forum

What was the worst anime you've ever seen?

posted
Total Posts
show more
EneT

abraker wrote:

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
I think it's time we partake in the long standing English tradition of fisticuffs >:(
Comfy Slippers

Green Platinum wrote:

Xclamator3 wrote:

Kill la kill= don't even get me started
Get started because Kill la Kill is amazing
Not OP, but I will

It's not funny
It's not original/clever/unique
Huge budget with underwhelming animations
Overall a bad spoof
Side characters fade away with each passing episode. But they're onedimensional characters with some generic archetypes sprinked on top, so not like it matters all that much
Ending is a massive plot hole (tho that's nothing new in KLK)
Key plot points are super random and have little to no buildup and foreshadowing
It's over the top (in a bad way) where it forces bigger than life elements in specific scenarios just to make it more grandiose and, honestly, I don't buy all that jazz.

Now, I understand why someone would like it, but there's really no place for neglecting small issues that pile up, especially if OP is like me - hint: very nitpicky when it comes to certain shows. Similar issues can be found in another poor spoof that goes by the name Panty and Stocking.

For some over the top juiciness I'd recommend TTGL, Redline, Space Dandy, hell even Excel Saga will do.All of these surpass KLK when it comes to being over the top. I'd recommend some obscure series, but I'm not super keen when it comes to DUDEWTFEPICSHITBRODISHYPEAF shows. Not to say that I didn't watch many, but they were just utter garbage and a complete waste of time. Ye, I'm looking at you Demonblade!

TLDR KlK isn't a GREAT show and is rightfully bashed by many.
abraker

EneT wrote:

abraker wrote:

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
I think it's time we partake in the long standing English tradition of fisticuffs >:(
It became a mess, a repetitive mess. It leads nowhere. Doesn't have a concrete story, follows a stale formula, and is just a soup of personas
Is there something I am missing after a couple dozen episodes? Because that's where I told myself, "ok this is shit, time to stop".
Green Platinum
It exists as an antithesis to Negima and other similar shows at the time. Plus being satirical of Japanese politics and society.

Comfy Slippers wrote:

Green Platinum wrote:

Get started because Kill la Kill is amazing
Not OP, but I will

It's not funny
It's not original/clever/unique
Huge budget with underwhelming animations
Overall a bad spoof
Side characters fade away with each passing episode. But they're onedimensional characters with some generic archetypes sprinked on top, so not like it matters all that much
Ending is a massive plot hole (tho that's nothing new in KLK)
Key plot points are super random and have little to no buildup and foreshadowing
It's over the top (in a bad way) where it forces bigger than life elements in specific scenarios just to make it more grandiose and, honestly, I don't buy all that jazz.

Now, I understand why someone would like it, but there's really no place for neglecting small issues that pile up, especially if OP is like me - hint: very nitpicky when it comes to certain shows. Similar issues can be found in another poor spoof that goes by the name Panty and Stocking.
I don't think OP is like you at all considering the Kancolle ava lol.
I think a lot of your issues simply from Imaishi's style not gelling too well with you I am certain you will hate Dead Leaves if you watched it as it ups those things you hate tenfold.
I'd wager that budget claim comes out of your ass unless you can cite it, I have seen countless people make claims of "Unlimited Budget Works" and "KyoAni Budgets" when the reality is just not true. Since Trigger and Ufotable actually occupy the same building I doubt it was that expensive and time consuming to arrange outsourced CG to them for example.
I also think the series receives undue criticism because of the massive Japanese (but not specifically anime) influence behind it, much of the show is based on Japanese history for example which many anime fans are frankly clueless about and while this sounds like a "You didn't get it" argument I am certain research could cue you into the reasons behind otherwise nonsensical aspects of the show a be savvy enough about foreshadowing. I don't mean to be dismissive.
Comfy Slippers

Green Platinum wrote:

I also think the series receives undue criticism because of the massive Japanese (but not specifically anime) influence behind it, much of the show is based on Japanese history for example which many anime fans are frankly clueless about and while this sounds like a "You didn't get it" argument I am certain research could cue you into the reasons behind otherwise nonsensical aspects of the show a be savvy enough about foreshadowing. I don't mean to be dismissive.
I beg to differ. Depth doesn't necessarily indicate quality, and pop culture often suffers from this 'ignorance'. Many downright horrid works often implement historical elements and fall flat due to poor writing skills or a setting that just doesn't work. Misunderstandings can only take a show so far and it doesn't make up for it being a clusterfuck. Take this with a grain of salt, as it is my extremely subjective PoV.

Inb4 to my knowledge, KLK is (somewhat) inspired by slavery in sengoku period and a more so by ishiyama kassen. Not to say that this is a bad thing. In fact, I believe it's really good and as the general backbone and the atmosphere of KLK is exceptional, but then you take a look at a certain immoral asshole and a megalomaniac that just don't adapt as well as they should and could. Then you start questioning things. KLK would've been a masterpiece if it hadn't gone down the spoof ecchi path with some shonen elements inbetween and if it, instead, constantly stuck with a more serious tone.
Green Platinum
We could ask what a serious and probably dour KLK would be like and I am sure it would be good in it's own right but I tend to find series' that lean heavily on realism lose many of the things that make anime resonate with me. I love abstraction from reality while still making observations about it as is obvious by my favourites (Ashita no Joe, Penguindrum, Katanagatari etc) and KLK obviously aspires to what I believe anime should strive for. Even with it's flaws the series makes me feel the creators had legitimate passion for it.

