forum

Actual Somewhat Good Tips For Others.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
The_Loli_Hunter
Also this guide will have sections written where every word has Capitalized letters and some without, sorry bout that.

Just Note I'm not a God this game nor am I gonna say that i'm good but I wanna share some things as I started to play osu! and eventually reach the rank im on currently (around 77k) when i started writing this and now (26k) still leaving this disclaimer cause i might receive some backlash for posting this.

Table Of Contents (What's In The Guide)
-Map Recommendations And Some For Improving in Certain Areas
-General Tips and Advice
-Learning Alternate
-MS Delay Improvement, Decreasing Of.
-Tablet Area & Tablet Driver
-Keyboard Switches + Cheaper Alternatives
-Guide To Making More Than One Tablet Work.
-My Opinion and Experience on Some Tablets

Keypoints

I'm putting this here cause it's important
A.Build consistency!
-Improve Reading, And Aim, Rather than Memorization Of The Map/Muscle Memory.
You can use score v2, to help measure this.

There's also other guides available such as the pinned one
jesse1412's Guide

Spaced Stream Meta

HR for even more pp,practice space streaming as it may show up more often now that hey give more pp,although higher star beatmaps do feature spaced streams so might as well practice that.

For Those Moving To 5 Or More Star Maps

Forsaken - NGC 3.14 x Aika
I Recommend This Since I Think Its A Good Place To Start For 5-6* Maps.

For Those Moving To 6 Or More Star Maps

Oriental Blossom - Eisyo-kobu
Play [hm's Another] It has some nice patterns which should help you move up.
Prismatic Lollipops - DJ Mashiro
Play The [Sweet] Difficulty Of This It's A Good Intro Into The "Harder" Beatmaps.

Additional Maps
Majo ni Naritai Hime to Hime ni Naritai Majo no Rhapsody feat. Uesaka Sumire - Uchida Maaya
[Bonus - Get Atleast 95% Accuracy On This]

Light Up My Love - Ani Ft. Moco
[Another] Good Triple Burst Practice, And A Bit O Stream/

Koi no Hime Hime Pettanko - *namirin
HIME HIME!

Bon Appetit S - Blend A
Play [Stile!], Build That "Tech" Consistency.

Asymmetry - Reol
You just gotta play Reol Asymmetry...

BMS(nmk) - sola
Good Map In General, Totally Should Play

Hype feat. Such - PSYQUI
It Focuses On Bursts And Such, 5 Mins Long Good Remember Practice Improves Consistency,
(Try Not To Retry Too Much)

Tokyo (Innovaderz Remix) - DJ Ozawa
The [Extra] Difficulty is pretty nice and well rounded to help you improve, bursts, streanms, jumps, a bit of technicality, and taps.

Airman ga Taosenai (SOUND HOLIC Ver.) = SOUND HOLIC
Play the 6 Star [Unbeatable] It has good jumps and streams, and one of our favourite songs Airman! I had a lot of fun playing this map.

go to Romance>>>>> (TV Size) - Luce Twinkle Wink*
Confident in your ~5* reading and aim + a bit of streaming? Test it with [Extra]

Hello!My World! - fhana
[Melancholy] Good Early Spaced Stream Practice 5.4 *

Power of Dream (Night Fever Refix) = IOSYS
[Power of Stream] Streams and Bursts with uncommon patterns.

Chou Jou Genki Show*Idol ch@ng! = Matsuda Arisa (CV: Murakawa Rie)
[Expert] 5.09* Good rounded map for jumps, small streams, bursts, sliders

More Later...

Info About The PP Re-Balance And Inactivity "Purge"

NOTICE

There was a Rebalance recently and osu is slightly different regarding PP gain now,
Changes
=Inactive Players
time frame quote "(no score recorded in 3 months)"
=The Perfomance Calculation
TLDR;
HD bonus reduced but obviously still gives more than without hd
Maps with Jumps and etc. have been nerfed
Speed bonus for Hidden increased
Aim Reduction Is Linear Higher AR (Approach Rate) = Lower Aim Bonus and vice versa. (For the same patern)
Official Topic: home/news/2018-05-16-performance-updates
The Even Longer Essay Paper : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pY9rtz9lUxjbBYg4aR_Jh1YdXDIlf1vnfVptdp8Dth0/edit

