
BarlineHeight: 0
HitPosition: whatever number you want here
JudgementLine: 1
//Colours
ColourJudgementLine: 255,255,255
Colour1: 255,255,255,50
Colour2: 255,255,255,30
Colour3: 255,255,255,50
Colour4: 255,255,255,30
Colour5: 255,255,255,50
Colour6: 255,255,255,30
Colour7: 255,255,255,50
Topic Starter
iamnuby

[ Grey ] wrote:

iamnuby wrote:

The long way to fix this
Yes that is going to be a problem unless you edit the skin's files, that line moving up with the black area behind it is likely mania-stage-hint.png, you'll want to create new key files with that at the top of each key and save it.

It will look something like this:

This is somewhat a problem with the default skin, it's not what most people use and it certainly isn't easy to edit without some know how.

I've thought of a different suggestion that may get the results you are looking for without all the editing hassle. You want lines to continue below the hit position correct?

Would you prefer something that looked a bit more like this?

[Mania]
ColumnLineWidth: 0,0,0,0,0,0,0
BarlineWidth: 0.0
BarlineHeight: 0
JudgementLine: 1
//Colours
ColourJudgementLine: 255,255,255
Colour1: 255,255,255,50
Colour2: 255,255,255,30
Colour3: 255,255,255,50
Colour4: 255,255,255,30
Colour5: 255,255,255,50
Colour6: 255,255,255,30
Colour7: 255,255,255,50

No that is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Look at my screenshots in the original post for a better idea. What I want is basically the default skin look but the hit position at a higher position without having that bottom space become useless
QuQ

iamnuby wrote:

No that is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Look at my screenshots in the original post for a better idea. What I want is basically the default skin look but the hit position at a higher position without having that bottom space become useless

I'm at a loss for what you're trying to do here. What do you mean not making the bottom useless? That is exactly what moving the hit position up will do. This seems counter intuitive. I've looked at your picture, this is what you are asking for literally. Hit position up, without black area.
dtnc21

iamnuby wrote:

…, is there any way to shift the hit area up without resorting to deleting a third of my sceen?
...I think that's a case of having your cake and eating it too. The more you move the hit area upwards, the less screen height you'll be getting.

At least that's what I got with your description.
You're asking to move the judgement line (the target line; when the note is to be played, it crosses this line) so it's further upwards from the default location, correct? If that's not it, I'm not sure what you're asking for.
Topic Starter
iamnuby
Ok apparently screenshots weren't enough.

What I want, is for the notes to travel as far as possible across the screen.

How do I do this? By having it look like this
https://imgur.com/a/fuVttbv

What do I want?

I want my red line to register perfect hits/300s

What I do NOT WANT is to have this black area since it basically becomes a dead zone.
https://imgur.com/a/QwIH0uf

Basically I want to ONLY move the line that gives perfect hits and NOT the entire UI

Basically, if I move my ini setting hitposition, it makes it such that the rainbow 300s are at the "bar"
https://imgur.com/a/0PPtCeo

I do not want that. I want my bar to stay at the default position while registering my 300s at the red line above said bar.

Hopefully you guys can understand now?
Topic Starter
iamnuby
Still require halp if it's possible

Something is very very wrong

https://imgur.com/a/V18ZZw2
RockRoller

iamnuby wrote:

Still require halp if it's possible

Something is very very wrong

https://imgur.com/a/V18ZZw2

I don't see anything wrong on that screenshot. Please explain what your problem is
dtnc21

RockRoller wrote:

I don't see anything wrong on that screenshot. …
I, uh, don't think that's the right one.

To: RockRoller
Let me try explaining with a quickly edited screenshot of my own, since we're here anyway.

We know what the red line is, right? That's the judgement area for the default skin. A MAX judgement (Rainbow 300) is earned when you hit a note as it strikes the bar located there.

From the look of things, it seems like the user wants to move this area up to where the blue line is. Which is simple enough to do with a quick edit in the skin.ini, like this:

[ Grey ] wrote:

[Mania]

Problem with that is that it creates a deadzone between the new jugement line and the old one. That's what we get for moving it upwards.

But here's the thing: the user doesn't want that deadzone to be there.

That sounds counterintuitive, don't you think?

Yeah, I was really confused myself. The only idea I had is to make the notes faster since the user had a tendency to hit the notes early, and that has nothing to do with skinning.

Then I took another read at the user's response while I was making this very post. And then everything just... clicked.

iamnuby wrote:

Basically I want to ONLY move the line that gives perfect hits and NOT the entire UI

Basically, if I move my ini setting hitposition, it makes it such that the rainbow 300s are at the "bar" <- This is what [ Grey ] attempted.

https://imgur.com/a/0PPtCeo

I do not want that. I want my bar to stay at the default position while registering my 300s at the red line above said bar.

Moving the judgement area itself while leaving the hint bar there, huh? So something like this?

That seems to be the most accurate to what you're trying to get here.

Then again, there's that deadzone in between, so I might've been getting things all inverted and you actually mean this:

But then that means that you hit the notes later than when they hit the bar, so... maybe not.
Topic Starter
iamnuby
@RockRoller Read the first post?

@dtnc21 It's something similar to the 2nd one. Could you tell me how you did that? I'll go experiment with that and see how it works out.
justanewbie1

iamnuby wrote:

@RockRoller Read the first post?

@dtnc21 It's something similar to the 2nd one. Could you tell me how you did that? I'll go experiment with that and see how it works out.

do you have tried with HitPosition, LightPosition, ScorePosition, and ComboPosition in skin.ini?
here's an example of my skin.ini
dtnc21

iamnuby wrote:

The one where the notes cross the bar?

The way I did it is very rushed, only done in about five minutes. What I've done is created an image for the element mania-stage-hint that is basically a tall image with a bar at the top. To be exact: 220 pixels tall with a bar that's 20 pixels in height. Width probably doesn't matter, though I've have it be 50 pixels wide. That's about it.