forum

Touhosu! / Dodge the Beat

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +12,148
show more
RokuonjiKaoruko
yes Touhou On Osu! ^^
Begissor
I want see how to map touhou maps. IMPOSSIBLE ARTS FROM CHERRY BLOSSOM INCOMING!
amax
another mode I'll suck at I guess :/
DJ Enetro

jockeytiyan wrote:

(why. Why do typos kill me every time)
Attack? If the player can attack, it should as well be only for points. However, seeing as it is, the proposal is really going for bullet dodging rather than a shooting game. So attacks would be unnecessary without any enemies to put in the first place, and without any purpose but just for points.
Unless you had some sort of target you had to hit to the beat, similar to project DIVA, so this could be an all-inclusive gamemode or something ;)

Make them attack you and you lose some of your HP? That's what I was thinking. No special for higher-leveled players off but you could modify the setting

OD - health regen/
CS - how exact you gotta be to attack or dodge but that goes back to original touhou lmao,
AR - how fast the objects should go, ask me if that's not explanatory enough

inspiration here
amax
now we can play touhou with demetori playing in he background :o
Haxwill
I wonder what aspire maps would be like
Edgar_Figaro
I also wonder who we will play as since obviously couldn't use actual touhou characters. Guessing a flying Pippi at first until it gets its own mascot
Tanomoshii Nekojou

Edgar_Figaro wrote:

I also wonder who we will play as since obviously couldn't use actual touhou characters. Guessing a flying Pippi at first until it gets its own mascot
new mascoooooot!!! :D <3
YukiPlays
Omg Yes Touhosu! this would be a new intersting mode supporting!
Authoria_old
MFW op is still waiting for this 8 years later
Pachiru
Nice video you brought here Supairo :)
Arrcival
1m19
nubduck
Bumped it up to +9500 :)
Would love to see this happening!
abraker
While it's nice that there is someone working on it, it kinda disappoints me that it moving toward settling on the classic touhou approach. It would be awesome if we got more interesting mechanics than dodging little circles and shooting at bosses. I can think of several things on how to make this more interesting and allow it to be more rhythm based.

How about polygon shapes that mappers can make transform to the music? You would need to dodge those shapes, but also allow to press buttons to change color to dodge things by going through them like in undertale? How about things popping into existence on the location you currently are standing on at every beat to require you to move?

Here is a very crude example of what I imagine: http://i.imgur.com/Q7kKOwO.gifv
abraker
Structures synced to the beat and enemies have approach circles to which you need to press the right key:

error_exe777
do you think people like this idea
Shawdooow

error_exe777 wrote:

do you think people like this idea

Doesn't look like it, I also tried to make this mode a thing. So far failing pretty hard.
IGotsAyClixer
i got 2 ideas for DTB gameplay

1) moving your character so they don't catch the bullets which you can do by 1A) using a normal CTB beatmap but touching the bullets lowers your health or
1B) this:

2) having your cursor avoid circles (only getting hit if the relax mod would click it)
sodaodaoda
i need this in my life
Raren
i want
Poseidon
i want
deadall127
2 month late but... happy 10 years \( ^w^)/
epic man 2
That'd be cool, we could just remake Just Shapes and Beats levels with this engine!
Mr Sonic
I don't doubt that my children will born and touhosu will still not be a thing :(
OsuMagic360
If I’m not too late to this, I have a suggestion for the ‘editor’ of this mode.

I feel like it could be the same as standard but only have sliders and circles. You would be able to have 2+ objects on the same tick and slider ticks would be selectable. I imagine something like a large arrow showing where the bullet would go and the speed of the bullets could be changed through slider velocity (which would change the speed of the bullet) Sliders could be used for better patterns while circles could be used as single objects. There could be a few ‘spawn point’ effects built in to the editor to be placed where bullets come from. There could be bullet pre-sets that would be skinable and combo colors would be the bullet color.