I'd also like to state that this probably wont help anyone near or above 100k

The Post

Now I know yall be wanting to grind there for pp just to get that rank,
now I started osu as a total scrub and I refused to do anything other than a 3 star map, one of my first completed beatmaps was a 3 star beatmap now heres some simple things you can do

Anybody Around +1,000,000 Rank (Or Beginners)

-Play More [How Original]
-There's really no better advice for anyone, this can apply to everyone no matter what the rank, Play smart and try to learn and think of how you can improve cause in the end its only you who can help yourself.
-Don’t Care Too Much About Not Get a Full Combo Or Getting An S/SS On Beatmaps
(Although there is some people who play with Perfect or FC Only - May or may not be helpful Idk)
-I Suggest Just Actually Playing For Genuine Fun, No Need To Be A PP/Rank Hungry (Yet or Ever)
-The Obvious Stuff
–Click With Your Keyboard
–Play With A Custom Skin As The Default Skin Isnt The Best (Pick Something Clean And Un-obstructive)
–Play On Unlimited Frames (To Reduce Input Lag)
–Turn On Raw Input Mouse & Tablet (For Tablets Turn Off Windows Ink) [You don't have to its just better for less input lag]
-I Relax My Mind And Try Not To Panic If Im Being Delayed Or Clicking Early
My Acc Went Higher And I Usually Keep My Combos For Longer Now By Playing In A Lax Way.
Try This! For Sure. Keep Ya Composure.

Learning Alternate

I'm assuming you're able to at least do 5-6 stars or started alternating early I personally do not alt, and only switch to some terrible attempt at alt when the bpm gets too high for me, I still do not go full alternate since I still instinctively start streams/bursts with my main tapping button, and can't do my alternating for too long or else I end up missing a lot,
(Update)
I can alternate much better now I just went hecc it and tried to alt for a day, and now I alt every now and then, especially to save my stamina/energy for longer songs or streams and such or when the bpm or patterns start overwhelming me with single tapping I'm now able to use alt to a okay-ish degree.

I'd recommend you try maps with patterns that would basically force you to do alternating, (basically if alternating is beneficial to that map/pattern then its good enough)
Monstrata Alternator Compilation - Various Artists
This features a bunch of songs you may be familiar with, I'd recommend turning on no-fail if anything our purpose to playing these maps are to get used to alternating,
Dorchadas - Rita
This is also a pretty alt map, so I guess try it out? and maybe.
Hoshizuki no Interlude
Good luck, I wont try to tell you about something I'm not too familiar with nor confident enough to do "Play More"

Getting Lower MS

Obviously Have, Unlimited Frames, Fullscreen Native,
And The Rest You Would Have To Experiment with, for anything that would increase latency
Compatibility mode adds .20 ms for me, and discord overlay also adds about the same amount
Turning off shadow play added latency for me (??)
I Recommend Fiddling Around With Your Settings
Including Your GPU's Settings - Keep This In Mind
Make Sure You Make Your GPU Show The Raw Image As Much As Possible
No AA, No Processing, Have Anything Like Optimizations On Processing On AKA Faster Processing
The Sooner On Your Screen (ASAP) The Better For No Latency. you get the idea.

Tablet Area *My Experience*

I Personally have used a small tablet area for around a few months now from 1.6 mil to 94k
Switching to a larger tablet area is now better for me because i can be more accurate and such
I recommend you find what tablet area is good for you,if you want my recommendation then i suggest look for something medium not too big or not too small, just try it out for a day. Good luck

Now for "Everyone"

If You Need To Improve On

Jumping : Make your aim stiff and usually the problem is under aiming or over aiming and missing the jump, basically just do TV size maps and odds are theyre mostly going to utilize jumps for that difficulty and pp.
but make sure tapping is also in sync (duh)
heres a recommended challenge for you guys (Not My Content)
Higu's Jump Training

Streaming : Other than mashing that shit like a mother fucker, try to actually follow some sort of beat, in streaming you don’t wanna tap extras causing you to get 100′s or 50′s or even misses and messing up your stream refine your shit until you can stream properly (little to no extra clicks)
Stream Practice Collection Various BPMS (Do note this is old so just play whatever stream heavy maps you have)
Heres A Bunch Of Beatmaps With Different BPMs Use this and the bar under your screen to measure accuracy
Thanks to Voltaeyx For This: Which I Failed To Cover
Aim smoothly on the streams, and follow the streams accordingly depending on Note Density As well, since you could hit notes early or late, even if you're tapping perfectly because your aim is off.

