forum

the current offset wizard is useless. i have a better idea.

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +1
Topic Starter
HakuCell
as an osu!mania player who always has to manually adjust the offset of every beatmap, with the optimal offset actually differing from beatmap to beatmap, i find the current offset wizard useless and the whole offset issue frustrating. idk why this happens: i have good internet but play on a laptop. here's what a better offset wizard should do imo:

- setting the universal offset:
the offset wizard gives me a basic beat or a basic beatmap but with no visual feedback (no score or anything, kinda like the "hidden" game mode, in order not to influence my auditory timing), then i tap to the rhythm, and the offset wizard tells me what my "universal" or "basic" offset is.

- setting a beatmap-specific offset:
the offset wizard allows me to choose one of my beatmaps, and it makes me tap to the basic rhythm of that song, or to its bpm (beats per minutes), again with no visual feedback (kinda like the "hidden" game mode but with no note scores); then i tap to the rhythm, and the wizard adjusts the beatmap-specific offset accordingly, or tells me the offset value that would give me a perfect score on the tested rhythm or bpm.
abraker

HakuCell wrote:

as an osu!mania player who always has to manually adjust the offset of every beatmap, with the optimal offset actually differing from beatmap to beatmap,
I think you are just having issues finding the correct offset due to non-optimal conditions. I recommend tuning your universal offset to this: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/173084. Make sure sound effect is off, close your eyes, and tap to the clicks.
Topic Starter
HakuCell

abraker wrote:

I think you are just having issues finding the correct offset due to non-optimal conditions. I recommend tuning your universal offset to this: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/173084. Make sure sound effect is off, close your eyes, and tap to the clicks.

hey thx. how come the first thing that beatmap description says is "Caution : do not use this tool to adjust your universal offset this doesn't work that way"? also, even if i adjusted my universal offset, it wouldn't help with beatmap-specific offsets.. it seems to me that every beatmap i play has a different optimal offset but i asked a couple other players and they said they never even touched offset settings and never had a problem... i play beatmaps from the official "osu!mania beatmap packs" so they should all have like a standardized offset... maybe i miss-guessed (while trying to manually set the offset for each individual song) and beatmap-specific offset is not a thing
Full Tablet
You can set beatmap-specific offsets, but most ranked maps are correctly timed (some few are off by up to around 30ms, though).

The current offset wizard is meant for syncing the hitsounds to the music in a quick and acceptably accurate way.

Note that it is impossible to sync hitsounds to the music perfectly, even with perfectly set offset, hitsounds can sound up to 5ms off compared to the music (due to how the audio buffer works in the audio engine the game uses). Offset changes of less than 5ms are mostly placebo.

Some players, instead of syncing the hitsounds to the music, sync their keypresses to the music, so the method they use to set the offset is different (a good one involves playing an easy map without hitsounds or visuals, and set the offset according to the results obtained). If you set the offset this way, it is recommended to mute hitsounds, since they will sound late (though, this will make keysounded maps that chart the music by using hitsounds less fun to play).
abraker

HakuCell wrote:

hey thx. how come the first thing that beatmap description says is "Caution : do not use this tool to adjust your universal offset this doesn't work that way"?
because that map was original made to show standard players the latency between pressing the button and hearing hitsounds. It also works well as a map to tune the offset when turning off hitsounds and listening to the regular occurring clicks. I tuned my offset to -16 ms using that map and can confidently say that's the correct offset for my setup.