forum

[Archived] fps decreases overtime

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Gopice
This is not about the latest fps-cap implemented in the newest osu-me release.

Since once of the latest releases, the fps seems to decline overtime when playing osu-me.
It seems like it is a kind of a resourceleak, as it happens after playing a multitude of beatmaps.
The FPS decreases from 4000 fps to around to 300 FPS! (tested when there wasn't any fps-cap yet).
I tested this on multiple pc's at my home, and they all have the same issue.
The fps returns to normal after restarting osu-me, but I thought it was worth mentioning as this could be quite a bottleneck for older pc's.
I dont know at what release this problem started to occure, but it did not happen in one of the older releases.

One unrelated question: Why is there a fps cap in the latest release?
peppy
Can't replicate. Please provide more details on how you are testing; what maps etc.
Topic Starter
Gopice
I can't test it right now because of the fps-cap, how could I get my hands on the previous release?
anonymous_old
I got this too. I thought it was my computer acting up lately (I know I need a new harddrive; current one is bordering on death).

I don't think the decline was gradual, though; when I started osu! I got over 1000 FPS but after a while it hovered around 500 FPS, then 300 FPS.

With the latest public though I have noticed a gradual decline. When I started osu! I got around 230 and now (17 hour uptime) I hit around 200.
krius_old
hm this is something I noticed too since maybe the release before this one,
osu memory usage will increase over time, i'll post pic first

I'm aware the game hasn't loaded everything at startup so after one song memory consumption is like this

but it seems there is a problem, memory may not be freed correctly upon song completion.
after 4 hour playing various songs you get this

to replicate, just play an extended amount of time,

by the way playing with directX renderer, on windows Vista SP2

peppy
This is correct behaviour. This is how the CLR manages memory. If I was to turn on aggressive memory collection osu! will remain <10mb throughout execution. You do not want this. osu! keeps this RAM aside and caches things for future use. This is correct behaviour and is not a bug. All memory is being freed.
anonymous_old

peppy wrote:

This is correct behaviour. This is how the CLR manages memory. If I was to turn on aggressive memory collection osu! will remain <10mb throughout execution. You do not want this. osu! keeps this RAM aside and caches things for future use. This is correct behaviour and is not a bug. All memory is being freed.
Still, FPS drops, and that's a problem.

I don't think it's a memory (space) issue because I have plenty of free space.
peppy
No point in talking about fps until the limit is remove anyway.
MaMaSam
You get 1000fps when you start up that is normal but when you play games it decreaces allot because it is using more graphics. You get 1000fps in stat up cause it uses a little graphic. How much frames you get depends on your graphic card.
MaMaSam

strager wrote:

peppy wrote:

Still, FPS drops, and that's a problem.

I don't think it's a memory (space) issue because I have plenty of free space.
FPS drop is because you are doing something that uses alot of graphics in the game. Example when I play a beat map I get much lower frames
MaMaSam

Gopice wrote:

This is not about the latest fps-cap implemented in the newest osu-me release.

Since once of the latest releases, the fps seems to decline overtime when playing osu-me.
It seems like it is a kind of a resourceleak, as it happens after playing a multitude of beatmaps.
The FPS decreases from 4000 fps to around to 300 FPS! (tested when there wasn't any fps-cap yet).
I tested this on multiple pc's at my home, and they all have the same issue.
The fps returns to normal after restarting osu-me, but I thought it was worth mentioning as this could be quite a bottleneck for older pc's.
I dont know at what release this problem started to occure, but it did not happen in one of the older releases.

One unrelated question: Why is there a fps cap in the latest release?
I am assuming that you get 4000fps in start up then after you play a few games you chose a beat map that requires lots of graphic I rekon thats why you got 300fps.
UpyonWnoypU
welp, in my case, at first the game run about 240 fps (unstable) in the menu and decreases on the song select. When i scroll trough the menu it decreases to 180 (and not going back to 240). On gameplay, at first i got about 3 ms latency. As i play more though (about 5 beatmaps) the latency went up to 11 ms which makes me restart the game. At first it's gone. But it keeps coming back. Please help :"'v
Death
Please make a new thread instead of bumping one that is 9 years old.