Streaming Timing : Pretty important to learn once you have enough stamina to stream well enough
Heres a few maps i recommend you practice stream timing/bursts on,
Road of Resistance (GoldenWolf Metal Mix) - R3 Music Box
Mou Ii kai? - THE ORAL CIGARETTES

(Recommended To Turn On Key Overlay In General It May Be Distracting But It Helps Keep Track On Ya Shit)

Don’t Forget To
-Play outside of your comfort zone, its okay to fail at harder beatmaps but u wont improve unless u step it up a notch, although be somewhat consistent at your current level before moving up, like maybe if you can S or FC the star difficulty youre at somewhat consistently or very consistently then move up, although what i did was force myself to be able to do higher ones barely so i can do the beatmaps at my actual current difficulty to be able to S/FC them.
-Constantly be vigilant for areas of improvement, such as if youre overaiming or underaiming you might want to adjust your settings, and if you see your accuracy dropping in certain patterns like jumps or streams you might want to improve on that, Play more, but not just blindly go in, if you want to be efficient then pay attention to where youre lacking, but dont forget to enjoy the game.

If You Really Only Care About The PP And Wanna Know How Much Ya Get Real-time
I Recommend Getting Osu PP Sync! For Ingame Realtime PP Calculation
forum/t/685031 - Seperate Window (Now Has A Fullscreen Version Too)
community/forums/topics/773429 - Fullscreen Overlay
(The full screen overlay may be distracting at times)

When In Doubt Ask Ya Boi Tillerino
Simply just go in-game and open the online users list (f9) and just search for
Tillerino and add him, then just type !r for a beatmap with decent pp depending on your top plays.

- Know the pain of how much pp you lose because of your inaccuracy

You already know what maps to pp farm but you could just search up for these online.

Mouse Settings

Like i said earlier if you wanted a much more responsive and accurate mouse then turn on raw input and the unlimited frames,now here's a few ways you can adjust your mouse settings
-DPI
-Mouse Acceleration
-Ingame Osu! Sensitivity
Although I dont recommend touching your DPI settings just fiddle around with the Ingame Sensitivity Instead

Should I Purchase A Tablet?

Obviously this is for those without a tablet, I can't justify purchasing a tablet, If you have the extra money to then do it also if you really want it,
Just remember that not everyone will be comfortable or perform at their peak with certain things, and with each tablet everyone's mileage and performance on it may vary so just choose what would probably suit you the best,known brands within osu are
Huion,Wacom,Veikk,XP-Pen,Gaomon, - Dont forget do research on each tablet to find the right one for you.
although remember the choice is always yours.
Remember buying tablets doesn't convert you into a god instantly.

Multiple Tablet Driver Guide

Some Things I Can Tell You About Tablets
Veikk S640
Has a Active Area Of 6x4 Inches.Battery-Free Pen, Comes With A Pen "Case" Just A Cheap Uhh Foam? Thing.
The Tablet and Pen are pretty light, The Pen Is similar To The Xp-Pen G430S
The Tablet Is Not Leveled And Is Not The Best For Left Handed People
Pretty Cheap, But Decent, I Pushed Hard On The Tablet And It Started Bending A Bit, But That's Probably Because Im Exerting A Bit Of Force On It, The Drivers Do Not Have Profiles [As Of October,2018] So I Had To Re-size The Tablet Area If I Wanted To draw With it. Id Only Recommend This If You Had No Other Choice *The Other Tablets Are Not Retailing,Unreasonably Expensive For Some Reason Etc.*

Huion H-420
This tablet is pretty responsive, I totally could see myself using this for a main tablet, although I personally dislike having to change the battery, mainly cause I find it annoying to open and close the pen, but it's not a terrible tablet as people who haven't tried it have said although I do have concerns for the durability of it as from what i've heard some people broke this tablet but probably more people have had it last for years whilst some only a few days depends on the person yeah, but if you treat your things nicely and with care AS YOU SHOULD then you shouldnt have to worry, with the hawku drivers or without you could expect this tablet to do great with osu.
The Tablet is Leveled And Has A Smaller Area Of 4x2.3"
Battery Required For Pen - Has Weight (Different Preferences Per Person)
Was/Is Official Osu Tablet.

