forum

[duplicate] Instead of deleting map requests, why not add a "top requests" section?

posted
Total Posts

Do you want a "top beatmap requests" community voting system?

yes
33.33%
no
66.67%
not sure
0.00%
Total votes: 9
Polling ended
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
hairshirt
I totally get the instinct to just delete low-effort map requests because it really is a lot of work making beatmaps. However, knowing about songs that would be great candidates for beatmaps is its own skill IMO. A very talented beatmap creator might not be aware of some songs they would really love to make a beatmap for and instead end up settling on a song that doesn't really inspire a strong reaction in themselves or the community.

Why not add a section where the community can request and vote on songs they would love a beatmap for? Then the whole community can see what songs are the most in demand and would be highly played and appreciated. It also would serve as a way for osu players to discover even more new music.

I'm not sure if someone has suggested something like this in the past since I'm new to the forum but I'm interested to see what the community here thinks of the idea.

Thanks and great game!
Nathanael
This has been suggested in the past. Most mappers out there only map what they're interested in so requests are pointless.
Topic Starter
hairshirt
Sure but, and I'm only speaking for myself, what music I'm interested in evolves over time based on my exposure to new songs. Why not have a place on a music/rhythm game forum to simply share music you'd like to see beatmapped one day? Seems like an obvious inclusion.

Also, why was this moved to the "Completed Requests" board where no further discussion is allowed if it's not a feature that's included in the forum? Unless I'm mistaken there isn't a place here to share music you think would be great for a beatmap, so it's not a "completed request".
Stefan
https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/91 does allow in a way to talk about music you would like to see ranked. The thing is that the viability of something like an area for that content is very low to non-existent. It wouldn't have much value because as you can see but forums like Feature Requests and Beatmap Projects are overloaded with (dead) threads, whether be good or not. Having another one doesn't seem necessary and wise to me.
Topic Starter
hairshirt
It just seems like a missed opportunity to not have some kind of global "Top Community Beatmap Requests" poll for everyone to see and participate in what beatmaps the community would be excited for.

Every now and then I hear songs that I go "That MUST be an osu beatmap!" and when I search for it there isn't one. It generates a desire in me to at least put it out as a suggestion to the community but this forum forbids it and provides no way for that kind of contribution to be fulfilled.

To discourage such an obvious and basic instinct of most new osu players seems at best neglectful and at worst draconian. It's almost equivalent to if osu was changed so only 4 star difficulty and above beatmaps were allowed to be shared because "if you aren't willing to put in the effort to play the game at 4 stars just don't bother".

I can imagine you don't want just a bunch of low-effort request threads and I get why you'd want to avoid that. But why not just allow that instinct to be channeled in a less annoying way by making some large monthly polls or something? That way more of the community is participating and capable of being fulfilled instead of having their threads moderated and being put off from the community entirely?

Also, moving this discussion to "Completed Requests" makes no sense. It's not a feature therefore it's not complete. The only motivation I can think of to do this is that this is a dead part of the forums and so it was put here to inhibit any discussion on the topic. Is this really how the moderators handle dissent?
Stefan
Okay, imagine we had a subforum with these "Top Community Beatmap Requests" polls. What then? Mappers do not react on them with "o wow, guess I should map that, because that's what the community wants" but in reality mappers map songs they preferably listen to or like in general, and often that are songs that are very niche and not the everyday's radio songs you listen on TV or youtube. Also, as mapper I can tell you I wouldn't be interested to read such a forum. And the very majority neither would.

We had a place for that in the past, fyi. That was where around 2k users a day were active, so quite a long time before. And it already worked quite bad. I really don't want to imagine something like that today, and in the end people would still post outside of the respective place, so the viability is even smaller then.

And this idea is considered as feature, and denied (and marked as duplicate) since people were asking for that previously and as stated above we had that in the past with quite bad results. We don't need to try that in 2018 since it won't work (much) better than it did in the past.
Topic Starter
hairshirt
So you just speak for the entire osu community, got it. And yet you're so confident in your opinion that you consent to this thread being moved randomly to "Completed Features" even though it's not a completed feature and where it coincidentally will get no exposure.

And, speaking for myself, I am put off by participating in this community based on how this innocuous suggestion thread has been handled. Reeks of petty opinion policing. Have a good one.
Death
This was moved to "Completed Requests" because that is where threads that are marked as a duplicate, invalid, or added go. As Nathanael mentioned in their post, this has been requested before. Thus it was marked as a duplicate (see the "[duplicate]" tag in the title) and automatically moved.

https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/116765
https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/116931
https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/157872
https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/193731
https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/455653
https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/558713

Taking a quick look to make sure your idea hasn't been requested before is also mentioned in the forum guidelines pinned to the top of the forum. It says:
Use the search system.
Look for your request if it has been already requested or marked as invalid/duplicate by using the search system.
Topic Starter
hairshirt
Funny thing is in a lot of those "duplicates" (I'm suggesting a voting system which is different than a beatmap request section) you hear the same tired response from the mods that "I make beatmaps and I wouldn't take requests therefore no one would."

Rather than consider that the request system wasn't implemented optimally, you immediately draw the conclusion that the idea of requesting beatmaps is a waste. This isn't logical. If no one was taking requests before, then it's just as likely that the format for requesting beatmaps wasn't working, not that no one would take requests under any circumstances.

A global request poll for showing the songs that are in demand for the community at large likely WOULD inspire beatmap creators to consider heavily requested songs. And that's the reason I made this thread and included a poll with it. But this immediately gets mistakenly flagged as a duplicate and no one in the community gets to vote on their preference for a feature like this because a couple mods arrogantly proclaim for everyone that "I wouldn't take a beatmap request therefore no one would." It's baffling that a suggestion this innocuous (and this historically popular as your "duplicates" point out) is met with so much resistance from the mods here.
Death
I'm not here to argue whether or not your request has merit or value. I'm pointing out the reason it was moved to Completed Requests, which seems to be an issue to you. Your idea has been requested before, it doesn't need to be a carbon copy of the other threads to be a duplicate.