For where bullets can spawn, there could either be a limit to how low you can go or there could not be so that (w/ spawn locations visible) players could dodge bullets in 360 degrees)

I think gameplay would be arrow keys and shift to go slower and another button to go faster.
daBluck820gt
lol 10 years and still nothing
abraker
Corne2Plum3
lmao 11290 stars 😂

It's a good idea and I don't know what isn't added in this game
_Vex
lots of stars lmfao
GreenyNeko
511 posts yikes. Haha.

Here's some ideas I have these might be repeats though. Assuming it's based on already mapped maps.

Each beat(maybe with a cooldown?) spawns a single enemy, sliders spawn rows of the same enemy. Spinners represent a boss that shoots a special pattern.
Points are earned by successfully shooting enemies + extra points if you barely avoid a bullet and in the case of spinners by surviving the bosses pattern + extra points for hitting them. Combo breaks if you let an enemy getaway.

HP: determines recovery or total health.
CS: determines how many bullets are shot at the same time
AR: determines the speed at which the bullets fly and makes enemies stay longer maybe?

Mods
Easy: Less CS, less bullets, less AR, less bulletspeed, more HP
No Fail: You can't game over
Half Time: less bulletspeed, slower enemy fire rate, enemies spawn slower
Hard rock: more CS: more bullets, more AR: more bulletspeed, less HP, more enemy health
Sudden death: getting hit is game over
Perfect: getting hit or letting a normal enemy escape is game over
Double Time: more bulletspeed, faster enemy fire rate, enemies spawn faster (duh, might wanna make them escape faster?)
Nightcore: DT... I think some songs are already hard enough... if not add extra patterns matching the nightcore drum track
Hidden: Two ideas.. first: bullets disappear if they're within 1cm-x-millimeters of you, or vice versa? More funny if enemies and/or their bullets occasionally disappear (completely or barely visible camouflage effect) and reappear. Idk.
Or maybe allow "Fade In" doing that.. hm.
Flash light: could do like fade in, you only see around the player, or around the player + where you shoot (which would make sense given that you need to it things)
Autopilot: avoids all bullets for you and gives player enough time to kill the enemies at certain positions.
Spunout: an explosive removes all bullets from the boss pattern leaving giving you a time to take an extra break
Auto: avoids bullets kills all enemies.

Probably the hardest part would be balancing with maps that have a high amount of circles and sliders hmm.
Lights

GreenyNeko wrote:

511 posts yikes. Haha.

Here's some ideas I have these might be repeats though. Assuming it's based on already mapped maps.

Each beat(maybe with a cooldown?) spawns a single enemy, sliders spawn rows of the same enemy. Spinners represent a boss that shoots a special pattern.
Points are earned by successfully shooting enemies + extra points if you barely avoid a bullet and in the case of spinners by surviving the bosses pattern + extra points for hitting them. Combo breaks if you let an enemy getaway.

HP: determines recovery or total health.
CS: determines how many bullets are shot at the same time
AR: determines the speed at which the bullets fly and makes enemies stay longer maybe?

Mods
Easy: Less CS, less bullets, less AR, less bulletspeed, more HP
No Fail: You can't game over
Half Time: less bulletspeed, slower enemy fire rate, enemies spawn slower
Hard rock: more CS: more bullets, more AR: more bulletspeed, less HP, more enemy health
Sudden death: getting hit is game over
Perfect: getting hit or letting a normal enemy escape is game over
Double Time: more bulletspeed, faster enemy fire rate, enemies spawn faster (duh, might wanna make them escape faster?)
Nightcore: DT... I think some songs are already hard enough... if not add extra patterns matching the nightcore drum track
Hidden: Two ideas.. first: bullets disappear if they're within 1cm-x-millimeters of you, or vice versa? More funny if enemies and/or their bullets occasionally disappear (completely or barely visible camouflage effect) and reappear. Idk.
Or maybe allow "Fade In" doing that.. hm.
Flash light: could do like fade in, you only see around the player, or around the player + where you shoot (which would make sense given that you need to it things)
Autopilot: avoids all bullets for you and gives player enough time to kill the enemies at certain positions.
Spunout: an explosive removes all bullets from the boss pattern leaving giving you a time to take an extra break
Auto: avoids bullets kills all enemies.