Huion H640P
I just got this tablet today (12/15/18) And I gotta say, it's pretty good so far,
I just winged the tablet area and guessed, and ended up with something pretty comfortable for me
the pen has a rubber bottom half so that would help prevent slipping, which I experience sometimes on my wacom, the tablet itself looks nice,has a pretty nice hover distance, and drag texture to it.

CTL-490 Draw - White(Old) It's What I Used...
Leveled Tablet, Light Pen, Good For Either Left/Right Handed,
I Don't Think Hovering Is The Best On It, More Like I Didn't Play Hover
Still Barely Went Through 1 Nib [As Of March,2019 Playing Drag And Drawing With It] After Owning It For Longer Than A Year
Pricey,Etc. Idk What Else To Talk About Regarding This Tablet.

Xp-Pen Deco 01
The Deco 01 is an alright tablet, its pretty good for drawing and it does decently on osu, you just have to put time into your tablet area as always, the pen is pretty good as its heavy, if you need a 10x6 tablet you should totally consider this, for an osu tablet.

Xp-Pen G430S
Pretty good tablet, as its size is 4x3" and I'm pretty sure they made the drivers with less input lag/delay? cause they wrote "For Osu!" the tablet is pretty alright, for the responsiveness and its pretty cheap,the pen on it has some slight weight.

Wacom Ctl-472
From what i heard the 472 and 471 are practically the CTL/H-480 in terms of their responsiveness, the tablet certainly seems significantly better than my CTL-490W(old) although im playing hover on the 472 rather than drag on the 490, but yeah it certainly is responsive, its also the cheapest wacom tablet you can buy at the moment (although it is pricier in other countries, i checked amazon and its 80$ im not sure about europe)you could also grab it from aliexpress for about 50$, and free shipping, if you desire this tablet. although check online stores, and stores near you in case they have it on stock for prices around 50$, back on topic its a pretty good tablet im still trying to use it as my main tablet right now so, i'll update this if anything changes drastically.

Wacom Ctl-480
I like the tablet, but I don't think its anything special,it's pretty responsive in regards to hardware delay although if you were to ask me if you should go out of your way to purchase this then id say that its performance would be comparable to plenty of tablets already out there, it didn't turn me into shigetora or anything, this tablet is prolly just overhyped since a lot of the top players out there use it, as it was a readily available and preferable tablet at the time it was being made and it was quite appealing to osu players probably, it does perform nicely but considering its rarity and such I bought it as a collector not really for the PP FARM GRIND I NEED EVERY EDGE, I still personally see your own capabilities and skill and practice as the main factor for growth and improvement, not denying equipment plays no part in how you perform/grow.

Going To Buy These Tablets:
Gaomon S640
Xp-pen G640S
Veikk A30
Gaomon S56K
*Re-Purchasing* Veikk S640

I Plan On Buying A Few More Tablets to Try How They Perform And I'll Update This.

Tablet Area

I had a tiny area for all my time on osu about a few cm,but recently i changed my tablet size to something bigger and it really helped me improve because I can be more accurate although im not used to this yet so im still rough at it,

I recommend you experiment with the tablet area and find something that is comfortable to you yet best for your performance as i said before it takes about a day or more to adjust to the new settings.
To find this, I recommend trying out Full tablet,1/2 and 1/3rd and then 1/4th etc. And see which one straight up feels the most comfortable,then play with that and as you play you will feel if its too big or too small, i do recommend playing for a while each time you adjust your tablet area as to not make any hasty decisions or judgments, who knows that area might just take some time getting used to.

