forum

Why you aren't improving at osu! "HOW DO I GET BETTER?!?!"

posted
Total Posts
show more
YoshiChen
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and I hope I can improve as I am pretty motivated to do so. 8-)
Semaphia

Nactra wrote:

SubbieLOL wrote:

Cheers for the informative post :) The part about seeing patterns as one continuous shape is one I'll definitely take to heart, as there's a certain map I played an ungodly amount of times without ever constantly nailing a certain part of it.

I'm actually quite happy with my progress overall, but I've a question in regards to improvement that I'm yet to see answered (my Google skills are trash), so I thought this would be a good place to ask.

When I started playing 6/7 months ago, I'd just not start a new map until I FC'd the one I was currently progressing (unless it was obviously beyond my skill set). I came back a few weeks back, and picked up right where I left off - With that same mentality. Ended up finding a song and playing it over 300 times without getting the FC before deciding this just wasn't what I wanted to do.

So I got the supporter, went on osu! Direct, and downloaded lots of stuff that seemed interesting to me (VGM, JPOP, ambient/electronic stuff). But now it's still the same... Do I accept a non FC clear of a map I'm pretty sure I can get through, mix it up a bit & broaden my experience, or do I go all out until I can, to the best of my abilities, "conquer the map"?

TL/DR: in terms of progression & all other things being equal, do I go hard for achievable FC's until I get them, or mix it up & come back to them with broader game knowledge & experience?

Waiting for FC isn't optimal. The easiest way to FC a map is to go play something much harder and come back to it once you can pass it.

imo the best possible course is:
-identify your FC limit
- identify your passing limit

play slightly above your FC limit to improve performance
play slightly above your passing limit to keep learning harder
come back to fc the slightly above FC when you're tired, it will feel EZ

you'll rise much faster than by stacking 300 consecutives tries on your level
I know it's a bit of a late response, but I just wanted to say thanks for the help :)

I've been trying to push a little higher while dipping back every now and then and playing maps I KNOW I can improve on, and you're right, it does feel a lot easier this way.I've added quite a few new 4*+ clears to my game this week, along with my first 1k combo & the first 1k PP total (after 79 hours), and your advice has definitely helped me get there.

There's also this 5* map I think I can do, but I'm not sure now's the time to go for that :)
Edit: I went for it, and I passed it after 5 tries (tonight)! :)
nikky
just buy osu!supporter
insta-better! 99.99% of the time.

if ever you didn't improve after buying osu!supporter then you're one of those unlucky 0.01% osu!supporters.
also we won't give you a refund.
Maze

imdiseum wrote:

just buy osu!supporter
insta-better! 99.99% of the time.

if ever you didn't improve after buying osu!supporter then you're one of those unlucky 0.01% osu!supporters.
also we won't give you a refund.
Yes, this information is correct. As soon as I bought it I gained 1000 pp instantly.
Alexander911
To be honest the only thing i've copyed is someone's setup on their sensitivity from top mouse players.
vicstar

Nactra wrote:

SubbieLOL wrote:

Cheers for the informative post :) The part about seeing patterns as one continuous shape is one I'll definitely take to heart, as there's a certain map I played an ungodly amount of times without ever constantly nailing a certain part of it.

I'm actually quite happy with my progress overall, but I've a question in regards to improvement that I'm yet to see answered (my Google skills are trash), so I thought this would be a good place to ask.

When I started playing 6/7 months ago, I'd just not start a new map until I FC'd the one I was currently progressing (unless it was obviously beyond my skill set). I came back a few weeks back, and picked up right where I left off - With that same mentality. Ended up finding a song and playing it over 300 times without getting the FC before deciding this just wasn't what I wanted to do.

So I got the supporter, went on osu! Direct, and downloaded lots of stuff that seemed interesting to me (VGM, JPOP, ambient/electronic stuff). But now it's still the same... Do I accept a non FC clear of a map I'm pretty sure I can get through, mix it up a bit & broaden my experience, or do I go all out until I can, to the best of my abilities, "conquer the map"?

TL/DR: in terms of progression & all other things being equal, do I go hard for achievable FC's until I get them, or mix it up & come back to them with broader game knowledge & experience?