Probably the hardest part would be balancing with maps that have a high amount of circles and sliders hmm.
so like... 300+ bpm streams would be pretty much impossible. and jumps would be trivial (in terms of osu!std converts)
GreenyNeko

Lights wrote:

so like... 300+ bpm streams would be pretty much impossible. and jumps would be trivial (in terms of osu!std converts)
Yeah that's why I think that limiting it to a cooldown like only x enemies can be spawned every y seconds.
I haven't looked into the library yet, I'm planning on doing that after exams so I assume I have a better idea on what is possible and what isn't.

When I was going to bed yesterday I also had ideas regarding jumps and positions, you could make enemies come in from the direction given by the vector of the middle point to the element.
And for jumps you could quantify the distance to certain types of elements. So bigger jumps result in stronger enemies? Especially if you consider time as well, which I assume should be able to get?
element.time - lastElementTime; // time distance
Topic Starter
Yasa
It's easy to say "just make a bullet hell, but in osu! and to the music!" but did OP actually put any thought into how difficult it would be to actually implement that in a way that was fun? Sure you can make bullets appear to the music in a number of different ways, but doing so in a way that that isn't too easy or too hard and most importantly is actually fun and makes the different beatmaps feel meaningfully different from one another seems an impossibly difficult task to pull off.

+74 stars
abraker

Yasa wrote:

but did OP actually put any thought into how difficult it would be to actually implement that in a way that was fun? Sure you can make bullets appear to the music in a number of different ways, but doing so in a way that that isn't too easy or too hard and most importantly is actually fun and makes the different beatmaps feel meaningfully different from one another seems an impossibly difficult task to pull off
Mappers will figure out how to make stuff easy or hard if proper elements are implemented. I'd be more concerned with how well the mechanics allow to follow music. Evast has been experimenting with the Tohousu idea for a bit, but it's apparent that the Touhou style mechanics poorly translate to rhythmic type feel. If you take beats and shapes type mechanics on the other hand, that translates better but still not 100% imo.

It's actually possible to make it translate pretty well having the mechanics be a hybrid between osu! (touch the shape) and dodge (avoid the shape).

Also you are OP lmao
Topic Starter
Yasa
It's not so much a question of if it's possible, it surely is, but rather a question of ease of execution, something which I think OP hasn't really considered.

I'm somewhat new to Osu! so I don't remember when catch the beat or Taiko were added but transposition of taiko maps is just taking the timing and if there's a different beatsound for the rim hits, CTB is, more or less, just taking the X position of the beatmap to make the fruit.

Osu!Mania obviously came much later but it was pretty similar I imagine, timing and sliders transpose well.

With Touhosu! however, things are a lot less clear, and the relationship with any real sense of timing is tenuous at best. The original beatmap can be an x,y co-ordinate for bullet spawn points and timings. But how do you make that into genuinely interesting gameplay?

The video by Evast is impressive in a lot of ways and rather than getting bogged down in the challenges I will use that as a basis for my suggestions.

First of all, I think there needs to be an acceptance that on higher difficulties the bullets will make impossible to dodge patterns and some sort of bombing system is needed. Highly strategic bomb use becomes part of the strategy and means that the possibility of more difficult patterns is opened up. CTB had maps that couldn't be full combo'd for a while before the superjumps were introduced. Find a way to make the difficulty doable, rather than shying away from the difficulty in the first place.

This frees up more interesting bullet types to be used. Like Keine's lasers from IN stage 3, or the homing-streaming bullets of stage 5 of PCB. At presemt Evast uses 2 bullet types it seems. If the type of bullet spawned changes with combo and there was a wide variety of bullets, particularly bullets that react to the way the player is moving (when they are fired, no properly homing bullets of course). At present the bullets just move out from their spawn point in a fixed way regardless of what the player does. ZUN uses bullets in a way that zones you around the level by aiming near you with streams. You feel involved rather than like you're dodging a pre-established pattern.