Tablet Drivers

Theres a few custom tablet drivers out there, and currently as of 2018/10/25 I tried using Hawku's Tablet Driver and it's pretty good with noticeably less input delay/lag
Hawku's Compatibility List As Of 22/08/2019

Supported operating systems:

Windows 10 64-bit
Windows 8.1 64-bit
Windows 8 64-bit
Windows 7 64-bit (Multiple monitors do not work in absolute mode)

Supported tablets:

Wacom CTE-440
Wacom CTL-470
Wacom CTH-470
Wacom CTL-471
Wacom CTL-472
Wacom CTL-480
Wacom CTH-480
Wacom CTL-490
Wacom CTH-490
Wacom CTL-4100 USB
Wacom CTL-4100 Bluetooth
Wacom CTL-671
Wacom CTL-672
Wacom CTL-680
Wacom CTH-680
Wacom CTL-690
Wacom CTH-690
Wacom PTH-660
Wacom PTH-451
Wacom PTH-850
XP-Pen G430 (New 2017+ "Model B". Old G430 is not supported)
XP-Pen G430S
XP-Pen G540 Pro (G540 is not supported)
XP-Pen G640
XP-Pen G640S
XP-Pen Deco 01
XP-Pen Deco 01 v2
Huion 420
Huion H420
Huion H430P
Huion H640P
Huion osu!tablet
Gaomon S56K
VEIKK S640

Configured, but not properly tested:

Huion New 1060 Plus
Huion Inspiroy Q11K
Other Wacom tablets that might work: https://github.com/hawku/TabletDriver/blob/master/TabletDriverService/config/wacom.cfg

Keyboard (Switches)

Theres a few ways to approach this,
1.Buying a new keyboard with your desired switches (or keyboards with swap-able switches)
2.Buying one of the osu 2 keypads,usually with changeable switches,
3.Replacing the switches on your existing keyboard - if youre going to do this make sure you get compatible switches for your keyboard (duh), and this does require soldering knowledge. although theres a lot of videos online on how to go about this process.
4.Buy a numpad with specific switches, such as reds,blue,etc. and if you want you can replace the switches on those.

For the switches themselves, I recommend you try out each switch, either by purchasing a tester for a few dollars, or trying out the switches either at a shop that gives that option or by testing out a friends keyboard.

Although doing research on how each switch functions should give you a general idea on which is your ideal switch, using it for real also has obvious merits.

Might I add considering getting o-rings, they reduce your bottom out distance and make your keyboard quiet(er), the main importance of o-rings with osu is the bottom out distance reduction practically. it in theory should make you tap faster if you ever have to bottom out. theyre pretty cheap so worth giving a shot imo.
Buster
post this here 13
Flanster

TheQuacking666 wrote:

post this here 13

Or I could move it.
Flying Deer
"–Play On Unlimited Frames (To Reduce Input Lag) "
I've seen this somewhere before and it's the kind of tip that seems to help yet everyone forgets to share it.
Topic Starter
The_Loli_Hunter

Flying Deer wrote:

"–Play On Unlimited Frames (To Reduce Input Lag) "
I've seen this somewhere before and it's the kind of tip that seems to help yet everyone forgets to share it.

Never knew. I dont really use guides or anything and I never read anyone elses guide I just wrote what I thought of so I also cant compare the quality and content of my guide. (100 Year Late Reply)
xBuneZ
Many thanks!
tomatas95
Great thread!
Seno Ran
lol nice guide.Thanks for this lol
Topic Starter
The_Loli_Hunter
Thanks to Everyone who read the guide and even said thanks, didn't expect this guide to get that many views, i'm still constantly updating this in hopes of helping others.

always have fun (no pp stress pls) ;)
ADelicateOrange
Nice list of recs and I'm going to use those stream maps because IM HOT GARBAGE at 20+ note streams.
Additionally, I would recommend to always turn off Mouse Accel and enhance pointer precision because both of those things use computer algorithms to predict where we want our cursor placement. This may not sound weird, but this plays a role when it comes to jumps because a faster flick will travel farther compared to a slower flick with either/both of those options selected.

Its not impossible to aim with those on because some OSU players and CSGO pros use it, but I would recommend for the majority of people to turn it off.
zacharylim123
Thank you! very cool
Voltaeyx
cool
Topic Starter
The_Loli_Hunter

Voltaeyx wrote:

cool

I Just credited you and you comment cool asap XD.