Ehh more or less
5.56%
Was this supposed to help anyone?
4.39%
Total votes: 1116
show more
Kibbleru
2 things
offset is not always the first absolute sound in a map, but rather the first stanza, since many songs have lead-ins.
distance snap is definitely NOT an absolute must (though recommended for newbies) advanced mappers actually rather leave distance snap off
Topic Starter
Anxient

Kibbleru wrote:

2 things
offset is not always the first absolute sound in a map, but rather the first stanza, since many songs have lead-ins.
distance snap is definitely NOT an absolute must (though recommended for newbies) advanced mappers actually rather leave distance snap off
thanks for pointing this out >.<
Zexous
My contribution to this guide:

Anxient wrote:

>Difficulty: This shows name of the difficulty you are currently mapping. In approval maps (songs with more than 5 minutes of drain time), the hardest difficulty of a mapset, or collaborations, you can name this whatever you want! In the hardest difficulty, however, you must relate the hardest difficulty name to something that relates to the song. Here, i used Kawaii Hardcore coz the genre of this song is J-Core, and Nanahira is cute. Don't judge me. Moe is love, moe is life.
As of recent (or I don't actually know how recent this change is anymore, but still) changes to the ranking criteria, you cannot name diffs whatever you want, the whole scheme has to be related and the names have to make enough sense to discern their tier from name alone (although new star rating should've nullified this rule, but whatever).
Basically, diff names like [0108] are no longer viable, spreads like [lol] --> [lmao] --> [rofl] are no longer viable.

Anxient wrote:

>Source: This shows on where the song came from. If this song doesnt appear from anywhere (anime, games, etc), then it is fine to leave this blank.
Clarification that you don't go 100% specific on this. So for example if a song appears from anime "Anime X" on episode Y, you wouldn't write "Anime X Episode Y" in Source, just "Anime X".

Just head to #modhelp (warning: high amount of cancer there)
I'm crying

Anxient wrote:

Distance Snap ([Alt] key)
by default, the Distance Snap (aka DS) would be binded to the alt key
I actually exclusively use the toggles (Y for DS).
Also you should have a tiny little section on grid snap, you can explain its use but mostly it's just annoying and the toggle for it is T.

Anxient wrote:

Flow
This thing is really important for some reason—maybe it’s because a map with bad flow will make the player feel uncomfortable when playing! Your flow should make sense; don’t put ridiculous jumps left and right just to make the map more “difficult”, because #modhelp will bite you!...hard!
You should add that as you improve as a player, your understanding of flow will improve and you'll be able to see what other complex types of flow are good and bad.

Anxient wrote:

Whatever you do, a map is always in ¼, ALWAYS (almost).
I feel like you should ease up on the severity of that statement, just kinda say "Most songs will be in 1/4, any other snap is uncommon".

Anxient wrote:

Remember, you want a map that somehow represents and embodies the song’s nature.
BOLD IT, UNDERLINE IT, ITALICIZE IT, ENLARGE IT. This is the single underlying goal of mapping.

Add a section on hitsounding; I can help with that if necessary.
Mikii
Hello

I had trouble putting circles on my screen, but thanks to this guide I can place circles better now ty.

You might want to work on the punctuations in the end but otherwise nice guide for beginners :p

Edit: eg the blanket section text might need to be more formal with some capitalisation

I should make my own guides
Bara-
Quite a neat guide
Good job
If only all newbs would read it
Topic Starter
Anxient
doublebump

EDIT1: so that there is a chance that new mappers might come across this and actually read it
Endaris
Why would you bump this, forum rules don't approve.
Anyway, if I was new to mapping I wouldn't give a shit about metadata and difficulty spreads, I'd just want to map a cool diff, so I'd cut these parts and put them at the end instead of the beginning.
Not linking Charles' Timing Tutorial but telling people to cry out to other people for some timing in #modhelp and that thread is also kinda meh. Encourages lazy-ass behaviour.

For any mapping-specific stuff you're barely scratching the surface of several things without pointing directions where you could find out more about a certain topic therefore I doubt that anyone can make a halfdecent map off of this especially since it doesn't even cover all editor-basics the absolute beginner will be most confused about(probably).
Topic Starter
Anxient

Endaris wrote:

Why would you bump this, forum rules don't approve.
Anyway, if I was new to mapping I wouldn't give a shit about metadata and difficulty spreads, I'd just want to map a cool diff, so I'd cut these parts and put them at the end instead of the beginning.
Not linking Charles' Timing Tutorial but telling people to cry out to other people for some timing in #modhelp and that thread is also kinda meh. Encourages lazy-ass behaviour.

For any mapping-specific stuff you're barely scratching the surface of several things without pointing directions where you could find out more about a certain topic therefore I doubt that anyone can make a halfdecent map off of this especially since it doesn't even cover all editor-basics the absolute beginner will be most confused about(probably).
thanks to you I linked Charles' Timing Video, and I appreciate that. And I'm in no position to say this or whatever, but your attitude is really bad. All I'm doing is pointing out the things new mappers should know before barging to #modhelp. Ever wondered why I put a poll up there? If you think this forum post is useless, please. Feel free to select the most bottom option!