And maybe have a ball that moves around the far end of the level you can shoot at for bonus points meaning players who control their movement more get more points.

But again, this is so monumentally more difficult than implementing any of the other game modes so far because it's about making a dynamic system that has an interesting result with far less control over what the player actually has to do.

I would be quite pleased if happens, don't get me wrong, I just think that the whole request is somewhat of a trap. Seems like a great idea and is thus not instantly dismissed, but is intensely difficult to implement. It seems like the kind of thing that could be an absolute time sink and produce poor results for the time invested and that OP surely didn't think things through enough when they requested this.

yeah but don't tell anyone
abraker

Yasa wrote:

I'm somewhat new to Osu! so I don't remember when catch the beat or Taiko were added but transposition of taiko maps is just taking the timing and if there's a different beatsound for the rim hits, CTB is, more or less, just taking the X position of the beatmap to make the fruit.
I find this odd considering you posted this request over 11 years ago

Yasa wrote:

With Touhosu! however, things are a lot less clear, and the relationship with any real sense of timing is tenuous at best. The original beatmap can be an x,y co-ordinate for bullet spawn points and timings. But how do you make that into genuinely interesting gameplay?
Well I think the concept idea of sticking to Touhou style is rather limiting. We should consider something else imo

Yasa wrote:

First of all, I think there needs to be an acceptance that on higher difficulties the bullets will make impossible to dodge patterns and some sort of bombing system is needed.
You'd be surprised what skilled players can do

Also why would mappers make patterns that are not dodgable?

The rest focuses too much on the premise of a bullet dodge scheme, which I already said poorly translates to rhythm like mechanics.
Topic Starter
Yasa
Regarding undodgability, I was really only thinking of maps transposed from pre-existing beatmaps.

If the aim was to create the tools for making dedicated maps then this feature would have been created a decade ago. I can only imagine that the thing that makes this feature so difficult to implement is creating meaningful transposed maps.

Ultimately I guess the issue boils down to this for me:
With only dedicated maps, implementation is relatively easy, but then why is it osu!?
With transposed maps the task becomes not only nigh impossible, but one for which even complete failures may take a ridiculous amount of time and effort.

It's a ridiculous request made by a young kid who had no concept of how difficult of a feature he was requesting.

That said, if Bancho became a scoreboard server that wasn't intrinsically tied to osu! and rhythm games then it could be a very interesting situation. Imagine playing just straight up Touhou with osu! scoreboards to add an in-game competitive element. Sounds like a very attractive proposition to me and an order of magnitude easier to implement.

+12 stars

EDIT: And I don't mean using Touhou (Doubt you could get ZUN in on that). Straight up creating a brand new bullet hell game and making it work with Bancho would be easier than what I what OP requested
GreenyNeko
I definitely agree that a bullethell shooter that is supposed to stay close to the Touhou formula and experience while being a rhythm game would imo be a cursed problem. Meaning they fundamentally don't work together.

The question is how much do you want to retain from the Touhou formula and experience and how much do you want it to be a rhythm game?
I personally would prefer it to be touhou with the music or mapping being used as a tool of generation to it being an actual rhythm-based but this is where people's opinions differ. Maybe having two different modes one more as a mini-game and leaving the other to the rhythm makes more sense?

I also don't know what ppy is planing regarding this topic.
If you see outside of the mapping and actually start to analyze the music file and generate based on it you can probably do quite some great things though these are quite complicated given that different instruments represent different frequencies in a single tone to make them not sound like VST or something haha.
NekomusuMae
Hey, this is Touhosu by Bloom. You can play it now if you use the osu!lazer client. It's still in development, but I think this is exactly what this request is looking for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VbSgDhFYMc
- Marco -

MLisDreaming wrote:

Hey, this is Touhosu by Bloom. You can play it now if you use the osu!lazer client. It's still in development, but I think this is exactly what this request is looking for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VbSgDhFYMc
This is sooo cool, much better than what i've imaginated in all these years
show more