Waiting for FC isn't optimal. The easiest way to FC a map is to go play something much harder and come back to it once you can pass it.

imo the best possible course is:
-identify your FC limit
- identify your passing limit

play slightly above your FC limit to improve performance
play slightly above your passing limit to keep learning harder
come back to fc the slightly above FC when you're tired, it will feel EZ

you'll rise much faster than by stacking 300 consecutives tries on your level
I was watching a video about something a while back, and I remember they were doing a study on optimal learning. Essentially the number they came up with was 4%.

Push your limits to 4% of what you are capable of, every day, and eventually you will see exponential growth.

That kind of ties to a video I saw from some big name in osu (I legit dont remember) and they were saying something along the lines of "if you are playing maps you can FC, you are playing maps that are too easy"
Runescape Mole
all u have to do is keep playing the beatmap even doe u mess up your combo it helps ye know :)
DarknessSoldier
Hey I only bought a tablet because I didn't like playing with mouse. It was uncomfortable, and hard to play with, my aim was super off, etc.
Ayu-chan1
This is actually true, and i learned something new. Thanks!
kai99
my friend gets pissed off when i say this as a tip but it's areally valid tip. whether you are improvong or not, play more.
Kujar3
Well I'll be damned, this is not another "play more" and/or "practice" response to "how do I get better". I wasn't frustrated to see these answers pop-up, not at all. I just did that... Played more. But this thread really goes in-depth on what to look for, what to avoid and what to try not to do. I can now examine my replays with a slightly different light. Thanks a lot!

I see this a lot tho, I have a small community, some play Osu too. I never got the obsession of griding PP or the like when the people are just starting out and are at the same "skill" level as me. I am opening Osu every day I can, excited to listen to some nice music while playing. I am getting the enjoyement not from "surpassing" someone on a score or PP but from passing songs I was thinking "how the hell do people do this" during my first days. Seeing me doing some hard-ish jump section or passing a stream, despite the accuracy being trash in the rest of the map is amazing.

Seeing little improvements gives me joy. I probably spent way too much time on 2* maps, where I could already start grinding 3* but I was enjoying playing my slow 2* maps. Then in a multiplayer match people were constantly throwing 3* maps in and I noticed I am much better at them than the last time I tried, so now I am in a 3* phase, jumps are becoming less scary, streams are... well, I can do them, but the accuracy is questionable, and you'll not find long streams on 3* either but hey! After passing Hades in the Heaven [Hard] I was really proud of myself, yeah accuracy 88% is nothing to bloat about but many did it feel good, if only because this was one of the first maps I downloaded, I think the Normal version is my most played map, I love the song and I also tried the hard version when I had no idea what a "stream" even is and went "well I am never clearing this" but it happened.

I guess the bottom line is that finding enjoyement in the smallest thing is important, if you can do that and not force yourself to "become the best" in the shortest ammount of time (it's not going to work out spoilers), you'll have much more of an easier time playing this game. Kudos for the post, loved it!
Sorry for any errors in text, it's almost 4 a.m. and all I am thinking about now is my bed.
VinZentVanDough

Kujar3 wrote:

Finding enjoyement in the smallest thing is important, if you can do that and not force yourself to "become the best" in the shortest ammount of time (it's not going to work out spoilers), you'll have much more of an easier time playing this game.

Sums up the reason why pro players stick to osu for years like wolf and doomsday.

They play for fun.:)
WilLight
I was very surprised by the most common reply 'play more' being the most helpful one. osu doesn't seem to be a game that you can just understand and win. You basically build up muscle memory. Map out the places on your tablet, or the movement patterns on your mouse. Move quicker, click faster, be more accurate. All of these things come with practice. Sometimes you change something and it works out better, sometimes it doesn't. Yet, you come and play again, feel the flow, succeed, overcome.

Personally, I play osu for multiplayer fun, or that particular moment of adrenaline high when I being in god mode. Also, I found a lot more primarily eastern songs that I would miss if not for osu. As long as the game has something for you, you will get better as long as you strive for it.
Kyozix
Nice advice, I'll try to do those and see if improvements will be made.
DXPOHIHIHI
"You believe a tablet will make you "INSTA-BETTER""

Well obviously! We are not fucking retarded to not know this, mastering tablet is just like mastering how to walk with prostethic legs, you can't just fucking master it on one try, op is retarded
Burkitt
Everything listed here is pretty true for me lul
Deva

szkiller wrote:

"You believe a tablet will make you "INSTA-BETTER""

Well obviously! We are not fucking retarded to not know this, mastering tablet is just like mastering how to walk with prostethic legs, you can't just fucking master it on one try, op is retarded
Tablet did make me insta better actually >_>
PragmaticMeru
penis
koemada
honestly everythings true lmao,,,
wisaoo
bullshit, fuq u and ur advices. shitposter
there is only one rule
no other rules except for this rule
NEVER GIVE UP
KaeKayyy
Almost 2k pp (9pp left to go) in 6 months(108 hours) and a 170pp top play. I'm improving just ok but its my accuracy thats taking a shit (92.12%) any tips on acc improvement this far in the game?
Endaris

TehShpee1337 wrote:

Almost 2k pp (9pp left to go) in 6 months(108 hours) and a 170pp top play. I'm improving just ok but its my accuracy thats taking a shit (92.12%) any tips on acc improvement this far in the game?

thelewa wrote:

If you have really bad accuracy then just try to really look at the approach circles and really try to get acc that is above 97%, increase this minimum accuracy once you get better at it, capping out at 99%. Going for SS is useless for your general accuracy if you use a billion tries for it, so it's not worth the effort. Eventually something will click into place and accuracy will get easier.
winz
my accuracy used to also be very bad (95% fc on if you can't hang, lol) but it got better once i switched from membrane to red switches b/c i didn't have to bottom out all the time; that and things like what thelewa suggested really helped me :P
som_noob
i agree...exept for the tablet part,i have a trash laptop touchpad(not touchscreen) idk what its called lmao)i would say if you have a trash mouse or a touchpad then get a tablet\mouse.but you cant just go saying to yourself "WOW my mouse\...whatever you use is TRASH"so yeah
Rythmbomb
s
FenixV2

thelewa wrote:

I just read all of this and surprisingly everything is true

RIP
zeronohero
and play more don't forget to enjoy game
cIementine
I found that if I just kept downloading a bunch of new songs it kept the game way more fresh, so I was able to improve a lot since I was having more fun with the game than earning pp.
XDuchy
Hi I'm late. I'm surprised that I don't get most of the cases you listed given that I just started osu! this August and I've been improving a lot.
Icekilleris125
I increase my mouse sensitivy i can do better now on normal haha
SMG3
Hooray! 727th post.

A meme has been summoned into place.
Tenpii
5 years late but you put a lot of effort into this post, thank you ^_^
KuroWaffle
You are my saviour. Legit instant progess, thanks bro!
DrTrouserPlank
I'm at about 4 days of real in game time and feel as though I've hit the limit of what is possible (I'm actually getting worse at this point) I don't think there really is much you can do to improve once you reach a hard-sticking point like I have. Sadly at that point however the game loses a lot of it's appeal once you basically have no hope of improving any more.
-Shoga-
This was a practical read thank you.
Asodia
Well, i think, you must FC map on 7-8* or go to the top #1 of the random map?
PixelRhythm
So true, and helpful as well. another thing is to just practice and be patient.
Benjirich
Since I've tried playing on a low dose of psychedelics I have noticed that at some point the sub consciousness completely takes over and all you can do is try to stay focused and let your mind do it's thing. Realizing this helped me a lot, you aren't getting better, you are just teaching your sub consciousness to play. If you understand that you will make progress much quicker because you play very different. What also helps is to never set any goals, don't attempt to Fc that or pass this. Just play for the reason to get better, that way the plays will randomly come, you don't get frustrated and it is amazing to see that every time you play a map you're a bit better rather than learning the whole map by trying it over and over again until you finally forced that FC.
II Lemons 22
I've found this youtube video to be quite useful when increasing my tapping speed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDuHdy1zIO0
I've did some googling and found the muscle group that was causing me pain when I was taping and have been doing the exercise to help me play better. Hope it helps
ImUnknow
I think that its impossible to reach beyond your limit, and my limit - is 3 stars. Every time when i want to play osu, i playing 3-5 2.5-4* maps and then doing a regequit, because i failing ALL of them or make my best only to reach B rank. And this happend EVERY TIME. I loosing my hope every time i play this game, and even if i trying to improve my skill - nothing really happening, i just wasting my time. So im just starts to thinking that this game is not for me. Is this right?
(sorry for bad english, its not my main language)
show more