As for the metadata being on the beginning, I believe that metadata is the most important as I'm placing everything step by step.

as a closing, this guide is made so that the beginners can know on what the editor can do BASICALLY. As in, 'oh the editor can do this thingie.' If its anything other than that, it wouldn't be called 'ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS' guide. Besides, this guide isn't supposed to guide you on how to make a 'half-decent' map. Thank you for reminding me to add Charles' Timing Tutorial but I don't understand why you need to be so butthurt about it. If you feel like this guide is inferior, just ask kindly. Remember that politeness is important, in or out of the game.

and what exactly does the forum rules do not approve? if its for not giving a reason, ill give you a reason:
so that new potential mappers can read this and know what to do in the editor and will have a guide if they need one.

happy?
Endaris
You looked like you were looking for feedback so I was trying to give some.

it doesn't even cover all editor-basics the absolute beginner will be most confused about
I think this point still stands.
The only Editor-Functions you're giving a usable introduction to is naming Distance/Beat-Snap plus mentioning the appropriate key to toggle/change it plus adding examples.

Aside from that you talk a lot of what the outcome of the map should avoid/do, but you skip on a good part of Editor-Functions that are kind of vital, for example bookmarks, Hitsounds, Grid Snap(while this is kind of intuitive by design you could mention which size is good and when you should toggle it off), inherited timing sections(volume, Kiai, Sampleset, SV).
Also mentioning SV for the timing in general would be a good idea I think.
On the other hand I could ask: What do I need blankets for as it doesn't affect playability at all

If you want to keep your "chronological order" with Metadata first you should look to give absolute beginners some structure they can work with similar to what is done in the first section of Tasha's Taiko Mapping Guide.

I don't think anything from what you've written up to now is wrong or a bad read but to be really good it needs some more description for editor-elements(see above) and structuring a newbie can work with.
You have to decide on what exactly you want this to be:
Putting Metadata at the end would be a nice start for a quickstart-guide where you don't go into detail on anything where you're just saying
"okay these are the absolute most important things you need when you want to start mapping(and you want to do it NOW instead of reading through long descriptions) everything else comes later"
so this wasn't meant to be rude, just a way I imagined how not-so-experienced players might go into mapping.

Bumping threads without content in the bump post is forbidden.
Topic Starter
Anxient
wow I accidentally destroyed my post about thanking Endaris for his help. son of a
Topic Starter
Anxient
bumped so that hopefully new mappers can get to read this.
StoryTime
Brand spanking new shitmapper here, I'm really glad I stumbled upon this guide. As someone who isn't very creative and improves better through learning rather than experimenting, this guide is really helpful. This is gonna help me get my feet on the ground before I start trying to run.
Topic Starter
Anxient
bumping so new mappers get to read this :l
KawaiiChaos
im really confused on how to put music but i have the video can you please help me :? :(
Bara-

Anuar515 wrote:

im really confused on how to put music but i have the video can you please help me :? :(
If you have a .mp3 file (I believe .wav works too, but I'm not sure, just use .mp3) you can press edit in-game, and then drag the mp3 file into the osu screen
ZodiacLyfe
Thanks for the help~ :P
Warfstache
The wiki links for difficulty info are currently broken, giving a "requested page not found" error, navigating directly to the page also gives the same result. Do you have any alternate links with the same information?
Peerie
You have no idea how helpful that was! I've been having so much trouble with figuring out how to time everything properly, but now I think I'll get the hang of this pretty soon! Thank you sooo much! :D
kazu-nya
wait so i can't use 1/16 beat snap divisor? this won't be approved?
Chanci
you can use 1/16 but it's just not recommended for new mappers because they usually use it to snap a mistimed map "correctly", but please stop reviving old threads
MisterHiroyuki
This was helpful, as I know the meaning of new terms now. I am still confused about many things but I'm sure that after rereading it a few times I'll get a grip on the basics!
Thank you for spending your time on writing this to help people you don't know when you didn't have to. Also the masochist part XD
-Koe-

Anxient wrote:

doublebump

EDIT1: so that there is a chance that new mappers might come across this and actually read it

I just read it, I might start mapping now
Noviahoa
I need help and hope you are reading this lmao.

What do you use to download songs and put them to Osu and edit? I am not sure about what site I should use.
Crashio
Please help wth am I doing wrong?
MTG

Anxient wrote:

bump

EDIT1: so that there is a chance that new mappers might read this
me lol
Zelzatter Zero

MTGPROD wrote:

Anxient wrote:

bump

EDIT1: so that there is a chance that new mappers might read this
me lol
Dude just read, why necropost?
Liquiddy
rip can someone make a latest version of this or send me a video? I am very new and would like to make beatmaps
aiq

Liquiddy wrote:

rip can someone make a latest version of this or send me a video? I am very new and would like to make beatmaps
pls dont necropost

anyway, this playlist by pishifat will help you out