forum

[resolved] Osu stuttering issue [SOLVED]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Azyrophael
This started randomly and I've been through just about every forum thread that even mentions stuttering and nothing has worked.
So here is what happens, randomly at any point when the game is open and music is playing (both when playing the song and when it is just running in menus) the game will hitch/stutter, audio skips like a messed up CD and when it happens while playing the notes slide back and forth erratically, making it impossible to hit them properly.

Computer specs:
Win10 64 bit
Intel i7-7700k
GTX 1080ti
16gb ram
144hz monitor

Here are the things I have tried so far (although I have lost count as to how many things I've tried):
Tweaked every setting in Osu in some capacity
Ran Osu in various windows compatibility modes
Uninstalled and reinstalled the game
Updated all graphics and sound drivers to their newest versions
Checked all the config files in the osu folder
Restarted computer several times
Turned off Windows DVR
Closed all open programs so that Osu was the only thing running
Ran Osu in fullscreen, windowed, and borderless windowed modes
Ran as administrator
Tried Stable, Beta, and Cutting Edge
Turned off windows allowing downloads from other computers on the network

My computer is not overheating and the CPU never goes above 30%, but it does appear to be spiking slightly when the stutters occur (haven't been able to solve that either).

I managed to get a video of it, it happens twice in this video once at 11 seconds and again at 1 minute 7 seconds. These are small examples of the issue, sometimes it will skip for a solid second or two instead of these little micro stutters.
https://youtu.be/JqTcN5uf1ZE

I could really use some help, because right now I can't play at all.
Dntm8kmeeatu
I don't see that you have tried disabling your Antivirus a fix, try that, but at your own risk, they are however, known for causing behaviour like this.

Even though it was a few seconds off, it still me be worth to ask, Do you have multiple wallpapers set to rotate every minute? if so, that might cause that kind of behavior too.

Also, you said CPU spikes, which just makes me thing more it's a background program, or even Windows process causing the spike. Try watching Task manager when the spike happens and sort by CPU or Disk (Try both for best results) and see if you can't find what process is causing the spike.
Topic Starter
Azyrophael

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

I don't see that you have tried disabling your Antivirus a fix, try that, but at your own risk, they are however, known for causing behaviour like this.

Even though it was a few seconds off, it still me be worth to ask, Do you have multiple wallpapers set to rotate every minute? if so, that might cause that kind of behavior too.

Also, you said CPU spikes, which just makes me thing more it's a background program, or even Windows process causing the spike. Try watching Task manager when the spike happens and sort by CPU or Disk (Try both for best results) and see if you can't find what process is causing the spike.
Alright, so after some serious looking around and testing, I have some results. Turning off Antivirus didn't do anything and windows was already set to be a single wallpaper, but that last one is where the issue seems to have been coming from. After a lot of playing around and watching task manager to see what programs were spiking I found that the program "Backblaze" which is a cloud backup service was pretty regularly causing about a 15-20% spike in CPU usage. It was also a program that was set up to be on all the time. After disabling that, the stuttering seems to have gone away.

The specific programs that seem to have been the issue were "bzbui.exe" and "bzserv.exe" both main components of Backblaze.
The93Enigma
When you google osu suttering this post shows up first, so I'm posting a resolution I found.
If songs only jitter in the main menu, thats because of something to do with Norton.

I fixed it by going to Norton -> Settings -> Antivirus -> Scans and Risks -> Items to Exlude from Auto-Protect, SONAR and Download Intelligence Detection -> Configure [+] -> Add Folders -> Click Folder Icon -> Select folder where you installed Osu (Make sure the Include subfolders is selected) -> Ok

That should fix your main menu jitters/ stutters.

Apparently Norton doesn't like Osu. This will allow your games to run smoothly, however, I do suggest you to scan the Osu folder from time to time with Norton.
Death

The93Enigma wrote:

When you google osu suttering this post shows up first, so I'm posting a resolution I found.
If songs only jitter in the main menu, thats because of something to do with Norton.

I fixed it by going to Norton -> Settings -> Antivirus -> Scans and Risks -> Items to Exlude from Auto-Protect, SONAR and Download Intelligence Detection -> Configure [+] -> Add Folders -> Click Folder Icon -> Select folder where you installed Osu (Make sure the Include subfolders is selected) -> Ok

That should fix your main menu jitters/ stutters.

Apparently Norton doesn't like Osu. This will allow your games to run smoothly, however, I do suggest you to scan the Osu folder from time to time with Norton.
I'd recommend posting that here as this person's stuttering has already been resolved.
Misled Zero
SO I figured it out. If your card can draw to many frames it can cause stuttering. If your monitor response time isn't close to what the game response time is you can stutter. The solution is setting a frame cap. I set mine to 1500FPS which keeps the FPS close to my monitors response time. It took me 6 months to figure out being below or above you monitor response time messes up game play. I know if set the framerate to unlimited it can go below .5 mil sec. Just don't do it. Hope this helps for future players.

Specs of my system.
-EVGA 3080 TI
Death

Misled Zero wrote:

SO I figured it out. If your card can draw to many frames it can cause stuttering. If your monitor response time isn't close to what the game response time is you can stutter. The solution is setting a frame cap. I set mine to 1500FPS which keeps the FPS close to my monitors response time. It took me 6 months to figure out being below or above you monitor response time messes up game play. I know if set the framerate to unlimited it can go below .5 mil sec. Just don't do it. Hope this helps for future players.

Specs of my system.
-EVGA 3080 TI
This is why the "optimal" frame limiter setting isn't unlimited.