forum

Color-blind [Denied]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +4
Topic Starter
ELEKA22
Is it annoying that place many post?

Color-blind

Idk if there will be colorblind playing Osu! but people could help if it is.

One option (I thought doing a post about the extensions in Osu! but I would get a [Denied]) to fix the colors in Osu, as this is an important part of the gameplay in Osu!
Claudia_old
that's why we have numbers to signal the beginning of a new combo.

not really seeing the purpose here otherwise.
Topic Starter
ELEKA22
But color is also important to the order of the combos, I base myself on it several times. :o
deadbeat

E-Hooker wrote:

that's why we have numbers to signal the beginning of a new combo.

not really seeing the purpose here otherwise.
pretty much this. some maps have colours that are really close to being the same and i still manage to play them just fine cause i just play attention to the combo number. this isn't really that usefull.
Derekku
It's kind of hard to see just numbers when playing harder/fast maps; you go by the colors (even though it really doesn't matter in the long run) or more importantly, the approach circles.

Color-blind modes have been mildly discussed in different forums, but I can't find any good threads. Like I said above, it really shouldn't matter, as color is more of a "bonus" than a "necessity". The only mode that really requires color is Taiko, and there's already a thread dedicated to a color-blind mode for that.

I won't flat-out deny this, but I really don't see this happening.
mm201
Colours matter very little to none for regular osu! gameplay, aside from visibility of approach circles. Even in this case, most people only perceive motion strongly in the LUMA domain, not CHROMA, so those of us with regular vision will still face much the same problems. These problems ought to get caught in the beatmap modding process.

I believe the choice of taiko colours will still provide a strong contrast for most types of colour deficiencies.
Jarby

ELEKA22 wrote:

But color is also important to the order of the combos, I base myself on it several times. :o
Bad luck when you play beatmaps like Break the Ice then.
blissfulyoshi
Out of curiosity, what type of workarounds would you be thinking of to help with colorblindness?
If I had a color wheel, would you would be able make out most of it and have only have small section that blend together?

I sort of want ideas because I want to attempt to make a few parts of a skin to help colorblind people, but I don't know where to start. (No guarantees I will do anything, but there is no way I can start without information)
Guy-kun
My.
God.

These threads make me teem with RAGE. I've already raged in a different colourblind thread but don't want to go looking.

Solving problems that don't need solving.

Step 1)Find colour blind people who have issues playing
Step 2)FIND SOLUTIONS

Not the other way round.

</rage></rage></rage></rage></rage></rage></rage></rage></rage></rage>
mm201
Normal:

Deuteranopia (most common):

Protanopia:

Tritanopia:

gg
Guy-kun
WHAT IF YOU HAVE NO EYES!!!111

WE HAVE TO ACCOMMODATE FOR THOSE PEOPLE IN CASE THEY COME!

OUTPUT THE BEATS OVER THE SERIAL PORT SO I CAN PLAY WITH MY BRAILLE-DEVICE?
James2250
. . . colorblindness can actually be quite common so don't need to be so sarcastic >_>
Guy-kun
Read two post above.
blissfulyoshi
After seeing those things, the only thing that colorblind people really need to worry about are similar combo colors in standard, but those should be fixed by modding. I guess unless there are large specific problems, I won't do anything.
Derekku
Huh. I always thought there was red/blue color-blindness, but I guess I obviously got that confused with Red/Green and Blue/Yellow. I'll just deny this since it's really not useful.
selymsivad
Wow. I think the non-colorblind people are being really biased. You have no idea how hard some things are in osu! because of color. I really don't think it's fair that just because YOU don't see a reason for it because YOU can see the colors, you deny something that could help a LOT of other people with a disability that YOU don't have. I mean seriously, how can you give a solution to something you have no idea what the problem is? (Suggesting counting the numbers)
Oh well. Can't win them all I guess >.>
KRZY
It might help if you came up with a possible solution, you know. Can't just come and say "SOLVE THIS".
Raging Bull
I'm color blind. I don't have much trouble noticing when's a new combo.
Shiro
I'd like to redirect this thread from osu! standard to taiko. It IS extremely difficult if possible at all for some colour-blind people to play it, because some can't see the difference between blue and red.
What I propose is either to be able to choose the colour of taiko drums (in the skin.ini file for instance), either to be able to skin them completely, either to just have a "colour-blind" option for osu! that changes the taiko drums' colours to something more widely seen, like black and white or something.
Raging Bull
Red and blue contrast with each other heavily right? Pretty sure it would be noticeable to anyone.
Sakura

Odaril wrote:

I'd like to redirect this thread from osu! standard to taiko. It IS extremely difficult if possible at all for some colour-blind people to play it, because some can't see the difference between blue and red.
What I propose is either to be able to choose the colour of taiko drums (in the skin.ini file for instance), either to be able to skin them completely, either to just have a "colour-blind" option for osu! that changes the taiko drums' colours to something more widely seen, like black and white or something.
viewtopic.php?p=672178#p672178
Xact

Raging Bull wrote:

Red and blue contrast with each other heavily right? Pretty sure it would be noticeable to anyone.

Anyone...that's not color blind.
Raging Bull
I'm colorblind and I see them perfectly fine >_>
My1_old
one question for what are the combos so important???
mm201
We need to be presented with actual problems before being able to come up with solutions to them. Not generic assumptions.
My1_old
but I want to know for what the combos are important for...
Raging Bull
Gomo Psivarh
Red and blue?

Shouldn't the majority be red-green colorblind?
selymsivad

My1 wrote:

Its not the combos that I have a problem with. Its the background image color making the approaching circles disappear. The approaching circle sometimes blends in with the background picture and makes it incredibly hard to time a beat sometimes. I feel at a disadvantage most of the time. I'm not sure what people could do to try and solve this, but maybe someone can try SOMETHING and colorblind players can give feedback on what can make it better? I just want to even the playing field for all players with visual disabilities is all...
Guy-kun

selymsivad wrote:

My1 wrote:

Its not the combos that I have a problem with. Its the background image color making the approaching circles disappear. The approaching circle sometimes blends in with the background picture and makes it incredibly hard to time a beat sometimes. I feel at a disadvantage most of the time. I'm not sure what people could do to try and solve this, but maybe someone can try SOMETHING and colorblind players can give feedback on what can make it better? I just want to even the playing field for all players with visual disabilities is all...
Delete background images for all songs.

Solved until OSZ2
show more