Kudos for bringing the kinds of discussions I wish were common here
joltypanda
School Days. That was really messed up for me.
abraker
Watched 3 eps of Strike Witches. It has way too much fanservice and such an artificial story line.
I don't think it gets any better.
Green Platinum

abraker wrote:

Watched 3 eps of Strike Witches. It has way too much fanservice and such an artificial story line.
I don't think it gets any better.
That is a good call. It is especially redundant now since Sora No Woto and Girls und Panzer are much better 'moe military' series'. I don't know how much redundancy factors into evaluating a worst anime, an interesting question to ponder.
Maijstro
I really didn't like re:zero ;-;
Yonoshix
KissxSis and Akikan
donghans
definitely pupa
ABD007
Shinmai Maou no Testament >:(
Alfearox
ero manga sensei so fucking boring men
Vaxei Junior
Gabriel DropOut just didnt like it at all
Reactions
Sao II
korewazesty
Tokyo Ghoul season 2, because they butchered the story.
KemZii
Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii. It is so boring
magalphs
11eyes
koemada

korewazesty wrote:

Tokyo Ghoul season 2, because they butchered the story.

and SAO jesus christ
Finis Terrae
Ever heard of "Hametsu no Mars"? That's my answer to this question. It's so bad, I feel good laughing about it
keremaru
Going to have to argue against Samurai Harem. There's probably nothing wrong with it's production value, and it would probably qualify to be better than most anime, but this is just personal preference.

Samurai Harem follows a kid who gets sent to his distant... whatever they were's, dojo by his father, who states that he must be prepared for the threats of modern society, but really just wants him to leave. This is just starting off toxic between the father and his son, who has already done more than enough to be skilled at swordsmanship. And better worse, every single girl falls for the samurai. Being his caretakers, this series tries to convert any and every main female role to be included in this samurai's harem, hence the name. And at the end, the samurai is doing some stuff, when one of his caretakers is taken captive under no suspicion, from a private bathhouse set in motion by the kidnapper, and the samurai gets his ketsu kicked, essentially making him seem more useless than before. He's trained for God knows how long, maybe 12 years, and he gets annihilated by skill, and the only reason why he gets the girl back is because the perpetrator's sister confesses her secret emotions to him? That's calling BS, and that's why I don't like this show. Nothing is wrong with the attempts to make this great; in fact, it's tried to humanize their characters more than some anime I've seen recently, but it's plot development, reference and execution are what I feel as lacking.
Li77L3
Sword Art Online 2 •̀.̫•́✧
blvknight
elfen lied and kaze no stigma
MisakiTobisawa-

Angelsim wrote:

Gabriel DropOut just didnt like it at all

nani the f how is that possible

but answering the question:

Binsu wrote:

Sword Art Online 2 •̀.̫•́✧
[-Kazu-]
Sword art online.
I shouldn't have to explain why...
-Koe-
Hand shaker
LazerLove
Toradora
[ - Hinami - ]
Dragon ball, ew.
Momori
School days
TamakoSenpai
Mostly School Days For Me
[pGA]Remilia
Mahou Sensou.
They rushed the final episode so bad.
zic0r_
all the seasons of Uta no ☆ Prince-sama ♪ Maji Love Legend Star sucks because the main character is rubbish, the story was the same in all the seasons it has and it was so boring, the anime is literally the same as Magic Kyun! Renaissance and Kiniro no Corda: Primo Passo, literally the worst main characters
Arhippa
Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui!

the most boring, obnoxious pile of asscrack with 0 story progression or character development whatsoever
animeslayergp
elfen lied
PorridgeBoss
Conception And Yosuga No Sora. One of the worst anime I've ever watched.
Sophie Twilight
Oresuki. At first it was a fresh breath of seeing new kind of MC, then it turned out to be another harem meh. The artstyle was weird too, got me more uncomfortable than Jojo's artstyle
Adswire
In my opinion, I love cute girls doing cute things, but it's always a hit or miss.

I honestly didn't enjoy Hunter x hunter at all, though. It is a good anime, but not up my alley at all.

I love other action stuff like Jujutsu Kaisen and My hero aca.
mrpiglins

- Mahiro - wrote:

Oresuki. At first it was a fresh breath of seeing new kind of MC, then it turned out to be another harem meh. The artstyle was weird too, got me more uncomfortable than Jojo's artstyle
But you atleast thought Sumireko was good right?
Asphiee
I'm sure there's worse but I'm currently thinking Okaa-san Online, I was hoping for an guilty pleasure series but turns out it's just a mother and son diving into the VR with the goal of strengthening their filial relationship and stuff
show more