forum

Exact storyboard BG size and scaling

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Osuva nimi HAH
I've run into a problem when making a storyboard. I'd like my background image animations to be pixel-perfect, so I thought scripting would be the way to go. But I cannot get them to line up perfectly. I'm doing some fades and scalings of one base image in different colours.

What is the size of the storyboard background?
How can one align animations perfectly?

The play area is 640x480 to my knowledge, but I'm looking for the widescreen info. It seems that my 1920x1080 regular background test image fits perfectly on the screen and is not blurry, which suggests that it is used as-is. When introducing the animations, things start to blur. Firstly, from the full resolution, one achieves visually almost the identical size with the scaling factor 0.445. But when using an animation, even the original background image is not in its original size. Secondly, the scaled (animated) image doesn't seem to lay exactly in the centre of the screen. After the animation there is a shift of maybe one pixel to the right. Changing the placement of the sprite in 1-pixel increments is too much in every direction to fix this.

Here's the script:
Sprite,Foreground,Centre,"full.png",320,240
S,0,1000,,0.445
F,0,1000,2000,0,1

Am I missing something?

Experiments:
I've looked at the scaling I've used in a few maps. These are the results of my visual alignments:
  1. 1600 x 1117 -> 0.533 -> 853.2 x 568.8
  2. 1800 x 1200 -> 0.474 -> 852.8 x 595.7
  3. 1920 x 1080 -> 0.445 -> 854.4 x 480.6

As the aspect ratios of the pictures varied, this would suggest, that the pictures are scaled to fill both the axes. And that the size of the horizontal axis is roughly 853px. Assuming the height limit is 480, based on the full hd calibration, calculating the scaling factor would result in 0.4444... but this scaling has the same shift effect I described above.
P i k u
Heya, I know this is a very old thread, but I'm just gonna put that here in case anyone else needs an answer for this (because this thread is literally the best thing google spits out at you).

You were pretty close, the actual size for widescreen SB area is 854x480. So, if you want to fit your BG to the screen you can just divide 854 by the image's width and you have your scaling factor*!

The normal SB size is 640x480. Widescreen support adds another 107px to each side.
The actual playarea is 510x385 (taken from the osu!wiki, which totally should also mention the widescreen SB size.. but it doesn't).

Hope this helps anyone.
Credit goes to Darky1, bless you.

*assuming your image file has a 16:9 ratio, otherwise you do this:
  1. Divide 854 by your image's width.
  2. Divide 480 by your image's height.
  3. Now use whichever's bigger as your final scaling factor.